Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: The "Give the Poster above you a fortress goal" thread.  (Read 7999 times)

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "Give the Poster above you a fortress goal" thread.
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2011, 06:33:31 am »

^ Make a well-planned fortress on a nice easy embark (but not a goblin-free island) geared towards a safe, conservative game, using your own personal strategies and playstyle, but try to make sure the highest-traffic areas have 5 free Z-levels directly underneath them. Once the basics are set up, place no less than five hatches in these highest-traffic corridors. Under the hatches there should be a 1x1 shaft with exactly five Z-levels to drop. At the bottom there should be no less than five upright menacing wooden spikes. There should be no way out from the bottom of these shafts, and you are forbidden from rescue attempts or collecting the dead.  Rig the hatches to a moderately rapid water repeater. Do absolutely nothing to help the dorfs avoid these random eliminators.

See how many years you can last in a fortress designed to last many years, except for the whole "random unpredictable death" thing.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2011, 04:09:05 pm »

build dwarven version of Minas Tirith from Lord of the rings. 

-build it into mountainside
-focus on military
- there must be nothing underground except caves for mining stone
-stockpiles and housing, etc.. everything in aboveground buildings
-build it seven levels high and fill each level with buildings
-wall each level and build gates
-build barracks on every floor and build no danger rooms. they arent dwarfy
-on top build Armok's sacrificial temple or king's palace

-Bonus: open gates on siege and fight in the main square in the ground level like in the movie.
-MegaBonus: retreat the enemy one level at a time and finally fight to last dwarf on the 7th floor. In front of Blood god's temple dwarven blood shall be spilled.
-SuperMegaBonus: release the hfs outside your walls and pretend they are nazquls etc
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 04:27:34 pm by dwarfhoplite »

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2011, 04:25:59 pm »

Dig out the entire world, all the way down to the magma sea, every bit of it must be channeled down. Then, once everything is level, build a Netherfortress, kill anything that isn't a dwarf, and rule the world with an iron fist.

Retire in your 90s and live a happy life on a small island surrounded by magma.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2011, 04:56:43 pm »

Embark in a 4x4 screen with only 1 tile of it being on land.  The other 15 tiles must be saltwater or ocean tiles.  Then proceed to build at least 10x10x10 underwater domes on the ocean floor.  Minimum of 12 domes total.  You are allowed to trade for glass or sand, or even wood.  However, you are not allowed to trade for food, unless it is seafood.  You are not allowed to grow your own crops (except for in the creation of dyes or threads).  Food gathering must be done by fishing or hunting.  Alcohol must be purchased from caravans.  No dome is allowed to breach the surface of the water either.

Bonus points if you abandon the shoreline altogether upon completion of the domes and live entirely underwater with no access to the surface.

More bonus points if you build a central dome around your rest, have it be bigger than the rest, and place a castle or temple inside.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2011, 09:37:24 am »

Build a Rainbow in the Sky above your Fortress.
That is all...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2011, 10:12:01 am »

Make one dwarf the head of everything. With no friends, no family, an animal of his choosing (Prefrebly not a grazer... We want him happy), and a room full of levers... Give him the best living space of them all, then wall him off from the rest of the fortress, and make him self-sufficient, with his own little farm and still.

Also make a small section with a 3x3 area, and airlock it with floodgates, so that mundane dwarves can make him whatever workshop he needs for a strange mood.

Also it needs a hole in the top, for ingredients to be dropped into.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2011, 12:09:03 pm »

Hey do you know the film "Waterworld" ? No? Doesnt matter you will construct the dwarfen version.
You have to embark at a Lake or at the Ocean to get as much Water as possible. Then you construct little Islands out of Stone on it, these hsve to be seperated and be self suificient by fishing.
After the ariving of the Dwarven caravan you connect all islands via draw brigdes and let them open till you share ressources like you want after that seperate tthe islands again by raising the brigdes.

Have fun and sorry :D

zozeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2011, 01:43:58 pm »

Embark in a 3x3 with:
1 axe
1 pick
40 booze
20 food
no seeds at all
spend the rest on skills and animals

The task is to build a fully above ground castle to include:
an outer keep with
 an armory with enough steel arms and armor for 200 dorfs
 Barracks for 5 full squads
  squad training room
  squad archery range
  squad chow hall
  squad supply room
  squad commander private quarters
 the keep should also have a lower level dungeon
   10 or more cells
   with a well and food chute
   beds and other furniture optional...
 the keep should also serve as the only way into your castle with a portcullis

The Castle Proper
 no bedroom in the castle proper can be less then 16 tiles
  each bedroom should contain only masterwork furniture
 a 4z dining hall with engravings and statues
 a 7x10 throne room
 a 15x15 courtyard
 farming and grazing space
 barracks for 2 squads of royal guards, following the guidelines for the keep as well as private quarters for the army and royal guard commanders
 Royal quarters, with only the finest artifacts
 rooms for all your 'fun' nobles
 Some form of tower minimum 10z from the highest point in the castle

a wall minimum 3 tiles thick around the main castle and courtyard connected to the keep (note can be hollow to allow for guards in the wall)

standing rules:
only above ground farming
all immigrants serve some amount of time in your armed forces and get to keep their weapon and armor
(optional FUN) never kill a noble, and do everything they want....

That aught to keep you busy....  :P

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2011, 01:47:47 pm »

I bring you the most difficult challenge yet:
Live like the elves do.

Embark in a forest. You must live above ground, though you may mine for materials. Do not harm a single tree. You can fish but not hunt. You may only kill creatures that threaten you. You may not accept wooden items from dwarf/human caravans. You can of course trade whatever you like with elves, and be sure not to offend them. If you choose to have a military, they can only be armed with leather, wood and bones.

If you like, you can mod the game in order to butcher your enemies and use them for food.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:51:20 pm by bucket »

zozeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2011, 02:15:25 pm »

but how will I make all my wooden armor and weapons?

also you get the next posters goal.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2011, 02:19:43 pm »

You'll have to buy logs from the elven caravan. Armor can be made from the hides of your enemies.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2011, 06:05:08 pm »

Embark in a terrifying biome. Build your fort under the premise that your dwarfs believe  the rest of the world has fallen to darkness and is just as bad, if not worse, than where they decided to settle.

Bonus Points: Make your fort Gothic in design. Don't scrimp on the crypts and catacombs either!

Bonus Points: Give your military Silver Shortswords, and make sure each soldier has at least one surface monster kill (Werewolf, Ogre, Foul Blendec, Ice Wolf etc)
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2011, 08:24:36 pm »

Make one dwarf the head of everything. With no friends, no family, an animal of his choosing (Prefrebly not a grazer... We want him happy), and a room full of levers... Give him the best living space of them all, then wall him off from the rest of the fortress, and make him self-sufficient, with his own little farm and still.

Also make a small section with a 3x3 area, and airlock it with floodgates, so that mundane dwarves can make him whatever workshop he needs for a strange mood.

Also it needs a hole in the top, for ingredients to be dropped into.
So AI of the Fort??? I Generally try and do that anyway...
Regardless...

Candy Stone/Metal must not be used for weapons or Armour. It will be used to build a Statue of a Dwarf carrying a Sword and Shield which towers over the entrance of your fort. You can use the Candystone as a Lining instead of pure construction but, MEGA DWARF BONUS if you can build it all out of the Candystone...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Gearskull1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2011, 08:30:45 pm »

You must build a fort where the floors of every bedroom are covered in spike traps linked to a repeater. When the dwarven king arrives you must pull the lever and watch the FUN ensue.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2011, 09:26:35 pm »

You must build a fort where the floors of every bedroom are covered in spike traps linked to a repeater. When the dwarven king arrives you must pull the lever and watch the FUN ensue.
Hahhaha, Thats gonna be hard for me, I build Capsule Rooms (2x2 tiles with Bed, Cab and Chest with the last space a door leading to a Stairwell and 3 other Capsule Rooms that Rotate around said stair) for my Fort Residents, the only ones that get larger rooms are nobles (3x3 or so) and Military (2x2 but door is in the wall not in the corner)

Next one is yours...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7