Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Disease? Famine? Death? Let's Play Creatures 3!  (Read 20529 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disease? Famine? Death? Let's Play Creatures 3!
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2011, 11:52:21 pm »

So.. ATP decoupling from a molecular biologist:
Spoiler: Science! (click to show/hide)
Huh. Turns out there is some mild practical use to a PhD.

In other news, I haven't actually played this myself. Are the grendels/ettins limited in population (I think someone said they're sterile?) and therefore a limited-time-only challenge?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 11:55:23 pm by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2011, 01:39:23 am »

Specifically there can only be two Grendels and Two Ettins in the world at anytime.

There are egg spawners in the desert and Jungle that create Ettin and Grendel eggs respectively.

However the eggs also count towards this limit and if you were to place their eggs into water they would never hatch.

The Ettins are rather harmless and actually quite nice. Their problem is that they like snatching machinery and bring it to the Desert. They have bodies similar to Norns.

the Grendels are rather strong to disease but fight them off very very slowly meaning they are disease ridden and will make your norns ill. They also like beating Norns and Ettins to death and are nearly immune to such treatment themselves (you can slap them forever and not do anything to them). All beings hunt by scent so you can even trick Grendels into killing themselves. They are also resiliant.

For the most part Grendels arn't too too much of a threat if you know what your doing. afterall there is
-A device that lets you drag grendels
-a device that lets you pick them up
-The Mud cannon kills grendels if fired enough (I am not sure why... I think it may be because the mud cannon adds water to a creature's lungs)
-The space ship is a freeken death trap!

Though while I feel for the Grendels... It is really the Ettins that have my compassion.

You CAN have more Grendels and Ettins then 2 each... however to do that you need to save them (or export them). Actually if you combine two Grendels together it is possible to even get a female one.

Also they won't spawn in the world hits its very very small limit (8 creatures...) or rather their eggs won't hatch.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 05:40:57 pm by Neonivek »

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2011, 12:57:12 pm »

Thanks Bluerobin  :). I'll have to look into the ATP generation process a bit more (given that biology plays a large part in my degree)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2011, 11:36:02 pm »

Okay guys, let's start this up again! (Now with more pictures!)
Here is our first batch of eggs:

I bet you can't wait to figure out what breed are in there!

Well wait no more. Here we go! 1 male Harley, 1 male fallow, 1 male magma, 1 female fallow, 1 female astro, 1 male siamese, 1 female magma, and 1 female zebra
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pics broken.  :'(

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2011, 07:00:45 am »

Oh god dammit. Not AGAIN!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2011, 09:24:28 am »

imgur won't delete them.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2011, 12:09:13 pm »

Update time!

We start this round with a birth! one of the third generation specifically. Nothing special, but every extra body helps

Soon afterwords we get a birth from the aging remains of our first generation. Its a magma/fallow cross

Later in the Jungle a Zebra/Magma cross is born. Hopefully he won't suffer too much from the environment as the jungle can be a deadly place

Quickly following the magma/zebra is an Astro/fallow mix. At least they can be playmates.

Now, remeber way back when I said the garbage dump could be a potential disater waiting to happen? This is why. See that ettin? It's dead from a massive buildup of toxins and bacteria in its system. You can't see them here, but coating its body a "macrobacteria" which latched onto it when it wandered into the dump. we got lucky here because nothing wandered by and picked them up. If it had happened the whole ship could have been infected.

A nice little fallow norn mix is born. Score another for the third generation.

Our young Magma/Zebra norn has died in the jungle, likely due to a mix of starvation and disease.

Okay, this child here is the result of a norn and HIS MOTHER breeding. His father is also his brother :o

We have more births. I can't even tell you the species anymore because of all this crossbreeding.

And even more. You may have noticed that this is an area that you have not seen before. This is a room called "The lost cave". Its pretty mellow and full of food. I've moved these newborns here to avoid a huge overpopulation in the main sections of the ship.

NOW WE'RE TALKIN! Ladies and gents we have our first mutation. This magma/zebra mix was born to our first genners, however, you may notice his color is off. He has mostly zebra bodyparts, but you may recall that zebra norns are white. This guy is darker and GREENER. This is what we call a pigment mutation. He's going into the lost cave.

Not pictured is a young male zebra norn murdered by grendels.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:13:28 pm by moghopper »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2011, 03:42:31 pm »

Keep on going! I love reading this :)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2011, 03:45:44 pm »

Oh noes! Is the Harley dead?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2011, 07:03:44 pm »

Oh noes! Is the Harley dead?

Long dead

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2016, 03:41:25 pm »

Just picked this gem up again and I must say it's great. Would anyone be interested in an LP of it?
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2016, 07:02:31 pm »

Just picked this gem up again and I must say it's great. Would anyone be interested in an LP of it?

Yup

Atian the Elephantman God

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2016, 09:01:39 pm »

I am!

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2016, 06:18:01 am »

Alright, I'm trying to get back into the game but all my norns keep dying and the food supply runs out. Now I know I can get agents which supply unlimited food, but that results in norns just sitting in one place eating food all day (like some humans.) Anyone have any other ideas?

Btw, this is only $5.00 on GOG - worth it if you enjoyed genetics, or teaching the creature from black or white. We can also share norns! :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:27:21 am by Wysthric »
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Bacos666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2016, 02:17:52 pm »

Yes (ptw).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7