Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: "Kiss Hamachi goodbye..."  (Read 13359 times)

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
Re: "Kiss Hamachi goodbye..."
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2011, 01:09:44 pm »

To be fair, if they can port this to XP then I will be pleased.
Although I agree, this is basically impossible without completely rewriting a good portion of the code. It uses the Windows Key which wasn't in XP to do it's thing, doing it on XP would involve either changing the games themselves (Steam) or doing some hack involving having a window always on top or something similar.

I can't believe that some of Microsoft's huge amount monitoring software has finally been put to use in a way that is good for the consumer!
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2011, 01:13:45 pm »

Although I agree, this is basically impossible without completely rewriting a good portion of the code. It uses the Windows Key which wasn't in XP to do it's thing, doing it on XP would involve either changing the games themselves (Steam) or doing some hack involving having a window always on top or something similar.

I can't believe that some of Microsoft's huge amount monitoring software has finally been put to use in a way that is good for the consumer!
Right, now I really hate 3Com. Why? Incompatability. I have a certain type of their 3 USB donglewhatsits, and that version that I have doesn't work with Windows 7, which I have. =(
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 01:18:11 pm »

Apparently they are working on an XP version, but with the reliance on directx, it will never move beyond windows. Wikipedia says Hamachi runs on more than just windows, making it superior.
Eh?
Eh!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 01:19:15 pm »

Although I agree, this is basically impossible without completely rewriting a good portion of the code. It uses the Windows Key which wasn't in XP
The Windows key wasn't in XP? I disagree, the key still made the start menu pop up then, unless this is some use for it I never heard of.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2011, 01:23:59 pm »

Although I agree, this is basically impossible without completely rewriting a good portion of the code. It uses the Windows Key which wasn't in XP
The Windows key wasn't in XP? I disagree, the key still made the start menu pop up then, unless this is some use for it I never heard of.
You couldn't override that functionality, though.  Now you can.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2011, 01:24:54 pm »

Apparently they are working on an XP version, but with the reliance on directx, it will never move beyond windows. Wikipedia says Hamachi runs on more than just windows, making it superior.
To be fair, Windows OS > Mac OS, and Linux users have Wine...

And I need to stop starting every post with "To be fair".
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011, 01:28:58 pm »

Not to mention the fact that most games aren't available for Macs or Linux.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2011, 01:29:24 pm »

to be fair, its a good way of announcing yourself as a devil's advocate
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2011, 01:32:16 pm »

You couldn't override that functionality, though.  Now you can.
Ah.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2011, 01:34:46 pm »

Not to mention the fact that most games* aren't available for Macs or Linux.

*Most commercial games.  Freeware tends to do a better job of multiplatform support.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2011, 02:00:31 pm »

Not to mention the fact that most games* aren't available for Macs or Linux.

*Most commercial games.  Freeware tends to do a better job of multiplatform support.
I'd still say that more than half (and therefore, most) freeware games are windows-only.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2011, 02:13:26 pm »

I am (Suprise suprise) Criptfeind on this.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2011, 02:50:37 pm »

Passing on this, sounded way too pretentious in the RPS article (No I don't want forums and video-sharing in my god damn game overlay thanks).

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2011, 02:58:24 pm »

If they can't support OpenGL games then I'm not interested. If they can't support Windows XP, then I can't use it anyways.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2011, 03:05:51 pm »

Passing on this, sounded way too pretentious in the RPS article (No I don't want forums and video-sharing in my god damn game overlay thanks).
I would love that in my game overlay. I wouldn't mind having a nice Sausage Sandvich either.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9