Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: X: Rebirth(a.k.a Egosoft's TNBT)  (Read 18584 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: X: Rebirth(a.k.a Egosoft's TNBT)
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2011, 06:29:09 pm »

When I build a sector up I always put 8 lazortowurz on the gates that the Xenon simply loves to appear from.

It gets me so pissed off to receive that message "Your ship Universal Trader Level 10 has been killed by a Xenon Q in your heavy patrolled sector lol noob" so I just put those towers there and see shit blow up in an instant.

It always rarely hit innocent civilians but it's for the greater good of my bank account the galaxy.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2011, 06:30:03 pm »

There are three big things I can't stand about the X series:

1. Out of sector combat gives totally different results from in sector combat, to the point of small groups of M3s managing to somehow blow up capital ships.

2. In-sector AI is terrible. Absolutely, positively, horrifyingly terrible. This becomes readily apparent if you ever attempt to fight a battle as a carrier ship, since your fighters will crash into your hull when told to follow you - killing themselves and stripping your shields. They also do this if you happen to have a fight going too close to your ship. Or if you look at them funny. This can be reduced by using slow fighters (or not upgrading the speed of fighters meant for the AI), but it's still very annoying.

I guess 1 and 2 may be related, in that #1 assumes the M3s are far smarter than they are, and #2 has them waddle around and get shot (or slam into the ship they're trying to fight, which is less effective than one might think).

Oh, and for the third thing:

3. The economy is extremely shallow and broken. Without the player's intervention, few if any of the AI controlled factories ever get enough supply to produce much of anything. Theres always a huge demand for just about everything just about anywhere, because the AI traders don't ever really accomplish anything. They spawn endlessly and fly around, but generally their cargo rarely reaches the target and they either die and respawn somewhere or just sit in some station for ages. On the other end of the spectrum, the player can produce limitless amounts of pretty much whatever they want, and as long as he prices it low enough the AI will magically spawn traders to buy it in droves, even if the only way into the sector is through xenon territory where all the outgoing ships die (and then respawn and buy more). You can do this with loop complexes that produce everything they need to output large amounts of an end product.

Like I once made a gigantic electronics manufacturing complex, making more electronics than every factory in the universe could have possibly used, without any outside input required. It was made to do the ridiculous resource collection quest in the game, but after that was done it just sat there churning out more money than I knew what to do with - because no matter how much crap it produced, there was an endless stream of traders coming to buy it because it was priced at the minimum. Although, to be honest, I did find things to do with the money - mainly due to the fact my capital ships kept dieing to pirate novas while out of sector, and the only way to prevent it was to make super fleets that could have conquered the universe (if it was possible to actually conquer anything in the game, that is).

If they could correct these things, it could be a really good game. If this game ends up with the same shortcomings, I'm going to be very disappointed.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2011, 06:43:50 pm »

Yep Paul, also the same issues everyone gets mad about comes from X2 to X3:R AND X3:TC (I'm not sure about the older one since I never played it).
Seriously, if they manage to reproduce the same mistakes I'll be so amazed..........
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2011, 05:10:03 am »

Here's a video from FedCon(Some conference where info is being revealed on X:Rebirth, they're only giving crappy quality pictures and the video for now)

There's a thread here which has links to some packs of images at the bottom that gets updated pretty much daily.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2011, 10:33:38 am »

New stuff. It's the translated interview and some info on X:Rebirth.

Interesting stuff;

Something on capital ships, sadly they still don't explain how they're now going to work.
What features have been left out from previous series? - Things haven't been left out just because they're hard to develop, rather we've concentrated on bring in gameplay features that are 'cooler'. Previously, for example, it was possible to pilot a capital ship from its bridge. No more. It took many players a long time to get to the point where they would own one and it wasn't a huge amount of fun to fly. If we'd included this, it would have put us back a bit.

What the 'supernova' was/meant and how the game is different in lore from the previous game:
What can you say about the story? You're not breaking with the canon of the story, but everything is new. - In the future of the X Universe a lot has happened since the events of Terran Conflict, among which is the fact that the Ancients' gate network that binds the people of the X Universe together have shut down. Some say it started with a supernova, but the end result is that some regions are totally cut off from others and the universe has changed dramatically as a result of the isolation. This gives us a huge amount of design freedom and imagine the possibilities this gives the player!

Will the game support modding? - Yes, we're not changing our philosophy. We'll open up the games to the fans and work with them. The foundations of this have long-since been established through our forums and its embedded 'DevNet'.

Now the player can identify critical systems and target them.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:39:39 am by Cheese »

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2011, 10:38:30 am »

Anyone else bothered that they're still using the same voice for the ship computer?

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2011, 10:40:13 am »

It's a familiar voice, it's like a series gimmick.

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2011, 07:31:00 pm »

I hope I'll still beable to pilot a M7 from the bridge. To me the the boring to fly ships were the M1, M2 and TL class ships. They were really slow and took a while to turn. Some M7s were faster than M6s.
nothing

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2011, 05:12:07 am »

Newold screenie. It seems solar power plants will be right next to stars now.

Also, new X-news with some more pictures of an ore refinery which is 1900m long.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:14:02 am by Cheese »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2011, 08:09:19 am »

I feel like I am missing something everyone else gets, because I have X3:TC and I found it to be the absolutely most boring thing I have ever put on my hard drive. The missions had me sitting by a gate and waiting 10 minutes at a time for ships to fly by, WTF is that about?

I suppose the reason it was fun for me was due to the years and years of driving past parked police cars with their inhabitants watching and waiting for the slightest sign that they could bust me for something.

In space, I am the policeman.

EDIT2: Plus it's watching all the pretty ships fly by and scanning their contents. 39 units of boron spice? Goodluck selling that here in Xenon Hell 309, crazy NPC.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:11:57 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2011, 09:21:58 am »

I feel like I am missing something everyone else gets, because I have X3:TC and I found it to be the absolutely most boring thing I have ever put on my hard drive. The missions had me sitting by a gate and waiting 10 minutes at a time for ships to fly by, WTF is that about?

I suppose the reason it was fun for me was due to the years and years of driving past parked police cars with their inhabitants watching and waiting for the slightest sign that they could bust me for something.

In space, I am the policeman.

EDIT2: Plus it's watching all the pretty ships fly by and scanning their contents. 39 units of boron spice? Goodluck selling that here in Xenon Hell 309, crazy NPC.

Don't forget the fun you can have if you camp a gate that has one of your Space Weed/Fuel complexes on the other side!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2011, 12:23:26 pm »

Details Emerge!!!
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/04/x-rebirth-details-revealed-land-on-capital-ships-boss-around-npcs-and-fly-sneaky-drones/

Npc crews? Capitol ships so big you can land on them and walk around to interact with said crews? YES PLEASE!

Reiina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2011, 02:16:55 pm »

Personally I don't care about what they're announcing.

What I'd like to see:
1)No more sectors
It's doable, evochron, an indie game developed by a single guy did it...
2)Better ship AI
No more ships crashing into each other please...
3)Better "quest" system
You have 30secs left to go get that ship and bring it back here undoable quests are a design disaster :).

If they manage that I'm sold, otherwise I won't bother...

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2011, 06:44:50 pm »

Details Emerge!!!
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/04/x-rebirth-details-revealed-land-on-capital-ships-boss-around-npcs-and-fly-sneaky-drones/

Npc crews? Capitol ships so big you can land on them and walk around to interact with said crews? YES PLEASE!
I'm interested in this, too. To be perfectly honest, I like what I'm seeing/reading for Rebirth and will get it if I can afford it. I like crews, I like walking around large structures, I like the modular "surface build" system they're talking about -- I just hope they don't forget to add a little of that undefinable "magic" that the X3 (and probably X2) was missing. I love the idea of the X series, but I don't play X3 that often anymore. Haven't played it at all this year, in fact.

That makes me sad. I love space games, I love sandboxes, I love building factories and complexes and ships ... and flying everything I own, or commanding giant fleets ...

Maybe I just need the right mods or something. Vanilla X3 felt like a great concept without a soul.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2011, 06:58:15 pm »

Don't know about sectors and quests, but I do know it's a brand new re-write of the ai code. The ai is supposed to be the main pilot of your larger ships, so I hope it knows how to fly!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6