Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Can't find sun berries  (Read 6831 times)

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't find sun berries
« on: April 22, 2011, 07:57:21 pm »

I lost count, but I've tried dozens of embark locations on a couple different worlds and haven't been able to find any sun berries.  No feather trees either, but I'm not interested in them.  And yes, I've been going to good areas.  Seen plenty of fluffy wamblers and pixies, and good type grasses, but no sun berries.  Heard that in evil areas, its either undead, or silver barbs plus glumprongs, but not both.  I'm thinking this is the same thing for good areas, where I just have to find the right spot, but I'm getting tired of searching.

On top of that, I've tried cheating modding to get them.  Changed an existing reaction to make sun berries, and it worked fine.  Made a few to start with, and I was able to brew them.  Went to plant the seeds and they don't show up in the farm menu.  Its not from a lack of access, they're in the in same stockpile as my whip vine seeds and those can be planted just fine.  No burrows, same room as the farm, not forbidden, nothing.

Right now I'll take any help I can get.  A way to find them, a world where someones already found them, or a way to be mod them in and be able to farm them.  I'd like to avoid having them grow everywhere or having to spam custom reactions if possible.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
Re: Can't find sun berries
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:14:30 pm »

They're found in good areas near pools and rivers/brooks.  Never in freezing biomes.  They're seemingly more rare than other fruits but I have no problem finding them if I embark in a good area with any amount of water on the map.
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 09:15:31 pm »

Keep trying for a year or two.

DrSazar

• Bay Watcher
  • He is in a constant state of internal rage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 09:20:59 pm »

I have the same problem. No sun berries or feather trees in all embark locations. Even when I modded the sunberries to appear in both dry and wet areas I had no success.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 09:30:45 pm »

Same problem here. I usually have some good squares and some neutral squares and have yet to find sunberries. Probably works on a 100% good embark site though.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 10:04:41 pm »

From the vanilla raws:

Code: [Select]
[PLANT:BERRY_SUN]
[NAME:sun berry][NAME_PLURAL:sun berries][ADJ:sun berry]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:3]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[PICKED_TILE:58][PICKED_COLOR:6:0:1]
[WET][GOOD][BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
[VALUE:3]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:DRINK:PLANT_ALCOHOL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen sunshine]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:sunshine]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling sunshine]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:5]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:6:0:1]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:100]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[PREFSTRING:inner light]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[SEED:sun berry seed:sun berry seeds:4:0:1:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]

So let's see where they would be, eh?  They've got a high frequency, but only appear in wet, good, non-freezing biomes.  That means the biome will need to be wetlands... but not too wet or other plants will take up it's slots.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 09:53:54 am »

Been looking in wet areas, and tried adding the [DRY] tag, but that didn't help.   Only other thing I changed was their appearance,  I added [SHRUB_COLOR:6:0:1] so they would show up as yellow instead of green (It worked for strawberries to turn them red).

I'm going to try messing around with the frequency tag, see if that helps at all.  If that doesn't work I'll download dwarf Fortress again.  I'm pretty sure this is a bug, because I haven't seen any feather trees either, and those are easy to spot.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 10:00:46 am »

I believe that the current version has a bug that prevents good-only and evil-only crops/trees from growing. Sliver barbs and glumprong have the same thing going on these days.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 12:57:19 pm »

I believe that the current version has a bug that prevents good-only and evil-only crops/trees from growing. Sliver barbs and glumprong have the same thing going on these days.

Source required.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 02:26:30 pm »

Confirming this, see the bug on the bugtracker: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=4133

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 03:22:51 pm »

According to the bug report they went from rare to non-existent in 31.19, and the last time I check was before that came out.    It's probably whats stopping the seeds from being planted too.  Oh well, thanks anyways.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 05:09:57 pm »

Interestingly, if you add good or evil tags to subterranean plants, they'll appear everywhere. The only effect it will have is restricting their availability to civs, based on whether they have [USE_GOOD_PLANTS] or [USE_EVIL_PLANTS]. So you could use this to block dwarves from using a plant you want people to have to breach caverns for.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 06:48:24 pm »

Well the underground is neither good nor evil, horizontally.  The first cavern is "good", the second "neutral", and the third "evil".
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 07:10:19 am »

is this still broken as 31.25??

I'm in a temperate grassland Joyous Wilds ( Good Savage ) and I've seen

* Animals: mountain gnome, satyr, unicorn, merperson, gorlak
* Plants: sun berry
* Trees: feather tree
* Vermin: fluffy wambler, fairy, pixie

Merperson I asume I'll have to be in an ocean, I haven't yet seen mountain gnomes or gorlaks...
Sun berries and feather trees are nowhere.... I have murky pools and a river, I get willow trees [WET]...
I've been able to get all plants except for sun berries and sliver barb.... the latter I'd need an evil non-freezing biome or trade with the goblins ::)
Is there any workaround? or are we doomed to live without sun berries, sliver barbs, feather trees and glumprongs??? :'(
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 07:38:02 am by Kaos »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 07:30:41 am »

I'm pretty sure it's still broken.  Sun berries and sliver barbs don't show up in the current version at all.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2 3