Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can the map edge support?  (Read 985 times)

timesavatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can the map edge support?
« on: April 23, 2011, 03:10:15 am »

As the title says, I was wondering if an obsidian floor cast to the edge of the map will be supported? I'm just wondering this since it would after casting be considered a natural floor(able to have mud and vegetation) by the game right?
Sin is a joke compared to Lavos. Sin just flopped around and blew a couple of towns. Lavos exterminated the entire face of the earth and tore apart the fabric of space and time by simply existing.
DvDangerous@youtube

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Can the map edge support?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 04:31:30 am »

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be, unless you're trying to cast it in the air away from a surface. The edge of the map itself doesn't provide support.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 05:17:21 am »

The edge of the map itself doesn't provide support.

Are you sure about that?
Never pet a burning dog.

timesavatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 05:22:22 am »

So if I cast obsidian to the edge of the map and then remove all support from the ground the obsidian will fall? Then, in this version of DF, there is no instance where you can build a sky ceiling without support from the ground?
Sin is a joke compared to Lavos. Sin just flopped around and blew a couple of towns. Lavos exterminated the entire face of the earth and tore apart the fabric of space and time by simply existing.
DvDangerous@youtube

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 05:31:58 am »

Then, in this version of DF, there is no instance where you can build a sky ceiling without support from the ground?

Have you tried attaching a Support directly to the sky, and suspending a construction from it?
Never pet a burning dog.

timesavatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 05:33:48 am »

Yeah, that doesn't work, as soon as you remove the ground support any horizontal construction collapses.
DvDangerous@youtube

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 05:35:29 am »

Yeah, that doesn't work, as soon as you remove the ground support any horizontal construction collapses.
Have you actually tested this? I know (and personally verified) that casting an obsidian wall at the very highest Z-level will allow it to 'stick' to the sky without support. At least in 31.12 when I tested it.

timesavatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 05:40:28 am »

A previous post of mine that has the sky support explained:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81755.msg2161589#msg2161589
DvDangerous@youtube

timesavatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 05:51:28 am »

Ok, CapnUrist was obviously right, tested using dfliquids, obsidian column collapsed as soon as the support was removed . I wanted a bubble to be suspended from the ceiling too...   :(
DvDangerous@youtube

Puresowns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 11:18:17 am »

Use a 1x1 column of clear glass blocks in one of the corners as a support :P
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

timesavatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 12:39:33 pm »

Yeah, I guess I will need access to the top level anyway so it might as well be a a cool tower somehow to get up there. Anyway, I still have a clean map to design it the way I want it.
DvDangerous@youtube

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 08:38:33 pm »

For style points, build massive iron block columns which hold up the sky.