Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquifer Problem  (Read 490 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquifer Problem
« on: April 22, 2011, 06:18:39 pm »

I'm having trouble breaching an aquifer. It's two levels tall, and I've dropped two natural floors onto it, but I can't get more than one level of penetration. What am I doing wrong? Is there a time I have to wait? And yes, I am dropping them in the correct order.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifer Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 06:34:50 pm »

Did you clear the walls from the upper aquifer level, drop a level of soil to pierce the first aquifer, clear the walls from the second aquifer level, then drop a level of soil to pierce the second aquifer? You might've forgotten to clear the walls from the second aquifer level.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 06:56:41 pm »

If you're doing the plug-and-chug method the plug will need to be pretty big, big enough to fit another smaller plug plus 2 tiles extra on length and width. What you could be doing is the method with a big plug, after that's finished you do it again with a secondary plug carved from the first to pierce the second layer. [I believe NecroRebel said this, but it could do with some clarification]
Or if you already have some stone, you could pump and seal each individual layer. Saves time if you already have the resources and a fw idlers.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 06:32:09 am »

Clear the walls? I channeled into the top layer and when I drop the first of the soil levels, it smashes through the channeled area and down a level. Do I have to channel into the layer below then?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 10:55:02 am »

Clear the walls? I channeled into the top layer and when I drop the first of the soil levels, it smashes through the channeled area and down a level. Do I have to channel into the layer below then?
Yes. The process for clearing the second aquifer level is exactly identical to the process for clearing the first, including having to channel out the walls.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 11:41:20 am »

Ah. Now I understand. I was forgetting that step. Gotta remove the ramps to put in the floodgates to stop the water flow.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 02:22:45 pm »

Also, in case you haven't seen it: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79224.0

Two handy ways on breaching aquifers of any size :D