Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A dwarf who's never been to my fortress bled into the aquifer.  (Read 729 times)

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I channelled out a few tiles into the aquifer to set up a water source for my hospital. I noticed that two of the walls of the channel have "A smear of Mafol Ragmagics's dwarf blood"

My immediate reaction was, how the hell did some idiot bleed down there? Did he fall in? It's only 1 Z-level and there's a RAMP!

So I looked around for body parts. None.
I looked for signs of blood in the room above. None.

Finally, I looked in the 'u'nit screen for Mafol Ragmagics. None.
Not alive. Not dead.

Is it possible for a dwarf to bleed into an aquifer at world-gen? Has anyone else ever uncovered blood smears while revealing new tiles digging? How would y'all explain this?
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.
The same guys that think its a good idea to make magmafalls.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: A dwarf who's never been to my fortress bled into the aquifer.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 04:43:24 pm »

Maybe he was a caravan guard or liason who gut wounded on the way to your depot.
And do those even use hospitals or wells?
Do children that get abducted and carried off map still show in the units screen? Maybe it was a child who got wounded once, and abducted later.

Thats the only explanation I could think off...
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 04:49:39 pm »

I should add some details.

This fortress is still in it's first year. I have had no visitors of any sort, aside from a wave of (all present and accounted for) migrants. I have had one death (he was not named Mafol Ragmagics).

So, I am very nearly certain that no dwarf named Mafol Ragmagics has set foot on the map since I embarked. I am also certain that no dwarf named Mafol Ragmagics has been inside the hospital I dug seconds before digging the water source.

The other odd thing is that the aquifer (and the blood) are on the fourth z-level down. There is a river about 10 squares away with a nice waterfall, the cliff being about 20 squares from where I dug up the blood.
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 04:56:00 pm »

The blood was probably on your miner's clothing, and when he dug into the aquifer he fell in (and got wet, washing off the blood) and climbed out.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 04:59:20 pm »

I have no idea if this is correct but I swear some dwarf use a second set of name and family name. I've often had dwarves getting injured and leaving some blood around in a random body of water, and can't find the name of the dwarf the blood is named after anywhere on my list. I just asume they have decided to live by a different name but the blood calls them by the other.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but I'm definatly getting weird named spatters of blood as well.

Who the hell is anvilrage. It's a good name but there is no single dwarf in my fortress with the family name of anvilrage.  And why is his blood in my river and bath house.  :o
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:02:20 pm by Jelle »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 05:04:22 pm »

In the units screen, are you looking for Mafol Ragmagics, or are you looking for Mafol Ledaroth? In many cases, a creature's surname will be translated from Dwarven, while in others, including on the units screen, it isn't. So, you may well have somebody named something like Mafol Ledaroth (which translates to Chamber RagMagic) that bled somewhere and the blood was carried or just teleported into the aquifer.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 05:51:37 pm »

No one with first name Mafol.
No one with last name Ledaroth.

The miner in question is Alath Rothezum. That has the 'roth' part in common.

Can a migrant walk onto the map with someone else's blood on him? It is possible this is the explanation, since it was the one migrant miner who did the digging.

That's about the only guess that fits the facts.

-EDIT-

Mafol Unibaroth is the Hunter who died within seconds of embark trying to axe an alligator. I suppose the miner could have gone to pick up his clothes and deposited the blood that way.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 05:56:20 pm by Masennus »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 06:01:32 pm »

It turns out that I made a mistake when I constructed the translated name; Rack/Led is immediately above Rag/Unib in the dwarf language file, and I misread Led as meaning Rag. Unibaroth is the proper translation of Ragmagics. Which, of course, is why you found a person with that name when you sought through your dead.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!