Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: The "Give the Poster above you a fortress goal" thread.  (Read 8017 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Give the Poster above you a fortress goal" thread.
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 06:19:12 am »

Design a fortress that is capable of completely enshrouding itself in a blanket of all protective magma. Used magma must be recyclable so as to be capable of indefinitely maintaining the magma force fortress field.

You must also be able to make enough room to house a +10 grazing animal pasture.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 06:23:30 am by noodle0117 »

Hilmir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 07:20:33 am »

Build an all above ground fortress, consisting of spires that are connected with up in the air bridges. Bonus points for creating an open air arena outside, preferably with a deadly, deadly Z level drop below.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 09:15:03 am »

Build an all above ground fortress, consisting of spires that are connected with up in the air bridges. Bonus points for creating an open air arena outside, preferably with a deadly, deadly Z level drop below.

That sounds so totally awesome that I'll just do that for my next fort.
The post after mine's will be the one for you Hilmir.

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 09:23:19 am »

Have everyone in your fort be a soldier. Anyone without military skills must train until the are a novice at some weapon. Legendary smiths, legendary craftsdwarfs, and nobles are the only ones exempt.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 09:24:02 am »

1. Embark on a glacier
2. Pump magma onto the surface
3. ?????
4. Profit!
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 09:36:15 am »

Mod megabeasts so they can be tamed and bred. Replace all your livestock with megabeasts. Hydra ranch go!
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2011, 09:50:01 am »

Dig all the way down, past the magma sea and SMR, to make a fortress that is entirely in the HFS, playing with the clowns.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2011, 09:54:46 am »

This has been done before, at least in 40d but

Build a fortress inside a magma pipe / volcano.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2011, 10:31:12 am »

Build a giant fortress hovering above a river in a canyon each florr must be the same size. Use tamed tigermen ( Or any agressive animal ) to destroy all enemies

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 10:36:56 am »

Build a fortress out of a colossal 3x3x3 Rubik's cube with a minimum of 3 tiles per square (x and y, and 3Z tall) (including Z-axis (3x3x3 individually per lesser cube that makes up the whole (minimum: 9x9x9 or 11x11x11 (with spacing)), and a minimum of a 1-tile/Z thick gap between cubes (either empty space or some other material than the colored ones used. Wood is acceptable, I guess.).

Easiest setup: All sides 1 color each.
Hardest setup: Use a scrambled setup. (use your own cube as reference)

2x2x2 is more challenging by compression, and 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 may get too easy; although 4x4x4 has no wildcard cube, like it's 2x2x2 counterpart (applies to all even-dimension variations), though you still need to make them with more materials with matching color for the squares on each side. Bottom floor would be floor tiles, of course. Each block is specialized by color code.

Center cube (2x2x2 coordinates) is either transit or a wildcard, seeing as there's no color associated with it (and being the main axle; which also explains why 5x5x5 can get too easy, unless the inner 3x3x3 area follows similar properties as the original challenge).

In ROYGBIV order (though placement of the sides is your choice)
Red = Military
Orange = Civilian
Yellow = Stockpiling
Green = Workshops
Blue = Hospital or Water Supply (I would maybe advise this to be the floor, but provided you can find enough blue material to make it all. Then again, I guess anything else that can be associated with Blue can work.)
White = Nobility

Corners will be multi-classed by 3 colors, edge sides will be dual-purposed by 2 colors, and center-sides will be single-purpose by color. This will be one heck of an architectural challenge, especially since you'll have to plan internally to make it all functional and mostly self-sufficient for a minimum of 5 years. Above ground for all to see, and suspended at least 3Z from ground level as well.

I like that I came up with this, it sounds pretty fun. ;D

EDIT:
As long as all sides would be visible (especially through a visualizer; for proof), and it is suspended a minimum of 3Z, then we're good.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:09:07 pm by Itnetlolor »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 10:43:27 am »

Can I make it float up in the air no supports ?

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 11:03:04 am »

Hehe my turn to give an idea !

Build a fortress entirely contained in aquifer levels. You're forbidden to smooth stone if the aquifer is in a stone level. Good luck !

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 11:05:45 am »

Make a giant floating arena filled with alligators, pit traps, and goblins. Then put every caravan ( Human, and elf ) you get inside to face the monsters within.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 11:09:39 am »

Farmer strike: No farming labors allowed except brewing. (yes, you'll live off caravan food)
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 11:30:13 am »

Build a tower suspended above an open volcano.  Make the tower narrower than the volcano pipe itself and tapering, and have it connected to the ground with only spindly floor supports connected mostly horizontally.  There's no limit to how tall the tower can be.  It must house your entire fort, excepting a quarry if necessary and a trade depot, and whatever military stuff you need on the surface.  Also there must be two aquaducts entering two different stories of the tower, bringing in magma and water respectively, and the very top story of the tower whatever else you use it for must be usable as a POW execution area via a well-placed plank and a long drop into magma.  Bonus points for the execution plank if there's a randomly retracting bridge just above the surface of the lava that the POW may or may not splat against.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7