Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs not noticing a well~?  (Read 1033 times)

confused DWARF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs not noticing a well~?
« on: April 22, 2011, 09:28:50 am »

Hey, so i built a well, but most of my dwarfs dont use it and tramp off to the river to get water or still complain of a lack of a well in their info.

The well is build and says "active" when i look at its info. Do i need to set it as a meeting place?

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs not noticing a well~?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 09:58:53 am »

You don't need to set a well as a meeting place for dwarves to drink from it.

Have you tried giving it a "water source" zone? I'm really not sure why your dwarves would go to the river, unless it was closer.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 10:23:18 am »

Could possibly salt water be involved?
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 10:32:20 am »

Salt Water through a well becomes drinkable.

Besides, if there was salt water, the dwarves wouldn't be drinking from the river (as it would be salt water as well)
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

confused DWARF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 10:46:44 am »

Yeah i diverted water from the river to go under the fortress so there is a little pool to go under the well. also i recently had to set a burrow in the meeting place that is just next to the well but after i let the little buggers go do their thing again they all rushed to a certain point of the river to drink  :(

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 11:17:25 am »

Could it be a a preferred drinking zone? If not, just restrict traffic in that area
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 11:41:30 am »

Salt Water through a well becomes drinkable.

Besides, if there was salt water, the dwarves wouldn't be drinking from the river (as it would be salt water as well)
NOT ALWAYS. There's a lot of myths surrounding how salt water works.

I've run extensive tests in salt water biomes (and others)

In one fort I have a salt well on the same level as a fresh well, both are sourced from the same (river/fresh) cistern with no barrier. And dwarves used the salt well for washing, but not drinking, so it was correctly working, just not drinkable. It's possible to have salt-water biome underground in a fresh water area (river). Any water touching the salt-water biome is marked salty. THe "exact" mechanics of this are a mystery to me. In some circumstances saltwater spreads, and in others I have salt/fresh sources basically touching each other without mixing. Possibly the direction of flowing water affects this. The fresh well was "upstream" and the salt well was "downstream", possibly indicating saltiness of the tile is primarily calculated when a dry tile has water flow into it. I got not "back-contanimation" of the clean part of the resrvoir system.

Also, I made wells from salty murky pools - STILL SALTY. And pouring (bucket brigade) water from these into clean holes in the grass (which I had previously fillled with fresh water), disabled fresh water on the hole-in-the-ground permanently, backing up the idea that the wells were salty.

Screw pumps work better, this did actually clean the water.

My best theory at the moment, is that the tile you're drawing the water from affects the saltiness, e.g. so my wells were directly above the surface of the murky pool (tile labelled with salt water). Maybe if I built it another level higher, it would draw as fresh.

Screw pumps take the water and teleport it up 1-z-level, but also across horizontally. This did actually allow me to draw fresh water from the salty murky pool, and fill the grass pits with drinkable water.

---

My advice for salt-water embarks is to create a screw pump on the surface of the salt-water source, make a tiny walled area  it pumps to, with a ramp up. Check it's a "water source"

Next, Channel tiny holes in the ground, and bucket-fill from the clean source. These were still clean in my salt-water embark (it was ocean-side). So the grass/soil itself is not marked as salt, at least the the start.

Finally, try digging these little holes underground, bucket filling with clean water, to find a good spot for a well. You don't have to keep the whole reservoir from getting any salt, just the point where the dwarves draw off the water.

There's the odd WTF? I had when experimenting with salt water, but generally I think it's a tag on tile themselves, and 100% definitely you can transport saltiness to a clean tile via buckets, I found no way to un-salt these tiles ever again, they were next to and previously identical to other fake ponds which stayed fresh.

A corollary of this is - never flood your fortress / land with salt water if you ever want to build any reservoirs there.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:16:21 pm by Reelyanoob »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 02:43:04 pm »

I thought dwarves prefer flowing water?

confused DWARF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 05:52:48 pm »

Well i dont know what did it, i mined out the area around the well so they could get at it from every angle and i had a situation with some bad guys so they had to use the well, but they dont use that random part of the river anymore. my well is "wonderful" SWEET  :D
Somhow i dont think this will be the last time im asking for help...

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 09:38:37 pm »

Well i dont know what did it,

Yes, you do.

i mined out the area around the well so they could get at it from every angle

That.  Only one dwarf can use each of the tiles adjacent to a well at a time.  There are a maximum of 8 adjacent tiles per well, or fewer if there's terrain in the way.  If you've got too many thirsty dwarves and not enough wells, or not enough space adjacent to the wells, some of them will complain.

On the other hand, you need more booze.  I'd make that a priority.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz