Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: X: Rebirth(a.k.a Egosoft's TNBT)  (Read 18608 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: X: Rebirth(a.k.a Egosoft's TNBT)
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 04:20:22 am »

None of you probably know this, but X2 was the very first space-based game I ever got for myself.  I guess you could say I've been in love with the series sense the beginning.

But even so, there are a few things they could change.  THe GUI, for one, has always been a complex mess that left me going through the keybindings over and over again to find everything in an orderly manner.  Rather frustrating, sense when I imagine the holographic projector screens in a capital class ship, I want ot be able to store boxes and icons in different places, keeping a bunch of information ready at my fingertips for when I need it.  Just my thoughts.

The rest, well... I couldn't complain about the graphics, no matter how much I tried, and the modding community has kept thing alive long after each game has been released.

Just my thoughts, though.  I'm still waiting for more information about X:R before I make any sort of saying that I'm going ot hate it or whatnot.  8)

Well, Egosoft loves ego. X2 was one of my first ventures into space too, from the demo on the PCGamer disk which got me buying the full game.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2011, 08:02:45 am »

X3:TC had a decent GUI. Leagues better than the GUI they had formerly. Room for improvement, but I would imagine X:R will be in part based off of TC's GUI.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 12:50:51 am »

A supernova can do much worse than that, though.  Even hundreds of lighyears away, the blast of it can strip atmospheres from planets, destroy suns, and generally mess everything up, not just the warp systems.   Not to mention the ensuring radiation would force anyone who survived to be evacuated as far away as possible.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they had to load up every ship they could and find a new home all-together, outside of the galaxy.  I just think things would be interesting like that, anyway.   8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2011, 04:27:02 am »

Stars, not suns. So, this could be all the races pulling together to start anew, elsewhere. It could be set in a different part of the Universe/Galaxy with different races, making it a spiritual successor. Or perhaps something else.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2011, 06:07:32 am »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they had to load up every ship they could and find a new home all-together, outside of the galaxy.  I just think things would be interesting like that, anyway.   8)

While it would be interesting, it's unlikely that they would have to go outside of the galaxy, even though supernovas can affect things in a large area around them (up to a couple thousands light years), the danger zone is smaller than that, and the galaxy very big (100 000 light years diameter). But since the X universe is set in a specific sector of the galaxy, with all its population in the same general area, a supernova could very well force them to migrate a couple hundred light years away. They should have a lot of time to get away though, since their systems are at least tens of light years apart from each other, and the danger from the supernova only travels at light speed while they can travel faster than light.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2011, 10:30:44 am »

While it would be interesting, it's unlikely that they would have to go outside of the galaxy, even though supernovas can affect things in a large area around them (up to a couple thousands light years), the danger zone is smaller than that, and the galaxy very big (100 000 light years diameter). But since the X universe is set in a specific sector of the galaxy, with all its population in the same general area, a supernova could very well force them to migrate a couple hundred light years away. They should have a lot of time to get away though, since their systems are at least tens of light years apart from each other, and the danger from the supernova only travels at light speed while they can travel faster than light.
IIRC canonically the X universe's gates actually link together stars that are thousands of lightyears apart, since only one in a thousand or so stars have planets that are actually capable of supporting life.

Ignoring that, even if all the planets are gathered in a relatively small area, I really doubt a system a lightyear away from a supernova would be in danger from the radiation it emits, and the other junk would take several decades at least to get there, probably a hell of a lot more. Even so, moving one more lightyear away would half the effect of either of those things. Realistically I really don't see a supernova being much of a threat...

Of course I honestly doubt any of this has any basis in reality, so it's a moot point. When it comes to this kind of thing, you've just got to ignore the glaring issues with the physics/logistics of it.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2011, 10:39:01 am »

The X series doesn't seem to use much hard science. They have space fireflies and various stuff like that.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2011, 11:52:52 am »

The X series doesn't seem to use much hard science. They have space fireflies and various stuff like that.
Yessss, pretty pretty space flies

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2011, 12:51:16 pm »

I always liked the general atmosphere X games provide, and I started on X2 also.

However there are MANY issues Egosoft need to look forward to fixing & improving, and I really hope they make the best space game ever, because (as they said) they're developing X games for more then a decade, and it doesn't take THAT much time to play some space games, read reviews and gamers' opinions, and find out what would make the perfect space game.

They should stop 'leaving the good stuff for later' (I always think they do this) and fix that economy, make it real, make planets influence the economy (I mean, you can produce all kinds of stuff but can't sell it to colonies on planets? If planets are so self-sufficient, let's quit producing shit in space ffs --- raeg off).

I'm curious to see how they'll make this work, and to bring the best of the X series to a new 'platform'.
If they build it from scratch and make it feel/look too much like previous X games I will be mad at them.

Also if they still don't let you land on planets, building the game from scratch won't amuse me, heheheh
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 01:42:36 pm »

I feel like I am missing something everyone else gets, because I have X3:TC and I found it to be the absolutely most boring thing I have ever put on my hard drive. The missions had me sitting by a gate and waiting 10 minutes at a time for ships to fly by, WTF is that about?
I got nothing

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2011, 01:50:01 pm »

Ignoring that, even if all the planets are gathered in a relatively small area, I really doubt a system a lightyear away from a supernova would be in danger from the radiation it emits, and the other junk would take several decades at least to get there, probably a hell of a lot more. Even so, moving one more lightyear away would half the effect of either of those things. Realistically I really don't see a supernova being much of a threat...

I did a little research into that and it seems that the big danger comes from gamma ray bursts, apparently those are able to strip the ozone layer of a planet. Other than that the luminosity increase don't seem dangerous once you get around a light year away, as you said. But it would seem that an hypernova as far as 6000 light years away can endanger life on a planet with gamma ray bursts.

Quote from: wikipedia 'Ordovician-Silurian extinction event'
A small minority of scientists have suggested that the initial extinctions could have been caused by a gamma ray burst originating from a hypernova within 6,000 light years of Earth (in a nearby arm of the Milky Way Galaxy). A ten-second burst would have stripped the Earth's atmosphere of half of its ozone almost immediately, exposing surface-dwelling organisms, including those responsible for planetary photosynthesis, to high levels of ultraviolet radiation.

I feel like I am missing something everyone else gets, because I have X3:TC and I found it to be the absolutely most boring thing I have ever put on my hard drive. The missions had me sitting by a gate and waiting 10 minutes at a time for ships to fly by, WTF is that about?

I didnt play TC but i have both X2 and X3, and for me the fun isnt much about the missions, and more about the economic simulation, with some pew pew when you want to  try your new lazors. So the free roaming part, not the scripted one.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:55:25 pm by Sirian »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2011, 02:57:49 pm »

Fans aren't about the structured missions. It's ALL about the sandbox. You can literally build your own supply chains among space stations and set up automated trading routes to haul them to manufacturing plants and then haul the resulting products to market to make money. It has a LOT of depth.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2011, 04:42:18 pm »

Fans aren't about the structured missions. It's ALL about the sandbox. You can literally build your own supply chains among space stations and set up automated trading routes to haul them to manufacturing plants and then haul the resulting products to market to make money. It has a LOT of depth.

So what, kinda like Patrician? Buy cheap from point A then fly to point B and sell high, then repeat it? Then use the GUI to automate that with a fleet of ships? Is that fun, because it sound likea grind to me with no point. Do you build anything or do you watch the money go up and down and thats it? I honestly want to find the fun part that people talk about, I guess I will have to try again and see for myself.
I got nothing

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2011, 04:44:23 pm »

So what, kinda like Patrician? Buy cheap from point A then fly to point B and sell high, then repeat it? Then use the GUI to automate that with a fleet of ships? Is that fun, because it sound likea grind to me with no point. Do you build anything or do you watch the money go up and down and thats it? I honestly want to find the fun part that people talk about, I guess I will have to try again and see for myself.

Build yourself a trading empire, produce more money, get a capital ship.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2011, 04:53:27 pm »

I did a little research into that and it seems that the big danger comes from gamma ray bursts, apparently those are able to strip the ozone layer of a planet. Other than that the luminosity increase don't seem dangerous once you get around a light year away, as you said. But it would seem that an hypernova as far as 6000 light years away can endanger life on a planet with gamma ray bursts.

Quote from: wikipedia 'Ordovician-Silurian extinction event'
A small minority of scientists have suggested that the initial extinctions could have been caused by a gamma ray burst originating from a hypernova within 6,000 light years of Earth (in a nearby arm of the Milky Way Galaxy). A ten-second burst would have stripped the Earth's atmosphere of half of its ozone almost immediately, exposing surface-dwelling organisms, including those responsible for planetary photosynthesis, to high levels of ultraviolet radiation.
1) A hypernova only emits gamma radiation out of it's poles in two rather narrow cones, that actually makes it less of a danger to stars nearby (and yes it could be further away, and yes types of ordinary supernova can emit large amounts of gamma rays to present a danger to planets orbiting stars in a relatively close proximity).

2) We're kind of arguing about nuts and peanuts, the entire thing is still realistically unfeasible, and I doubt the game has a strong basis in reality.

Anyway... I hope they do something about the out of sector combat in this one, it kind of made things awkward. Specifically I remember the defense turrets being kinda crappy out of system, despite being fairly good in system...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6