Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: X: Rebirth(a.k.a Egosoft's TNBT)  (Read 18585 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: X: Rebirth(a.k.a Egosoft's TNBT)
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2011, 07:12:50 pm »

If this turns out good it will be among the best games ever with that capital ship stuff. This is the pipedream that Derek Smart wishes he could make.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2011, 09:02:26 pm »

I'm drooling, to say the least.  Other than that, I am withholding speculation/opinion on the game until I have it at my fingertips.  I have nothing worng with being bound to a single ship, especially if you can walk around and interact with NPCs inside and outside out. Haha.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2011, 09:07:36 pm »

I'm drooling, to say the least.  Other than that, I am withholding speculation/opinion on the game until I have it at my fingertips.  I have nothing worng with being bound to a single ship, especially if you can walk around and interact with NPCs inside and outside out. Haha.  8)
I don't think you're bound to a single ship. In fact it specifically mentioned being able to dock with capital ships and then walk around.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2011, 09:17:39 pm »

I think you're limited to controlling one ship, if you don't count drones. No more vast fleets.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2011, 09:32:28 pm »

Well, im thinkking you can pilot one plot specific upgradeable ship, but still OWN many more, in cluding capitol ships.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2011, 11:55:22 pm »

I found the details on their forums now, apperently you are restricted to one main ship, the drones, and boarding capital ships. There's a bit more to it than that though. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=306576

I definitely like the ideas with drones - being able to fly into the ubiquitous exhaust shafts and whatnot to do some sabotage instead of destroying an enemy installation could be pretty damn cool.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2011, 12:25:29 am »

Sounds interesting.

I just hope the AI has really been improved as much as they're leading us to believe. Being forced to rely on a crummy AI would be rather game breaking.

Heres hoping their economy is deeper with actual functioning supply and demand too. The facade of it in X3 was alluring, but ultimately disappointing.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2011, 01:42:35 am »

I just hope the capital ships aren't weaker then the advanced fighters this time around.....

You can't imagine how crushed I was when I played reunion, built up a massive interstellar empire to finally be able to afford a titan.... only to find it literally could not hit fighters (which were 99% of the enemies in the game). The quick projectile weapons (flak cannons or whatever) had such a short range it was smaller then the collision envelope for the ship, so enemies turned away before they ever got in range. The longer range weapons had projectiles that moved so ridiculously slow there's no way they could hit anything, ever, except other capital ships.

Meanwhile you could just take your heavy fighter (forget the name) stick heavy plasma cannons in every slot, slide right up next to an enemy capital ship, tape down fire and make a sandwich, and come back to one destroyed enemy capital ship.

I tell you what though, if you want a laugh... take the titan on the storyline mission where you have to navigate inside an asteroid. Hint: the titan is bigger then the asteroid.

Edit: Yes on the actual working economy too. The reunion economy only worked because NPC space stations could magically produce some things without inputs. Also, the economy was upside down, energy cells were the 'base' of the system (since everything used them) but they were also the best, most valuable thing to produce due to high demand - building your own factories to use the ecells to produce goods was a waste of money, you could sell the ecells the factory used for more then the end product the factory spat out (there were a few small exceptions like space fuel or whatever they called alcohol but the demand was too low to matter). I crunched numbers for a long time and was disappointed that the best use of my investment money was pretty much always yet another solar power plant.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:53:07 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2011, 01:55:39 am »

I'm sure if they're really building from the ground up like they say, the balance of ships and economy will be quite different. But we have to wait and see how it pans out. Meanwhile, there's a LOT of cool sounding info on the forums already it looks like. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewforum.php?f=109

This thread is the one I'm currently going through, with some nice juicy bits about how stations and the like are built now.
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=307412

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2011, 02:10:00 am »

From the looks of it in another post about navigation, the "sectors" system will see a cosmetic-ish overhaul. So, there are "zones", which are individual cities or other populated areas/areas of interest. There are "sectors", which are large clumps of "zones". There are "clusters", which are collections of sectors (usually one star system). You are free to travel within a sector by using local "highways", but between sectors you travel by "superhighways". Local highways you can leave at any point, and can maneuver inside of them (whoever else saw Finding Nemo - the EAC as displayed there is probably a good analogue), but superhighways are closed. You can still maneuver, but can't leave until you're at the destination. So, in essence, this is still the same old system, except that it looks less constraining, and is probably more fun to navigate than gates.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2011, 02:34:54 am »

Sounds like the galaxy might end up being pretty huge. It was already pretty big just in Terran Conflict. Though the jumpdrive tended to reduce the feeling of size a wee bit.

Overall it sounds kinda like how Freelancer was except with different scale. I kinda like it.

And I could see there being some nasty or otherwise hidden stuff in the areas between zones. Betting this is where we'll commonly find our old friends the pirates.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2011, 09:48:40 am »

freelancer The sequel anybody?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2011, 05:26:35 pm »

They are actually going back to the first X game, which predates Freelancer.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2011, 05:36:56 pm »

freelancer the prequel 2 anybody?
So this then, BigD?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2011, 06:07:01 pm »

They are actually going back to the first X game, which predates Freelancer.

Well i never played the first X but i did play freelancer and these spacelane highway thingy make me think about freelancer, well we will see sure thing im buying it just because its egosoft that made the game wich mean, modding community will kick that game into awesome sauce. im no programer but what i love to do is trying to figure out the devlopemnt setup and how game work and figure out how we can change stuff etc, and my head telling me this game wont have HUGE modding capacity but either thesecond big patch or sequel will allow a near total freedom modding wise much more than X3TC where i got these info? no where just using gathered data and logic, i may be totally wrong too and i dont even know why im saying all that....

Good bye!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6