Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dorfs will not mine?  (Read 763 times)

Elanorea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dorfs will not mine?
« on: April 22, 2011, 07:20:44 am »

Long story short, I built a floor over a stairway in an attempt to keep a forgotten beast out. However, I failed to take into account that it would also make it impossible to move upstairs from that level, so one of my dorfs got stuck there. I attempted to mine a new stairway to get her out, but for some reason, my dwarves are simply not doing it. All have mining labor enabled, and no other current tasks. At first I figured it might be because of a lack of picks, but even after forging two new picks they will not mine.

Here's a bit of an illustration:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Could anyone shed some light on WTF is going on here?

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfs will not mine?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 07:39:24 am »

He's on break.
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

Elanorea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 09:14:24 am »

Unlikely to be the cause. I have four adult dwarves (aside from the one who's stuck), none of them are on break (all have "no job").

S4rab

• Bay Watcher
  • Hot Damn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 09:19:21 am »

I'm sure that them being on break is not the problem, just gonna say that have you made sure that the dwarves can acess the area because I had to block off a cavern from a Trogdyte (or something) invasion early on and I had to get someone out so I had to build a downward stair way and then either a Upward/downward stair way or a Up staircase (from (B)uild + (C) Capital C, then up stair) in order to dig towards my person who was stuck (making sure there are adequte defenses against the creatures lurking below).
"From the Dark Abyss, I come. From the Very Pits of Hell, I come. The Lord of Chaos, the Dark Demon only seen in nightmares shall rise"

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 09:57:57 am »

Are you using therapist?
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

urick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 10:23:02 am »

If you have any warren set up, you could try unassigning them from the warren or deleting the warren. I've had plenty of trouble with Urist McNosePicker after the siege is over and I remove warren restrictions.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 11:31:17 am »

Does the miners have access to the picks ?

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 11:34:10 am »

Im guessing that the yellow X's are stacked. If thats the case, there is pretty much no reason for them not working.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 11:42:33 am »

stupid question, do they have access to where you're building the new tunnel? I've done things like that only to realize that they can't actually reach the new stairway *facepalm*
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 11:51:26 am »

Im guessing that the yellow X's are stacked. If thats the case, there is pretty much no reason for them not working.
The X on the lower level leads into solid rock on all sides.

Is there any building material down there? If so, have the stuck dwarf build an up stair. Then, on the level above, have someone build an up/down stair.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 12:17:23 pm »

The X on the lower level leads into solid rock on all sides.

Is there any building material down there? If so, have the stuck dwarf build an up stair. Then, on the level above, have someone build an up/down stair.

Eh? Im probably missing something here but if the 2 yellow X's (which i assume are down/up stairs) are on top of each other, the other un-dug down/up stairs are under down stairs. They should be digging if that is true though, which they arent doing.

Elanorea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 12:51:49 pm »

*facepalm* Figured out what the problem was. Apparently deleting the up/down stairway also removed access between the level with the useless idling dwarf and the level above (where all the other dwarves and the mining picks were). Digging another stairway fixed it. I hate stairs. Thanks for attempting to help, anyway :P.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 01:00:47 pm »

Yeah, I've been caught more than once with a starving dwarf because I didn't notice removing ramps also affected stairs.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 01:07:36 pm »

I can't tell you how many times this very situation has happened to me.

I took to using a "staircase" much like the old Mountain homes used to have, with ramps instead of stairs.  Having a specified "up" and "down" side cut way back on the errors I was experiencing.

And it looks nicer in visualizers than a disorganized 3x3 square of stairs do.

No flying dwarves, but I don't starve miners because I'm trying to get fancy anymore

Code: [Select]
z 0
^...v
^...v
^...v

z-1
v...^
v...^
v...^

Repeat all the way down, as needed
I like fortresses because they are still underground.