Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stealing from Merchants  (Read 2512 times)

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
Stealing from Merchants
« on: April 22, 2011, 08:55:45 pm »

I've recently discovered that you can steal items from merchants by viewing the items in the trade depot (T) and marking what you want to be dumped. your dwarfs will happily pillage the goods and drop them off at your dump site. Free booze for everyone!
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stealing from Merchants
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:59:37 pm »

I learned that if you seize goods from the elves, because you accidentally hit T when meaning to mark more elven booze for trade, after marking ALL of your rock crapgoods as trade items, that you cannot then sell those same items to either the humans or the dwarves when their caravans show up.

Apparently, hot goods are not trade-able. ;(
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 09:02:58 pm »

I'll keep that in mind, i mostly steal food/wood/other consumables, so i haven't run into this yet.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 09:05:17 pm »

Not sure if that happens if you ordered the items dumped, however, so you might be safe doing it that way. ;)

When I learned that lesson I was mad at myself for hitting T, and took it out on the hippies (cause I was disappointed they weren't at war with the dwarves already  :P ).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 09:31:15 pm »

I learned that if you seize goods from the elves, because you accidentally hit T when meaning to mark more elven booze for trade, after marking ALL of your rock crapgoods as trade items, that you cannot then sell those same items to either the humans or the dwarves when their caravans show up.

Apparently, hot goods are not trade-able. ;(

If you encrust/stud/sew something on the items, they count as yours and can be traded.

You can also deconstruct the depot after the merchants have unloaded their goods to steal everything, without moving anything to the depot or even having a broker.  And you can 'v'iew merchants or guards, check their 'i'nventory, and 'd'ump and un'f'orbid items they are wearing.  Useful for human weapons and dwarven weapons and armor.  ;D  This will probably make them bring less next time, and may cause them to send a siege instead of a caravan if they don't like you (dwarves will never siege).

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 11:35:36 pm »

The main issue with robbing the caravan is that they will bring less value next year.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 11:43:57 pm »

The main issue with robbing the caravan is that they will bring less value next year.

But being a ghostie on these boards I hear that that is actually a good thing, for elves anyways. I hear they bring more animals than cloth because they will make less profit on the animals.

So burn and pillage them, and when they bring you your frontline defense.

Rap, just kidding they don't deserve dwarven seed/eggs.
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 05:47:23 pm »

hmmm..... pillage the elves until they bring you awesome guard animals... i might just try that.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 06:00:35 pm »

But being a ghostie on these boards I hear that that is actually a good thing, for elves anyways. I hear they bring more animals than cloth because they will make less profit on the animals.
That used to be true, but it isn't now. It used to be true because elves had a strictly limited amount that they could bring due to the fact that pack animals couldn't carry much, so they were capable of filling the animals' weight limit entirely with cloth and wouldn't bring wagons. Now that pack animals can carry more, elves are no longer capable of carrying only cloth, so they bring more of everything if they're pleased with you, so they bring more animals if they're pleased with you.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 06:39:40 pm »

That used to be true, but it isn't now. It used to be true because elves had a strictly limited amount that they could bring due to the fact that pack animals couldn't carry much, so they were capable of filling the animals' weight limit entirely with cloth and wouldn't bring wagons. Now that pack animals can carry more, elves are no longer capable of carrying only cloth, so they bring more of everything if they're pleased with you, so they bring more animals if they're pleased with you.

Yeah but, who wants to please the elves?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 06:50:22 pm »

Yeah but, who wants to please the elves?
Irrelevant. No one wants to please the elves, but pleasing the elves has its benefits nowadays, whereas previously pissing them off was better.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 07:25:20 pm »

Well that sucks. I can't burn elves and get rewarded for it.

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 07:59:36 pm »

Goodness sadism is it's own reward.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 09:01:41 pm »

Goodness sadism is it's own reward.

Yeah it most definitely will. Mwahahaha..... er I mean *gets drunk* blarghy hedeefee *builds contraption*

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 11:34:27 pm »

Elf hatred is inappropriate.  I kill all the humans.  They actually have weapons, and you know, fight back? Elves are for recruits, or war dogs, or war geese
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: [1] 2