Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: New guy talking through some questions/thoughts  (Read 3506 times)

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New guy talking through some questions/thoughts
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 02:26:28 pm »

That being said though, hunters tend to get to legendary marksdorf reasonably quickly. A legendary marksdorf will screw anyones shit up before they know where the bolts came from. And the hunters won't flee, perhaps (and i hypothesize) unless the enemies get really close. They might be in trouble if that happens, though.
That's if he happens to uncover the ambush from a decent range while hunting, which would require a fairly high Observer skill which, in turn, takes a long time to train(from what I can tell, anyway). It won't matter much that he's a legendary marksdorf if the enemy uncloaks three tiles from him and forces close combat.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 03:45:59 pm »

Such an encounter is very Fun for the dorf in question. Crossbows are rather useless in a scrap, especially without hammerdorf skill. Hunters USUALLY don't beat down critters with their crossbows (but hell if it wouldn't be the manliest hunt ever), so you'll have to cross-train them if you want to give them a tiny chance. Or just... Do what the others said, and assign some dogs/bears to the hunter. I'm still only an adequate overseer. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2011, 06:44:26 pm »

The latest news:

I've been killing, butchering, tanning, eating and decorating beasties for the last two seasons.

My hunterdwarf has been lucky, tallying up close to 20 kills verses badgers, courage and wolves.  So that's going well!  Yay for your help!

Now, new question:  I've got my first artifact--Custitharros, "Passagethrow" a wolf bone Earring.  So, I read the wiki and I know I can't trade it and that artifact furniture or objects can really spruce up a room.  But what about earrings?  How do I a) find out where they are?  The dwarf who made them (it?) isn't listed as wearing earrings.  And b) transfer them to another dwarf?  Is that possible?

I recognize I'm missing something, but what?

Bonus question:  There isn't anyway to choose which specific item gets encrusted with gems?  I now have a gem studded door, instead of a bejeweled stature   ::)

And Alarion:   :o :o :o :o :o :o :o Dang!  Me likey!!  There goes another hour before I unpause.
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

Jiharn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2011, 07:33:07 pm »

Artifact craft goods like earrings, rings, amulets and such don't get worn, and aren't carried around either.  If you want to find it, though, check the appropriate stockpile.  In this case, look through your finished goods stockpiles, checking the items or bins in them.

There isn't a direct way to choose which item you encrust, no, short of "finished good/furniture/ammo".  However, you can manipulate what is available to your gem setter with burrows.  Make a burrow that covers the gem workshop, the gems you want to set, and the single square where the piece of furniture is you want to pretty up.  And then assign the gem setter to the burrow, make sure he's the only one that will use that workshop, queue up the encrust task, and voila!  With only one piece of furniture available in his burrow, your gem setter will -have- to pick that one.
Just be careful about queueing up the job up multiple times if you include several furniture pieces.  Your setter might decide to reuse the piece of furniture still in his workshop, or some hauler will place some random talc chair in the now-empty furniture stockpile hole, and it will get grabbed next because it's in your burrow.

...and speaking from personal experience, don't forget to remove the burrow or take the gem setter out of it when you're done.  They kinda get thirsty and hungry after a while.

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 07:42:30 pm »

Should high traffic passages be made 2 or 3 tiles wide, or does a 1 tile passage not slow down the dwarfs?

I usually do 2 all over the place, but 3 is better for high traffic, or even 4.

Thing is, only one dwarf can be standing on a spot at any point in time, if two dwarves meet in a 1 wide corridor and need to pass each other, one will have to lay down (and an infinite amount of dwarves can be laying in one spot) and crawl by to let the other pass, which slows them down while they lay down and stand up again once the dwarf passes.  In a two wide corridor, the problem doesn't present itself quite so much, but it can have some annoying slow downs should you suddenly get a bunch of dwarves in a hallway (such as when dumping a large amount of stone).  Dwarves will sidestep another dwarf if there is a place to go.

You can get some odd, circular pathing that will often straighten itself out.  If a dwarf sees a path is blocked by another dwarf and there is another path to take, they will take it, but the other dwarf can also see that the dwarf is coming and decide to take the same path the first decides to divert to, then they meet again, turn around, and go back to where they started, and then meet again, and turn around and go back down the other tunnel, meet again, etc. etc.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2011, 02:01:06 am »

If you have a lot of statues (or other specific furniture) you want to get encrusted and don't want to mess around with burows, make a furniture stockpile allowing only statues (or whatever other stuff you want) right around the jeweler's shop. He'll work on the furniture nearest his shop.

If he has access to gems in the same room, then it would also be good to place a door and forbid it to keep him from encrusting doors and whatnot outside.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2011, 02:07:18 pm »

All the answers so far have been amazing.  The Dwarf Therapist has caused me to spend over an hour of fun (lower cases "f") without unpausing. 

Things are coming along, so I had better prepare my military--I read somewhere a good economy leads to raiders and such.  Well, wiki is helping me so far, but just checking in and letting everyone know how much I appreciate the help.

I'll have some stupid questions in a bit.  But for now...

Have a Happy Easter--Christ is Risen!
"Hey guys, you know how I've been repeatedly injuring you over and over again for the purpose of training up a team of high skilled doctors? Yeah well we didn't actually need to do that."

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2011, 03:30:06 pm »

Early on, your defense should be focused on keeping the nasties out.  And the downright simplest method is a 1-tile wide pathway covered in low-end weapon traps.  Make it so that in order to enter the fort you have to cross over this 8-12 tile long path.  Hostiles will constantly fall off due to dodging away from the weapon traps (which makes them go back and try again).

Jiharn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2011, 05:00:02 pm »

Forcing invaders to walk across a narrow landbridge of weapon traps works pretty well, yeah.  Cage traps are also like a guaranteed "kill", but only once until reloaded by a mechanic, so they don't work as effectively against a lot of enemies.  Corpses can sometimes get wedged in a weapon trap, too, making them inoperable until the body is removed.  Make sure you have a lockable door or some such past the traps, in case a few lucky ones get by.  And forbid the traps and have enemy bodies set to auto-forbid so no one tries to run out in the middle of an attack to unclog the traps.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 06:33:28 pm »

Ok, I have a question--Yay!

Dude McMoody has gone all fey on me and locked himself in a workshop.  This is good, but I need to make sure he has what he needs--he want "body parts" "rock blocks" and "logs".

So I read the wiki.  Logs=logs -- I have tons of these.  Rock blocks = metal blocks, I guess.  I've made 1 lead block and a couple stone blocks.  Body parts = ?  I have skulls and skeletons.  Is this right?  If not how do get the rest?  I'm hunting badgers already and I've culled my water buffalo herd--just keep at this?

Or does Moody McGrumpypants already have what he needs and I just need to wait for him to get on with it.  It's been about a month already.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2011, 06:50:23 pm »

Body parts usually means bones.  To get bones you need to build a butcher corpse, and then either slaughter a tame animal or butcher the body of a non-tame animal.  If you've been hunting badgers and slaughtering water buffalo, you should have plenty of bones already.

If he is sitting in the workshop demanding materials, he does not have everything he needs, and you need to figure out what he needs.  If you press 't' and move the cursor over the workshop, you can see what he's already gathered.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2011, 07:24:06 pm »

Rock blocks = metal blocks, I guess.
No, they're blocks made of rock. 'Rock bars' is the funny one, not sure if that's been fixed though. I've seen a couple of moods and it hasn't come up.

Rock blocks are one of the few mood ingredients that I tend not to have to hand (thread on the wagon, always). All my building is done using either rough rock or other materials until I want a crapload of bridges, so I often don't have any for the first couple of years. I can t over the workshop and compare the gathered materials to the list of the dwarf's demands anyway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Togre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2011, 10:09:43 am »

Ok, I figured out finally that he needed more bones.

The result...Isethkegeth Kogan Fesh, "Questheld the Boat of Wings" a water buffalo bone short sword.

Yay!  Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:11:19 am by Togre »
Pages: 1 2 [3]