Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: The "Give the Poster above you a fortress goal" thread.  (Read 8000 times)

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Give the Poster above you a fortress goal" thread.
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2011, 10:37:27 pm »

Build your fort under the premise that your dwarfs believe  the rest of the world has fallen to darkness and is just as bad, if not worse, than where they decided to settle.
I don't know what this means. Am I supposed to shut myself off from the world?

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2011, 09:12:22 am »

Well, my orrery crashed and burned. Goblins slaughtered my fort after getting through my walls where Urist McMason conveniently left a hole. He became !!Urist McMason!! shortly later.

Urist McPotter

Build Hogwarts! Must have:

4 towers, each as identical as possible.
A large Entrance Hall where dwarves can enter. Should be engraved as much as possible on the walls, smooth floor.
A Great Hall (dining room), containing fires/magma lights (magma enclosed in glass walls).
A Central Staircase. Spiral if possible.
A set of dungeons, with traps involving water.
A hospital wing on the upper floors.
All made out of stone, except stairs and furniture.
All farming must go on outside, away from the castle.

Bedrooms must be built in 4 places. Inside two of the towers, inside the building itself, and in the dungeons. Dwarves must be restricted to their bedroom area and go to no others.

Bonus --> SuperBonus --> UltraBonus --> UristBonus (difficulty, easiest to hardest)

Bonuses:

Embark on part of a Evil Coniferous Forest Biome. Build a small hut and keep Urist McLarge near there with his pet war dog.
Make one of the other towers glass-topped, as dwarves like star-gazing.
Make the fourth tower Urist McNoble's place, with statues, a "viewing platform" and plenty of furniture. Must be kept locked so only they can enter.
Make a "Quidditch" field, a large, oval grassy area. Have your best dwarves combat the goblins "opposing team" with the two silver warhammers Beaters ready. Ensure they have their two adamantine warhammers Beaters.
Make/have a lake on your map.

SuperBonus: Have mermaids living in your lake.
SuperBonus: Only above-ground crops.
SuperBonus: If possible, be the worlds leading ceramics industry.
SuperBonus: Play on Deons and have a werewolf attack or two.
SuperBonus: Classes for each skill (Deons would really help for swimming and so on. Tomes as well.)

UltraBonus: Ghosts haunting your castle.
UltraBonus: Have all your dwarves go to watch the "Quidditch match".
UltraBonus: Castle must be SPOTLESSLY clean.
UltraBonus: Steel-clad dwarves statues that jump to life to defend your castle.
UltraBonus: Statues of dwarves all round the castle. Which are the real ones?

UristBonus: Have bathrooms with a chained troll in them.
UristBonus: Make a village a decent distance away. Have hidden tunnels going from the village to the castle.
UristBonus: No traps.
UristBonus: Have heated baths in each room (if magma temp. is wrong, any !!Urist!! is NOT MY FAULT.)
UristBonus: Have Fortress Guard prefects patrol the corridors, led by the Captain of the Guard Head Boy.

This is a challenge for anyone who wants to try it.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2011, 09:16:16 am »

Build your fort under the premise that your dwarfs believe  the rest of the world has fallen to darkness and is just as bad, if not worse, than where they decided to settle.
I don't know what this means. Am I supposed to shut myself off from the world?
I believe this means to kill everything that happens to stumble on your embark, including(but not limited to) wildlife, caravans, megabeasts, FB's, and titans.  KILL.  THEM.  ALL.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2011, 02:35:52 pm »

Hello? Can I have a goal? Preferably written in the style of my own, e.g. Bonuses, Superbonuses...
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Horizonblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2011, 03:27:56 pm »

Build a facility whose goal is to test the dropping of anvils on goblins and others.
This is for !!science!! of course.
Rename the fortress "Acme" for bonus points.
When in doubt:  More Lever!

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2011, 03:46:48 pm »

Build a completely self-sufficient facility to house ten thousand (that's right, 10000) dwarves, each with their own room which must be 3x3 big at least.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2011, 03:48:22 pm »

...Build a replica of the USS Enterprise. Out of adamantine.

(Note: I am really horrible at fortress making.)
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2011, 04:08:18 pm »

To worship Armok, EVERY SINGLE ACCESSIBLE TILE of your fortress must be red with blood, and every single stone must be engraved with stories of war and bloodshed.

jappipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2011, 05:57:28 pm »

Embark in a 1*1 (you'll need that nanofortress utility) on a volcano.
Make your rooms and stockpiles around the volcano.
Bonus: Get 200+ dwarves and be able to maintain them for ~10 years.
UltraBonus: Replace the obsidian walls surrounding the volcano with clear glass.
UltraUltraBonus: Disable the caverns in advanced worldgen so you'll have the least amount of z-lvls available to you.
ExtraBonus: After you've done all of that, drain the volcano, make a dodge trap at ground level and laugh at the goblins or elves as they fall down to the magma sea.
SuperMegaUltraDeluxeBonus: have a spoiler spire at the bottom of the map and let the invaders fall down to the HFS.

VonCede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2011, 06:24:26 pm »

Embark anywhere you want.

Use 0 points on embark.

You can build anything you can except from  b-e-+ and b-w-+ menu choices.

I managed to survive 6 years.
Have you tried Wiki or google it?

zozeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2011, 10:55:39 am »

I lost my elf Fortress to fps death. 

Got down to ~20fps and 120 dorfs completely above the Forrest in a giant elf tree (of doom, and stone).  Had a raised aqueduct to get water up to my 4z cistern, suspended over a river a 13z tower with 8 16 tile rooms and a 9x9 hall every floor.  The only contact points were 3x3 pylons where there were no trees.  I didn't ever get any goblinite, and the dwarfs and humans didn't have wooden items...   I suspect that some of my fps death was due to ambushes I couldn't see. 

VonCede you are to make an above ground replica of your office or school.  In a terrifying biome. 

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2011, 11:31:21 am »

Your fortress goal is to give me an easier fortress goal. :P
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2011, 11:46:05 am »

Mod dwarves to have lifespans of 6 years. First year as baby, second year as child, the remaining four as adults.

Seal off the fortress from the surface after you get stared and selectively breed the dwarves by executing ones that are undesirable, until you have a dwarven super-race.

By which I mean, keep only the fattest dwarves.

When you open it up to the surface, use your 4-year old, 1000-lbs, exclusively-wrestler army to obliterate all challengers.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

zozeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2011, 11:48:56 am »

you are to make an obsidian cannon that fires down to the HFS.

I have read that it looks like this:

Code: [Select]
#####
M=X=W
M=.=W
M=X=W
#####

# = wall
M = Magma
W = Water
'=' = floor
X = Floodgate

Legend has it that that will create a block of obsidian that will drop through the hole and can, as the legend goes, beat the tar out of the HFS.

Upon further reading of the !!SCIENCE!! thread that I got this idea from you are the head lab monkey in charge and this idea is moot.  Stand by for better....
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:56:01 am by zozeer »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2011, 11:59:57 am »

Close, it's more like
Code: [Select]
WWXWW
=H H=
WWXWW
Walls, Floors, Hatches, and Floodgates.

This will, if timed correctly, allow magma and water to flow to the center tile where it will cast obsidian with no support, and drop.  Note that the floodgates need to be floated, by building them atop a constructed wall, and then deconstructing the wall, leaving them hovering.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7