Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Artifact Weapons  (Read 1416 times)

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact Weapons
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 05:23:06 am »

I believe skill only affects the wielder's ability to hit and parry with the weapon.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 10:25:54 am »

Skill doesn't affect damage? If not, I need to rethink some things.
Not directly, AFIAK, though of course hitting more often and more solidly helps hurt things more. I managed to dig up a thread where Toady discussed the attack formula, though it's outdated now surely. The new formula, if there is such a thing, is probably similar. Anyway, skill isn't in the damage calculation. Though Deon does state that "skill modifier applies to this damage," that might mean the dwarf's skill, or it might mean that item-quality-based modifier.

Although I believe your formula is either missing something or you're using a double variable, In order for (1+.2*Q)+Q=3+Q, Q=10 which makes the bonus 1.5...ish. Although if you use (1+.2*Q)+M=S+M, where Q is the supposed quality modifier (5 for master 10 for artifact in this instance), M is the same as Q but maxed at 5, and S is the check statement for a x1, x2, or x3 modification it would work.
I don't think that artifacts use the formula; they just have a multiplier of x3. Just because the numbers can be put to a formula doesn't mean that the formula is used ingame.

It's probably that no-quality items have a 1x skill multiplier, well-crafted items have a 1.2x multiplier and add 1, finely-crafted 1.4x+2, superior-quality 1.6x+3, exceptional 1.8x+4, and masterwork 2x+5. While it is true that that fits a formula, the game could just use those numbers directly rather than calculating them every time. That would allow artifacts to "break" the formula, which fits Toady's statements better than assuming artifacts have Q=10.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 11:13:23 am »

Quote from: NecroRebel
"break" the formula,

.....wha? That would still mean the original formula, regardless as to whether the game (I'm just shooting in the dark here) calculates it once and stores it's outcome for future use so it doesn't have to recalculate for a set variable each and every time or not, is still a misrepresentation and is still misleading.

And I thought the skill modifiers went x1+1, x1+2, etc until masterwork which is x2+5 and artifact which is x3+5, at least it's that way according to the wiki. The whole purpose of adding the +X in the formula rather than simplifying it (as you suggested) completely into a set number (1, 2.2, 3.4, etc) is to enable rounding up/down while avoiding same values over different qualities. At least from a programmers view, this is the best method to get the most bytes for your buck, and in a processor intensive game like DF this would make it the most probable to be used.

Not counting of course the high probability that Toady has some super secret ninja MIT formula that he's using. None of this helps me narrow that down though, oh well :/
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!
Pages: 1 [2]