Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The "Give the Poster above you a fortress goal" thread.  (Read 8007 times)

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
Re: The "Give the Poster above you a fortress goal" thread.
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2011, 05:07:22 pm »

Shootandrun since you seem to have a preference for pyramids your fortress shall be housed in a inverted cast obsidian pyramid. Every tile of it must have an exceptional or masterful quality engraving on it.

edit: bonus points if the tip is aimed at a cotton candy vein. The Egyptians aimed their pyramids at their after life so why shouldn't the dwarves do the same?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 05:42:15 pm by arzzult »
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2011, 03:38:50 am »

In responce to my above post, can I have a task without pyramids in it? They always glitch up for me.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2011, 04:17:11 am »

No pyramids? Make an orrery. Have it automatically update weekly. Whether you choose our own solar system or a made up on is entirely up to you. However, it must contain at least nine planets. Yes, this means Pluto as well, if you're going to do our universe. Every planet should be represented by another colour. Natural satellites are optional. You may assume circular orbits.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2011, 05:17:13 am »

ooh give me a task, ill try it, and !!FUN!! will ensue,

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2011, 06:24:48 am »

Portal like tests to let my invaders wander through.  8)

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2011, 08:50:52 am »

ironic, seeing as i spent all today alternating between portal 2 and DF.

IT SHALL BE DONE.

Urist McGLaDOS: "Begin Testing!"

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2011, 09:11:09 pm »

In a fort with 50 or more dwarves: taking the first dwarf on your unit list, look at that dwarf's religion. Take whatever deity they worship most and begin culling the fort's population based on how well they worship said deity. Bonus if you avoid a tantrum spiral. DoubleDwarf bonus if you kill heretics by fire. Megadwarf bonus if you kill all the heretics by putting them in a wooden building and burning it down. Afterwards, begin culling again by level of devotion.

Edit: Oh, and only allow statues of the selected deity to be placed in the fort. Destroy all "false idols".
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:38:21 pm by Nasikabatrachus »
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

ztyler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2011, 10:49:06 pm »

Make your fort an aboveground giant battleaxe. Dwarfbonus if it actually falls and kills invaders. Megadwarfbonus if you have two, one that doesn't slay invanders to house your populace and everything else, and one that does for the nobles. SuperMegaDwarfBonus if it falls into magma.
He's going the distance.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2011, 08:16:03 pm »

Make DWARF SPARTA.

Only use bronze/copper spears, swords and shields as your militia weapons. All citizens rotate into the militia or hunt as their permanent duties. Bonus points if you drop a diplomat down a 50Z level pit/well shouting whilst it happens. MegaSPARTAdwarfbonus points if you survive 15 ingame years wearing no armor other than shields and cloaks.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2011, 08:21:05 pm »

Assume that every new presence on fortress soil is a invader. Animals, traders, diplomats, migrants, even the freakin' king.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2011, 09:13:56 pm »

Create a cascading waterfall over your fort.  This should be in the form of a tower, or similarly upright structure, with water pouring from the top down underground where it is recycled.  The catch?  Do it on a glacier.  Magma will ensure that the tile above it does not freeze.  Good luck.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2011, 02:09:48 am »

Terraform the surface of your entire embark to resemble Oblivion from The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Magma, Obsidian, Towers laced with ruby windows and cinnabar....
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2011, 04:24:27 am »

Embark on a major river with a wide, deep canyon. The river must be at least 20 tiles wide, closer to 30 preferred. The canyon can be any depth, but must be at least 5 tiles deep to qualify as a canyon (otherwise it's just a ditch). Build your fort suspended between the canyon walls. You can mine into the canyon walls for stone and metal, but you cannot make any buildings or rooms underground. The fortress can extend up over the walls of the canyon, and mining operations can (if possible) travel down through the riverbed.

BONUS: Have a central tower from which all mining and construction extends. You cannot dig stairs or ramps of any kind save within the confines of this tower. It cannot have an internal area exceeding 25 tiles, and must be the highest construction at any time in your fortress.
DWARFBONUS: Make all constructions out of ice, and all buildings out of clear glass.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2011, 08:55:39 am »

Make DWARF SPARTA.

Only use bronze/copper spears, swords and shields as your militia weapons. All citizens rotate into the militia or hunt as their permanent duties. Bonus points if you drop a diplomat down a 50Z level pit/well shouting whilst it happens. MegaSPARTAdwarfbonus points if you survive 15 ingame years wearing no armor other than shields and cloaks.

Embarking now. The gods have decided to mock me, as there is SURFACE LIMESTONE AND LIMONITE. I will make limonite a non-economic stone and watch as every DF player cries simultaneously.
Also? The only clothes my civilization has is loincloths. If I survive, this will be badass.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2011, 08:59:47 am »

Actually, you'll want to use Thongs.  Just sayin'...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7