Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The "Give the Poster above you a fortress goal" thread.  (Read 8015 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: The "Give the Poster above you a fortress goal" thread.
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 11:51:47 am »

Easiest setup: All sides 1 color each.
Hardest setup: Use a scrambled setup. (use your own cube as reference)

What if my own cube is solved? :-[

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

elpyfo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 12:08:14 pm »

Poster above me, I hereby give you the sacred task to create a sacred temple to Armok, on a terrifying glacier or similar sacred place of !!Fun!!. The temple's floors have to be solid gold blocks, and filled with bloodstone-encrusted metal statues of the various gods your civilization worships. Blood covering and adamantine altar,huge skull/bone stockpiles and magma moats are optional, but recommended. STRIKE THE EARTH.
Proud to be part of this horrible lot.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 12:53:44 pm »

...maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 01:23:19 pm »

Then you have the Easiest setup to work with. Scramble it or rotate a few rows until you get a desired setup for a bit more of a challenge.

EDIT:
What's great about this challenge is that there are nearly countless variations of the challenge, depending on how your cube is setup.

According to Wikipedia, that makes just about 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 different variations that can be made just by the color scheme alone.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:45:26 pm by Itnetlolor »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 01:52:55 pm »

Then you have the Easiest setup to work with. Scramble it or rotate a few rows until you get a desired setup for a bit more of a challenge.

EDIT:
What's great about this challenge is that there are nearly countless variations of the challenge, depending on how your cube is setup.

According to Wikipedia, that makes just about 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 different variations that can be made just by the color scheme alone.

Instead of being my fort could I make it a giant arena connected to a bunch of other Rubiz Cube shaped arenas ?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, 02:39:56 pm »

EDIT:

Instead of being my fort could I make it a giant arena connected to a bunch of other Rubiz Cube shaped arenas ?
Make each one color coded with all different kinds of death traps, and name it... Cube!

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2011, 12:50:32 am »

I botched the mug something horrible. Seems that 25 z-levels isn't enough to construct one that is taller than it is wide and still have it A. look like a mug, B. functions as a fortress, and C. hold more than a pittance of magma. Additionally, badgers successfully annoyed me to the point where I felt the need to remove them. As for the second task I was given, science suggests that building a fort suspended from the sky tends to result in unprovoked collapse if one doesn't make sure there's a support suspending each tile. So! Next challenge, please?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2011, 03:47:12 pm »

Choose a place to build your fortress set the layout then dig a Fifty Z-level ( and fifty tile wide if possible ) deep Channel all the way around. Connect your fortress to the main land via four wooden bridges, and dig out all the land underneath your fortress, and have it held up by some supports.

Also you must make a second smaller fortress dug into the side of said Channel it must be completely self suffiecent, and must house atleast ten dwarves. It must be completely cut off fromt eh outside world, so if your fortress above gets taken you can rebuild there, adn then take back the fortress.
( I don't know if that is to challenge or time consuming just tell me. )

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2011, 03:56:51 pm »

Build an execution chamber with magma. This needs: A door that you can lock and unlock from the outside, A room wich can get rid of magma after the execution. And a toogle-able floodgate with magma behind. As a completion of the goal. YOu have to kill one miner in this chamber. :D

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2011, 09:04:01 pm »

Choose a place to build your fortress set the layout then dig a Fifty Z-level ( and fifty tile wide if possible ) deep Channel all the way around. Connect your fortress to the main land via four wooden bridges, and dig out all the land underneath your fortress, and have it held up by some supports.

Also you must make a second smaller fortress dug into the side of said Channel it must be completely self suffiecent, and must house atleast ten dwarves. It must be completely cut off fromt eh outside world, so if your fortress above gets taken you can rebuild there, adn then take back the fortress.
( I don't know if that is to challenge or time consuming just tell me. )

Given that a single embark tile is 48x48 tiles once one gets to building their fort, I think a 50-tile wide chasm isn't going to be viable. I can probably do 25 tiles, though; the depth I will work with. Soothedmold, strike the earth!

Ah, forgot to hit post. Fort is coming along well enough, given that I'm treating my first few embarks as a disposable workforce. About two thirds of the top level of chasm has been created, with a few bits being deeper. We just had our first cave-in, which caused two suffocations out of five injured parties. I suspect we'll lose the rest to infection - work must continue as quickly as possible, so they'll have to suffer along without a hospital.

Edit: I'm playing a modded ratmen civ, which is why I'm being so callous. They don't have [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE], so I suspect that the idlers'll do a good job of replacing any lost folks, given enough time.

Edit2: Forgot to issue a challenge. Tahlin, your challenge is the one posted below me. >_>
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 09:35:57 pm by Keldane »
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2011, 09:09:35 pm »

make a blender used to turn elves into frapee when their caravans (and armies later on) arrive drop them in bonus if you make elves butcherable and eat them.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2011, 09:53:19 pm »

Build a fortress as a bubble. It should be shaped like a bubble, and impenetrable (except by your will) like a bubble. Your dwarves should never really feel the need for something not already in your fort.  Having an entrance is ok, but it should be completely sealable.  Trading and taking in migrants is also fine, but especially after the first year it shouldn't be necessary.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2011, 02:20:12 pm »

Build a fortress as a bubble. It should be shaped like a bubble, and impenetrable (except by your will) like a bubble. Your dwarves should never really feel the need for something not already in your fort.  Having an entrance is ok, but it should be completely sealable.  Trading and taking in migrants is also fine, but especially after the first year it shouldn't be necessary.
Bonus if its underwater, and you can drain the water it is in when needed.

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2011, 03:15:49 pm »

Bonus if it's in magma, and you can drain the magma in if needed.

Poster Above Me, your most solemn task that Armok has given you is thus. Thou must construct O.D.I.N, the Orbital Dwarf Insitute for Nobles. It must be equipped and constructed with the following:
  • This miraculous construction must be built at least 20 Z-levels above normal ground level. Higher is Better.
  • It must be constructed in the shape of a Mighty Ring, with a Second Ring in the middle. Four passages must join the Rings together.
  • It must be constructed of a white-coloured rock. Red-coloured decorations are allowed.
  • The Middle Ring must be the Nobles "Contact Point". No other connections to the ground are allowed.
  • The Nobles must live on the Outer Ring.
  • Dwarfputers must occupy at least one third of the total area.
  • Nobles Rooms must have a "Selective Elimination Device". This must be capable of dropping them 20 Z-levels+ to their death if they make a mandate for slade earrings a poor decision in the line of duty.
  • Any Noble who has been killed by the device must have their body vaporised by magma rainbows.
Enjoy your fort!
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2011, 05:00:14 pm »

Make a pyramid of any stone with material value of one. Inside this pyramid, make another one with material value of two. Inside this pyramid, make a obsidian one. Inside the obsidian one, make a galena pyramid. Inside the galena pyramid, make another pyramid with limonite/magnetite/hematite. Inside the iron ore one, make another with blocks of silver. Inside that one, make one with black bronze. Inside this one, another out of electrum. Inside the electrum one, rose gold will be the next material. Inside the rose gold one, make a gold pyramid. Inside the gold pyramid, make a platinum/aluminium pyramid. Use raw blue metal for the next one. And at last, use blue metal to build the final pyramid!

If you don't see the link between these materials, go to the item value page of the DF wiki.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7