Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What have I done wrong  (Read 692 times)

S4rab

• Bay Watcher
  • Hot Damn
    • View Profile
What have I done wrong
« on: April 22, 2011, 08:04:28 am »

My fort is doing pretty well I have never had a fort as long as I have (newbie here) and I am trying to organise a military for the first time, seeing that I am having an increase of goblin activity (2 Goblins tryed to raid me, but entered the fortress at the same time as a Dwarven caravan, lets just say those goblins aren't going home). My main problem is organising my military I am making weapons and everything and I thought I equipped my guys correctly but my captain of the guard has a mail shirt on and a breastplate (that I didn't know I had) who has 2 bucklers on his left hand and 2 short swords. How the hell does that work and how I make him unequip so I can make sure I give him the right equipment.

I would also like some tips for first starting my military and how exactly I get them to train so they are good with the weapons they have. Once they have the right ones cause if he has 2 swords and 2 bucklers that means the other bloke has to use his fists which wouldn't go down well.
"From the Dark Abyss, I come. From the Very Pits of Hell, I come. The Lord of Chaos, the Dark Demon only seen in nightmares shall rise"

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What have I done wrong
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:22:45 am »

You need to appoint a commander of your military in the (n)obles screen.

Captain of the guard is in charge of protecting your king.

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 11:31:45 am »

Urist McKraken is obviously the best captain of the guard you can wish for!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 12:06:04 pm »

You obviously have not used enough magma. I love magma. Try using more magma. Magma is Fun! Magma is magma. Have I told you I love using magma? You should use magma.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 12:12:52 pm »

Ok, disband the squad first to get soldiers to drop everything. Not sure if that's possible with the fortress guard. Next, set up uniforms before re-making squads. There, you can be specific about what you want. After a squad is made, you can further make individual tweaks in the equip screen.  Rule of thumb: do not ask a soldier to change equipment he has already been assigned, it can be a bit messy. So as soon as you put dwarves in squads, check the equip screen to be sure you''re happy with what they'll go looking for.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 01:19:10 pm »

You obviously have not used enough magma. I love magma. Try using more magma. Magma is Fun! Magma is magma. Have I told you I love using magma? You should use magma.

True. If magma is not used, something has been done wrong.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o