Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Well, this is a first...  (Read 2265 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Well, this is a first...
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 10:42:06 pm »

They can still melt them, at least.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 04:27:28 am »

Just place a hatch cover on top of your only entrance to the cotton candy vein.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

eNDer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 10:01:48 am »

I...I was doing GREAT on my new embark, tetrahedrite, 150 FPS ON MY TERRIBLE COMP!

Do a 2x2, change cavern layers to 2 with magma layer on. You should get an average of 30z levels.. I think you'll be ok.

What exactly do you have to tweak to get an average of 30z levels? Isit in the world gen parameter files?

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 11:50:29 am »

I had similar recently... thought I was mining microline to make room for magma forges...

Stormcloudy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 12:09:43 pm »

In Advanced World Gen Z levels above level 5 = 100 should do. That should make your cotton candy vein have 100 levels of SMR between it and the actual region of the Circus. Tube height may vary, in that I suppose you could still get a very very tall open space, but it's unlikely. In fact, you'd probably have a fully equipped squad or two by then anyway, so unless you got unlucky with syndromes and berserkers made of white diamond you'd likely survive and have a new area to colonize.

alcohol_dependent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 08:36:41 am »

I...I was doing GREAT on my new embark, tetrahedrite, 150 FPS ON MY TERRIBLE COMP!

Do a 2x2, change cavern layers to 2 with magma layer on. You should get an average of 30z levels.. I think you'll be ok.

What exactly do you have to tweak to get an average of 30z levels? Isit in the world gen parameter files?

Yes, generate world with advanced parameters on the main menu screen.

There's a few options in the world gen parameters pertaining to cavern layers and Z levels between them. Select your world size and hit e, it'll be a few pages down.

I suggest making it around 5-10 z levels above ground, 8 z levels before first cavern layer and changing cavern layers to 2. There's another setting like Bottom Layer (forces magma). Make sure that's on if you want adamantine and HFS.

This way you'll get all the features of the game as far as digging deeply goes, including one cavern layer thats very easy to dig to, (8 z levels below ground, but if you embark on a mountain you'll get more z levels going upward), as well as the magma sea and the circus.

I also recommend building your fortress vertically for maximum efficiency and least pathfinding, deleting clothing from the raw files and shutting off weather and possibly temperature. Temperature is Fun though, but I find weather adds little to the game for dropping off so much FPS.

You will maintain very high FPS even with many, many dwarves this way. By the time the game gets dry for you with these settings, you'll have figured out what you want to tweak to keep high FPS.
Pages: 1 [2]