Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Disease? Famine? Death? Let's Play Creatures 3!  (Read 20551 times)

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
Disease? Famine? Death? Let's Play Creatures 3!
« on: April 21, 2011, 07:40:22 pm »

Ah the good old days, back when we didn't have a care in the world and we could play games to our hearts content. I will be bringing you a Let's play of a game from this period of my childhood. But what game is this? What could I be talking about?

Creatures 3 According to wikipedia:
"Creatures 3 is the third game in the Creatures a-life game series made by Creature Labs. In this installment, the Shee have left Albia in a spaceship, the Shee Ark, to search for a more spherical world. The Ark was abandoned by the Shee because a meteor hit the ship, but the infrastructure still remains in working order.

There are 6 main "metarooms" on the ship; the Norn Terranium, Grendel Jungle, Ettin Desert, Marine area, Bridge, and Engineering Room. The Norn Terranium is where you can safely hatch and raise your norns. The Grendel Jungle is where the Grendel mother (egg-layer) is, and it is well suited for Grendels. The Ettin Desert is where the Ettin mother is; it is a dry, harsh environment for all creatures. The Bridge is where you will find the most gadgets, and also the most Ettins. The Engineering Room is where the Agent Creator is, with which you can create objects for your world.

Grendels are now vicious, unlike the original Creatures Grendels; these Grendels enjoy hunting down, and then killing norns. The Ettins, which first appeared in Creatures 2, love gathering gadgets and taking them back to the Ettin Desert."

Essentially Creatures 3 has you raising a group of cute little critters and protecting them from danger and death. However, we will not be doing that. Instead, this will be a world where only those with strength, smarts, or luck will survive. The world will be set up, and then the critters (Norns) will be left to live (or die) on their own. There will be no help, and no safety.
Threats to these creatures include:
-evolving diseases
-overpopulation
-grendle attacks
-hostile fauna
-and much more

What I need from you all is what kind of norns to start with. This will determine the gene pool of our population and will impact their eventual evolution. There will be 8 starting norns. 4 males. 4 females. I need you all to choose the breeds of each. Please refer to this list before choosing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So what will generation one look like folks?

I'll be updating every three days or so to report on the population and the general state of things.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Disease? Famine? Death? Let's Play Creatures 3!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:52:11 pm »

Oh fuck yes. Get the Gaia agent, at least I think that's what it's called. It makes this a lot more fun.

Also, snag a Harley Male, and name him breadbocks.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 08:07:29 pm »

Oh wow, this is too good to be true. I've always wanted to play Creatures but every time I try to make an account to download the Docking Station my confirmation e-mail never comes :(

So yeah I say we have to have at least one Fallow Norn named Puck, and a Cave Norn named Ox. Ox must be a female.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 08:44:23 pm »

Dwarf Fortress forum, and nobody picked magma yet. I am disappointed. Stick one of those in there for me. Gender, name, don't care.

Anyway, those sound like the warrior types we need to survive in the hellhole you're going to leave them in. >.>

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:46:04 pm »

Dwarf Fortress forum, and nobody picked magma yet. I am disappointed. Stick one of those in there for me. Gender, name, don't care.

Anyway, those sound like the warrior types we need to survive in the hellhole you're going to leave them in. >.>

It won't start as a hellhole. But overpopulation, rampant disease, and grendle attacks can rapidly make things ugly. Plus, i'm using the garbage dump metaroom, so if a creature gets in there and becomes a macrobacteria host, they could spread the infection across the ship.

Hellhole indeed.

So far:
1 Female Cave norn
1 Male Harlequin Norn
1 Male Fallow Norn
1 Male Magma Norn
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:29:12 am by moghopper »

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 10:52:03 am »

While we wait for the other breed slots to be filled let's take a moment to discuss the world of creatures 3 and the rooms that comprise it.

Creatures 3 takes place on an abandoned starship with several terrainiums or biodomes. Each one has its own environment, ecology and risks associated with it. there are several standard rooms that come with creatures 3 and docking station. These are:

1. The norn terrainium: A very safe and welcoming place for norns. There is no hostile fauna and the environment is good for just about all the norn breeds. disease and infection is rare here and there is huge amounts of food.

2. The jungle: This room is hot, damp, and full of diseases. Much of the wildlife is hostile or a disease carrier. Norns are at a great risk in here but there is some (nasty) food to be had.

3. The desert: An extremely hot and barren room. While there is little in the way of disease there is also very little food to be had.

4. The Aqua room: Mostly water and full of dangerous life. It is probably the most dangerous room for norns unless they evolve water breathing (it can happen). The only food to be had is underwater.

5. The ship proper: No diseases, but nothing particularly interesting except for a few machines that we will not be using.

Docking station rooms:

1. The norn Meso: About as close to a norn paradise as there will be in this lp. No disease, literally tons of food, great weather, and lots of toys.

Unofficial add-ons used:

1. The Garbage dump: A very bad place to be. It is crawling with disease and all the food is toxic. Macrobacteria could cause problems later.

2. The lost cave: No idea. I thought I'd try it out.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 10:53:45 am »

I'll pick a Fallow female (name... Robin I guess). Oh and an astro. No preference on name/gender.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 10:56:11 am by Bluerobin »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 12:00:38 pm »

So far:
1 Female Cave norn
1 Male Harlequin Norn
1 Male Fallow Norn
1 Male Magma Norn
1 Female Fallow Norn
1 Female Astro Norn

2 slots left. one male, one female

Everything in the ship is ready. I just need those last 2 choices
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 12:10:00 pm by moghopper »

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 12:14:23 pm »

A Male Siamese Norn.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 12:16:48 pm »

Female Magma Norn

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 12:38:52 pm »

Done, and done. Starting now.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 12:40:42 pm »

And now the chaos unfolds. Wonder what sort of monstrous cross-breeds we'll get from all this?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 12:56:41 pm »

And so it begins. Here you can see the eggs of the first generation. This should become interesting.

And now they've hatched! what wonders await us.... Wait....  see a problem already. Our dear young Cave norn has developed a fascination with a door, constantly opening and closing it to great delight.... Simple things for simple minds I guess.

You may note that I'm not using the names you suggested. This is intentional as the creatures names will likely never come up or play an important part in the LP. Instead I have an autonamer active. This will keep things quick and painless.

My next update will be on sunday. By that time we should have a new generation or two.

(Please note how much larger a baby cave norn is compared to the other babies)

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 01:08:58 pm »

Watching.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 01:34:07 pm »

Turns out our female Cave norn is both mentally impaired and suffers from a rapid aging gene. She has reached adolescence in SEVEN MINUTES.

What should we do gentlemen?

-Leave things as is and limit our genepool
- Replace with another female cave norn
- or replace with a female of a different species?

Scratch that. Observations with other cave norns indicate that fast aging is normal for them. The mental impariment... not so much (dear god stop with the door please).

We have our first death: The female magma norn (wandered into the jungle and died from infection)

Second Death: Female Fallow Norn (Beaten to death by a grendel on the bridge)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:58:20 pm by moghopper »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7