Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: damaged meat?  (Read 843 times)

Jim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
damaged meat?
« on: December 21, 2006, 02:23:00 pm »

[img]http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/8412/mangledmeatke1.th.png" alt="" class="bbc_img" /> [/IMG]

i don't think i've ever seen this before.  is it a new feature?  the mule meat is damaged and inedible.  same thing happened to my turtles too.  all of this food was purchased before embarking, and i went to a really cold glacier map.  did the food get damaged by the cold?

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: damaged meat?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 03:18:00 pm »

Yeah, probably.  Now you have another reason to place the food in an indoor food stockpile as soon as possible.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 03:55:00 pm »

I think this is a feature not a bug... freezer burn ya know.

The_Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 06:11:00 pm »

I suspect food stockpiles are not proof-positive against this.  I have a number of raw cave fish that have become worn whilst sitting, I believe, in a stockpile.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 06:16:00 pm »

Raw food rots unless it's inside a barrel.

Yat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 07:15:00 pm »

Toady told me it was prolly a temperature related thing, when i had some cow meat indoors that "was showing some wear"

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 11:33:00 pm »

Neither raw food nor regular food rots when it's on a stockpile.  "Damage" is not "rot", and supposedly this phenomenon of damaged food is caused by the new temperature/fire code.  I believe it's a bug, which will be fixed at some point.

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 01:31:00 am »

Do vermin cause problems with food yet?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 04:41:00 am »

Yeah, food that isn't stored in barrels is much more susceptible to being eaten by vermin.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 08:27:00 pm »

As a balance issue, meat/fish is a hassle.  Agriculture and rum roasts are the only way to feed dwarves.  A small farm, a kitchen, still and barrels feeds every dwarf in town.  Meals can come pre-consolidated in stacks of 40+ without any barrels tied up in food storage.  I hardly grow any plump helmets, except to quickly brew into wine, and any meat from the butcher shop is cooked into a stew immediately.  My smiths & furnace operators will walk all the way beyond the river for a mushroom or piece of meat when I have plenty of fresh stews right in their own private cafeteria.  So, I cook the stuff right away.

Thus, balance ... Its almost impossible to starve a dwarf these days.  If a Plump Helmet[2] brews into 10 servings of wine, 10 servings of wine should perhaps only cook into 2 units of food.  While horse meat[6] could cook into 12 units of food, balancing out food produced more in line with nutritional value of what's been cooked.

Example
Horse Meat[6] + Plump Helmet[3] + Cave Fish [2]

Horse Meat Roast[22] (double for meat/produce/fish)

While
Dwarven Rum[20] + Dwarven Wine[12] + Dwarven Wine[14]

Rum Roast[10] (1/5 for booze, if not forbid all recipes unless some meat/fish/produce is used)

Not that I don't have enough going on to keep me occupied, but my farmers just haul except for a once yearly quick crop.  I love how Master growers make lots of 4-5 sized harvests, increases booze production dramatically.

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 01:45:00 am »

To improve balance, I sorta feel one unit of food should only process into two (as booze, syrup, leaves, etc.).  Milled foods (flour, sugar) should be upped to 2/plant as well.

Captain_Action

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 02:44:00 am »

There should be ingredients that are food and others that are flavoring.

The all the drinks should be pushed into flavoring category. The rational being that no dwarf can live on beer alone.(despite how hard they try)   ;)

That would leave meat, fish, and edible plants as your food base.

With milling, things get complicated. Is dwarven syrup a flavoring or food? Should grinding(milling) meat into sausage be allowed?

[ December 24, 2006: Message edited by: Captain_Action ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 03:47:00 pm »

The cooking req is meant to handle these substanceless meal problems.  Who knows when we'll get there though...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 04:38:00 pm »

I was thinking about adding some flavouring plants as a mod. The best way i could think of capturing the idea would be to make the spices grow in clusters of 1, so that they didn't add an appreciable quantity of food (compared to the 25 for quarry bush leaves, booze etc) but have a very high [VALUE].
This way cooking food with a little bit of coriander will only add 1 to the stack, but increase its trade value significantly.

But then you have the problem of a coriander roast[4] consisting of just coriander >_<

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2006, 01:06:00 am »

I still like my Dwarven Wheat Flour Roast[4]
Made of minced Dwarven Wheat Flour, minced Dwarven Wheat Flour, minced Dwarven Wheat Flour, and minced Dwarven Wheat Flour.  :D
*Wonders how you can mince flour.*
Pages: [1] 2