Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New guy talking through some questions/thoughts  (Read 3513 times)

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New guy talking through some questions/thoughts
« on: April 22, 2011, 02:30:41 pm »

Ok, first let me say Wow!  Not at the complexity, but at the utter awesomeness and fun of DF.  I got the game less than 40 hours ago and I've already lost sleep because of it.

I think I'm getting the general hang of things.  The wiki is a boon (thanks to all who've contribution to it).  I've built 2 fortress (or mini-fortresses) and haven't had any catastrophic failures...yet. But...

I've got questions.  Tons of them.  And thoughts.  Lots that are crazy, maybe a few that make sense.  I'm hoping that this can be my brainstorming, question asking, idea bouncing thread.  'Cuz, unfortunately, I don't have any rl people to talk DF with.

So, my actual question for this post--the caravan.

I've built a trade depot and assigned a broker.  I've gone through negotiations for stuff and to sell stuff.  I've hauled stuff to the depot.  So, umm...how does any of this equal me buying stuff or selling stuff.  I've read the wiki, but something isn't meshing in my head.

Correlated question: Can I just sell tons of garbage (stuff I have tons of and no use for--stones, logs, simple furniture, etc.)?  Or do I need to find out what items are "in demand" and focus on building/creating them to sell in the second year?

I've probably worded this all wrong, but any input, corrections, suggestions or even answers are appreciated!
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: New guy talking through some questions/thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 02:41:34 pm »

To trade, you need to assign a broker and haul merchandise(which you did), then tell the broker to go to the depot - there should be an option to do that when you view the depot. Once he's there, view the depot again - the "trade" option should be now enabled. From that menu you can choose stuff buy and sell. Watch out for what you press at the end of the transaction, as you can either trade, or simply offer(for free).
Sometimes the broker might be too busy to attend his broker's duties - try disabling all the other types of labour.

You can sell whatever you like, but stone and wood is just too cost-ineffective for all the hassle it takes to haul this stuff to the depot. Use the stone(and wood if you've got too much) to make crafts at the craftsdwarf's workshop - these are basically cheap trinkets for the tourists, which can be stacked in bins(made e.g.at the carpenter's workshop), for easy storage and hauling(you can designate whole bins to be taken to the depot). Heaps of high-quality crafts(and toys, and mugs, and instruments) can buy a whole caravan and then some.

I hope that helps.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 02:42:09 pm »

Correlated question: Can I just sell tons of garbage (stuff I have tons of and no use for--stones, logs, simple furniture, etc.)?  Or do I need to find out what items are "in demand" and focus on building/creating them to sell in the second year?
Merchants will accept wathever crap you throw at them as long as it doensn't go over the weight limit and they make a profit.

Those "in demand" items are simply items they consider more valuable than they really are.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

knowbuddyuno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 02:43:08 pm »

hit q, move over to the depot, and hit r to request your broker's presence. (if you have no broker, you can appoint one under the nobles screen (n). When the broker arrives, you again hit q and then t to trade. You can tasse anything you own, but stone weighs so much the caravan won't be able to accept much.

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 02:49:18 pm »

Yeah, in my experience (limited, only a bit more than you) it's not worth trying to sell most raw materials.  The merchant caravans can only haul so much stuff, and ore and wood is largely too heavy.  I find that Lavish Prepared Meals are a pretty effective trade good, along with the other crafts.  I haven't gotten to the point yet of being able to buy entire caravans, but I'm getting better.
Randy...

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:54:45 pm »

Merchants will accept wathever crap you throw at them as long as it doensn't go over the weight limit and they make a profit.

Those "in demand" items are simply items they consider more valuable than they really are.
Watch out for elves, though. They don't like wood, and some of the glasses.

You simply get bonus credit for "in demand" items, like he said. Simply put, the items you sell cost more the next time the caravan comes for a visit.

And don't forget to tip your merchants. Unless they're elves, in which case you should seize all their stuff. Later on you'll find an industry you'll like and start producing high quality trade goods, be it clothes fit for a king, prepared meals like mana from heaven(see username), or magnificent statues decorated with costly gems and studded with precious metals beyond recognition.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 02:55:20 pm »

Awesome help!

I think the problem my first time was the broker was not present--the "trade" option was grayed out.  I'll give that a whirl this weekend.

Making crafts and trinkets sounds like a good idea to use up all the stones I dig up too.  Thanks!

And stay tuned for more simple problems and beginner stuff.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 02:58:49 pm »

Awesome help!

I think the problem my first time was the broker was not present--the "trade" option was grayed out.  I'll give that a whirl this weekend.

Making crafts and trinkets sounds like a good idea to use up all the stones I dig up too.  Thanks!

And stay tuned for more simple problems and beginner stuff.
Make mugs. You get 3 a stone, so you get a crapton of money.

Happy hunting!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 03:02:46 pm »

Make mugs. You get 3 a stone, so you get a crapton of money.
IIRC it's the same for crafts, toys and instruments. My memory might be faltering though.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 05:40:57 pm »

Not always, you can get one or two at low skill levels. Flasks and waterskins are always generated three at a time, not sure if there are any others.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 06:26:48 pm »

Not always, you can get one or two at low skill levels. Flasks and waterskins are always generated three at a time, not sure if there are any others.

Really?  I never knew that, actually.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 07:02:10 pm »

For easy skill, and easy money, set one dwarf on a Craftdorf station and have the dwarf have crafts/mugs/instruments/toys on repeat.  Within a year you'll be flooded with pieces worth "Loads 'a' moneh!" with realitvely little material.  Keeps dwarves busy and assists in clearing up stone.

Plus the idea of rock boats is confusing.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 07:59:29 pm »

Rock boats?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeeeeeeeeah. Anyways, once you get lots of weapon-grade metal, you can also make serrated metal disks to sell for crazy monies. A masterwork iron disk goes for approximately 15k dorfbux, which, in daily terms, is a holy fuckload. That being said though, you may want to hold on to those if you plan on making weapon traps. :P

I didn't know that crafts and such yielded multiple objects per rock, though. Now i know what to do with all those large clusters of useless rock i mine out! (other than making large dorfbombs to drop on invaders)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 08:22:48 pm »

For easy skill, and easy money, set one dwarf on a Craftdorf station and have the dwarf have crafts/mugs/instruments/toys on repeat.  Within a year you'll be flooded with pieces worth "Loads 'a' moneh!" with realitvely little material.  Keeps dwarves busy and assists in clearing up stone.

To level up the dwarves skill before wasting it on crafts/mugs, make 30-60 rock pots first.  Then you'll find that your stonecrafter will be more likely to make the higher quality crafts/mugs (which means more dwarfbucks).  Plus you can never have too many pots to hold ale, beer & wine.

My forts used to always have 4-6 stonecrafters working 24/7 on crafts/mugs.  But now I just have 1 or 2 that are near-legendary and they only make 30 crafts at a time (the max # you can queue up using the job manager).  I now focus on cooking eggs into lavish meals, silver/glass serrated discs, and a few dozen mechanisms (I sell off the low quality ones to the caravans).  Stonecrafts ends up being about 15-20% of my exported wealth.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 09:15:22 pm »

Stone crafts are easy money from cheap resources that (almost) everybody has.  Unfortunately, they require a lot of hauling, so they might not be the best if you're short on dwarfs.  The wiki page on value can give you an idea of what items/materials are good combinations for the resources you have available.  I find green glass/silver serrated discs and spiked balls have a nice profit/effort ratio.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.
Pages: [1] 2 3