Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Boy, That Was A Fast Mood!  (Read 1793 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Boy, That Was A Fast Mood!
« on: April 21, 2011, 03:49:37 pm »

I had a migrant Weaver enter the map and go into a mood before he or she even got to the fortress.  It turned out that the mood needed plant fiber cloth, of which I had none at the time.  It was Mid-Spring so I figured on buying rope reed cloth from the Elves when they showed up, if my plant gatherer didn't find any rope reed before then.  One month passed and the Weaver went insane.   >:(
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
Re: Boy, That Was A Fast Mood!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 04:21:40 pm »

Grats.  You got the dwarven equivalent of a knitting grandmother who is, literally, going insane over having no knitting material.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 04:47:54 pm »

Grats.  You got the dwarven equivalent of a knitting grandmother who is, literally, going insane over having no knitting material.
That Alzheimer's is a real killer, ain't it?

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 05:32:10 pm »

There was a faster, but more dangerous solution - you could have broken into the caves and found some silk.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 06:06:21 pm »

Then send in some herbalists and grab pig tails.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 06:07:55 pm »

^ Or dig out the entire soil layer after breaching the caverns, then scavenge the stuff that grows on the newly revealed soil.

I remember in my first fort a clothier in my very first migrant wave "withdrew from society" the moment he entered the map. I thought he'd taken one look at my crappy fortress and left. Instead, he went insane a month later.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 06:25:06 pm »

Yes, plant fibers.  I had cave spider silk cloth, bought from the Dwarven caravan the first Autumn.  I had Pig Tails scheduled to be planted for a Summer crop.  I had a Farmer's Workshop built.  I had a Plant Processor.  I had a Plant Gatherer gathering aboveground plants like mad, hoping that I would find Rope Reeds.  I had gotten Longland Grass, a number of types of berries, Hide Root, and Blade Weed, but no Rope Reed.  I had already dug down to a cavern where there were plenty of webs and was just waiting for a weaver to arrive before breaching the location.  I was delighted when one showed up, then this happened.   :(  I even had some growths beginning in my underground soil layers and I supposed I could search for wild Pig Tails if I really had to.  Anyone could have woven one or two pieces of cloth once I had the thread.  I really thought the Elves would get there in time.  I never had a mood go bad in only one month.   >:(

Oh well, time for a new fortress.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 06:38:44 pm »

What for?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 06:42:42 pm »

If this happens again and you're not averse to cheating, you could just copy the pig tail thread tags to whatever you do have in the save's raws. I've added milk to unicorns in an on-going fort, so it should work. Plump helmet cloth. Really, if something's just not available, it's a bit shitty to have to lose a dorf to it. There should be some point between normal and stark raving mad where they'll take anything they can get their hands on.

One of my miners had a mood go bad earlier today, and I think that only took a month, too. Maybe the new personality stuff has made them more skittish.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 07:29:49 pm »

I was only a little over a year in so there was not much lost by dumping it.  I did pull my initial save back out of the trash basket when I remembered that there was a lair-with-door on that site.  I just don't feel like playing the first year there over again right now.  I can't get Quickfort to work right since I got my new computer with Windows 7.  It's not the admin rights, because I can get DFHack and Dwarf Therapist to work okay.  But anyway, it would be too boring right now to do all those designations over again by hand the same day.  I've started a new site in the same world, with a different set of problems.  :)  Hopefully I won't get such an impatient mood Dwarf this time.  BTW, I've got no problem with using smelter reactions to create stuff.  I was just taken by surprise by the short time allowed by this Dwarf.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 07:53:38 pm »

What for?

Seconding this. Why would you need a new fort if you only had one dwarf go horribly horribly wrong?

Dragonfel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 08:44:04 pm »

This happened to me yesterday when I started my new fort. A random carpenter migrant got a mood en-route to my fortress and proceeded to carve a statue of my blacksmithing dwarf "embracing" two yaks....

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 08:58:08 pm »

... and proceeded to carve a statue of my blacksmithing dwarf "embracing" two yaks....

That sounds a bit... rural... doesn't it?

It could have been sheep instead, I suppose.
Never pet a burning dog.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 10:03:23 pm »

This happened to me yesterday when I started my new fort. A random carpenter migrant got a mood en-route to my fortress and proceeded to carve a statue of my blacksmithing dwarf "embracing" two yaks....
*sniffle* What? I got something in my eye.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 10:06:40 pm »

What for?

Seconding this. Why would you need a new fort if you only had one dwarf go horribly horribly wrong?

Because it was a silly way for a Dwarf to die, entering the map with an instant mood and going insane after only one month.  It's practically a programming bug, although apparently such quick mood declines are the norm now so it probably falls under "working as intended".  If I had known it was going to happen so quickly I could have modded something in to prevent such a meaningless death.  Next time it happens, I will.  In the meantime, with so little invested in the fortress other than several hours of my laying out rooms and corridors, it is more interesting to start fresh.  I can always start that one over again from the initial save, after I've forgotten exactly what I did.  Otherwise I will be sitting here trying to reproduce the exact same layout and cursing the delay in getting back to where I was before the silliness occurred.  The only loss was a low value artifact leather high boot, which I wasn't all that keen on anyway.   :P

Pages: [1] 2