Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Well, this is a first...  (Read 2264 times)

dude_ftw@live.com

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well, this is a first...
« on: April 21, 2011, 06:24:06 pm »

I...I was doing GREAT on my new embark, tetrahedrite, 150 FPS ON MY TERRIBLE COMP! Only 53Z levels on a Serene biome. Well, I needed weapons to fight and armor to protect, already had the danger room done and I was getting some Cotton Candy when... I  did it. I opened the carnival, 50-60 Clowns SPILL out, I start to panic and delete ALL Masonry tasks and assign 15 dorfs masonry to build 3 walls, 2 walls built and the fucking Clowns get in. They slaughter my 7-man army and traders currently there. F.M.L. BEST FORTRESS EVER, yet it didn't survive long.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 06:29:43 pm by dude_ftw@live.com »

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
Re: Well, this is a first...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 06:34:14 pm »

YAY!

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 06:38:04 pm »

This is why there are only three circumstances in which you should ever go for cotton candy.

1) You have used dftubefill from the DFhack library.
2. You've revealed the map and you know where the hollow center is.
3. You're prepared to lose the fortress.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

alcohol_dependent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 06:40:56 pm »

I...I was doing GREAT on my new embark, tetrahedrite, 150 FPS ON MY TERRIBLE COMP!

Do a 2x2, change cavern layers to 2 with magma layer on. You should get an average of 30z levels.. I think you'll be ok.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 06:45:13 pm »

Or just estimate where a 2x2 empty area might be and don't mine there, check if and where z-levels overlap and if they dont or do in a single square, mine out wholesale.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 06:48:44 pm »

This is why there are only three circumstances in which you should ever go for cotton candy.

There's always the safe extraction, digging only the tiles of which you see all adjacent tiles. Very minesweeper-style IMO. On my last fortress, with 2 and a half tubes I got over 150 pieces. Just don't misclick and unpause...
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 06:51:18 pm »

Or wall the miners in before they dig.

If they live, untold wealth for the fortress and eternal glory upon their names.

If they die, their names will be remembered. Tho not as much as their cries of despair and agony.

Cromage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 07:01:02 pm »

There's always the safe extraction, digging only the tiles of which you see all adjacent tiles. Very minesweeper-style IMO. On my last fortress, with 2 and a half tubes I got over 150 pieces. Just don't misclick and unpause...

Also, the hollow parts are always 2x2, meaning any chunk thinner than 4 squares long is safe.

You can also be very careful with your tunnels and rig-up a cave-in to bury the clowns. Might get a miner too, but never fear... his sacrifice will ensure your fort's survival.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:37:33 pm by Cromage »

dude_ftw@live.com

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 07:03:55 pm »

R.I.P My best fort EVER, I'm sincerely sorry for not remembering to savescum in time. SHIT, I could have savescummed?! FML!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 07:19:49 pm »

Don't worry; you can only really hate yourself if you decide to delete a save that you actually liked :P
I miss them so much :'(
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

dude_ftw@live.com

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 07:20:34 pm »

http://cheezburger.com/View/4680012032
RATE MY NEW MEME.
Edit: Oops Double Post.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 07:39:26 pm »

F.M.L. BEST FORTRESS EVER, yet it didn't survive long.

Export the save from Legends Mode, regen the world, and start a new fortress in the same spot. You won't get back your individual dwarves or any artifacts, but at least you'll have a clean version of the same site with a fair idea of where everything is.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 08:07:44 pm »

There are LOTS of ways to safely harvest Cotton Candy. Probably the most straightforward is to dig out all the normal stone that surrounds it, so that you can get a good look at the shape of the cluster, then shave off everything that cannot conceal a 4 x 4 block (containing a 2 x 2 hollow tube).
Never pet a burning dog.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 08:12:43 pm »

Can the "clowns" destroy bridges with their, um, pies?
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 08:22:12 pm »

I'm told that Building Destroyers no longer destroy Bridges in this version. Not sure if it's true.
Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: [1] 2