Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So my dwarves like to wander out of their burrows.  (Read 1493 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
So my dwarves like to wander out of their burrows.
« on: April 21, 2011, 09:01:06 pm »

A siege comes, I get my legendaries into position, turn on my burrow alerts for civilians and in the middle of the fight, I realize that Urist McJobless decided that taking a stroll in the middle of an arrowshower was a good idea.

More specifically, it seems that dwarves don't always follow burrows exactly, which causes me headaches when I need them to be in precise positions. Jobless dwarves also seem to love wandering outside whenever possible. Is there any way to confine your dwarves to an exact spot or at the very least prevent your workers from wandering outside?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: So my dwarves like to wander out of their burrows.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 09:04:04 pm »

A raising Drawbridge that seals the entrance to the underground portion of your fort? A set of lever-controlled doors that will shut off all access to the surface after your Military is in position?
Never pet a burning dog.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 09:48:59 pm »

I've never seen a dwarf wander outside the burrows that are set during a military alert.

Were any of the active burrows not connected to each other?

Trickysticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 09:51:26 pm »

If your wagon is your meeting area, they'll go to it.
If they need foodz, and your food is outside, they'll go to it.
Or a classic: Silk Socks.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 09:58:17 pm »

Are the burrows tied to the alert?  It sounds to me like a possible cause is the alert is created, and the burrow is created, but the burrow is not set to be active when the alert is active.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 11:25:11 pm »

Burrows don't restrict the movement of dwarves.  A burrow causes any items or buildings outside the burrow to be forbidden to dwarves assigned to that burrow, but doesn't prevent the dwarf from walking outside the burrow.  Dwarves who are On Break or have No Job pretty much ignore burrow restrictions and wander wherever they please.  If you want a dwarf to stay inside a burrow, make sure he has some pressing high-priority job to do inside the burrow, otherwise he may just decide to take a random stroll or nap outside!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 01:19:37 am »

I see no problem with this if it's Urist McJobless, unless it's your legendary weaponsmith that's doing that. Have him make some bolts or something.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 01:57:15 am »

Make sure you have food and beds in the burrow. And a meeting area. This way all the dwarves assigned to a burrow will not go outside for a drink.

If your wagon is your meeting area, they'll go to it.
If they need foodz, and your food is outside, they'll go to it.
Or a classic: Silk Socks.
From my experiences, dwarves don't use meeting areas outside of their burrows. I don't know if a wagon breaks this rule, I always deconstruct my wagon since it's an uncontrollable meeting area which can cause trouble.

Also they shouldn't be able to pick up socks outside of burrows because all items outside of burrows are considered forbidden for them.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 09:13:09 am »

Burrows don't restrict the movement of dwarves.  A burrow causes any items or buildings outside the burrow to be forbidden to dwarves assigned to that burrow, but doesn't prevent the dwarf from walking outside the burrow.  Dwarves who are On Break or have No Job pretty much ignore burrow restrictions and wander wherever they please.  If you want a dwarf to stay inside a burrow, make sure he has some pressing high-priority job to do inside the burrow, otherwise he may just decide to take a random stroll or nap outside!
I guess this is the problem.

Maybe I should construct 20 underground pumps to keep everyone occupied.