Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A new perk to floodgates  (Read 2090 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
A new perk to floodgates
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:30:51 pm »

Here's a simple illustration of my concept.

OOOOOOOOOO
22222X777777
22222X777777
OOOOOOOOOO

Where
O = wall
X = new floodgate with *allow water flow* set to 2
2 = 2/7 water
7 = 7/7 water

My idea is to implement a new but simple, practical, and realistic function to the existing floodgates we have now.

Give floodgates the option of allowing a certain level of water to go past them.

Basically, the way this works is that when a floodgate is placed down, we also get the option of allowing a certain level of water to flow past them. Floodgates default with *block all water* (what the current floodgate is now), but after putting down a floodgate, it's "water blocking rate" can be adjusted in a similar manner to adjusting the sensitivity of a pressure plate. If the water blocking rate is set to 7, it'll let all water through, although with its pressure reduced.

Assuming the floodgates are propped up against a large water source (eg. river), here will be the general effects of each degree of water blockage.

With *allow water flow* set to 1, it will essentially be a tiny trickle that can only wetten the ground behind the floodgate
With *allow water flow* set to 2, there will be a small stream spilling out behind the floodgate (good for smaller tree farms)
With *allow water flow* set to 4, there will be a moderate river like flow coming out, enough to fill and maintain a nice swimming pool.
With *allow water flow* set to 7, it'll basically be the same as an unrestricted water flow from a river except with the pressure reduced

Opening a floodgate with a lever will still allow all water to flow past unhindered. This idea only applies to when floodgates are closed.

Note: I am perfectly aware that the same effect of water level control can be achieved with careful pressure plate and mechanism wiring, but the disadvantages of such are that...

1. It requires measurement and timing and possibly quite a bit of trial and error to achieve the desired result.
2. The constant need to detect water levels and switch floodgates consumes fps.
3. Closing floodgates destroys any liquid beneath them. This can be a problem for maps with limited surface water.
4. The constantly changing and dynamic nature of a pressure plate based water-level controller means that if something gets stuck in the floodgates while they're open, the results might produce a bit more FUN than the player intended.

Alternatively, we could also implement a new building called the "dam", although I prefer the number of new introduced buildings kept to a minimum

NEW FLOODGATES!!!

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A new perk to floodgates
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:28:18 pm »

Ask your self this:

How would this be done in real life?

Then ask yourself:

Could they do this in/before the Middle Ages?

I can't think of how they would've achieved this in the Middle Ages without having a person there at all times making sure that it doesn't go too high.

On the other hand, we could have a floodgate that lets water out until a certain height, which is essentially a low wall.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 12:28:09 am »

Pressure!
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 02:39:19 am »

On the other hand, we could have a floodgate that lets water out until a certain height, which is essentially a low wall.

Which has been suggested before. It's also something I'd like to see as it would let us fill areas of any size with a specific depth of water.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 09:35:56 am »

Actually yes, it could be done comparatively easily.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 10:37:57 am »

Ask your self this:

Then ask yourself:

I can't think of how they would've achieved this in the Middle Ages without having a person there at all times making sure that it doesn't go too high.

Well considering how pressure physics work in Dwarf fortress, I don't think it's really that hard to do.
It does push on the realism side a bit, but then again, wooden cage traps trapping giant monsters, levers being invisibly linked to remote and enclosed devices, and elven caravan donkeys carrying cargo 20 times their weight isn't exactly realistic either.

Teamwork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 06:41:43 pm »

This would be nice.
I could see this being incredibly useful for creating dwarf cleaning pools with actively moving water.
Urist McUseless: Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody defies mandates on MY watch!
Urist McInnocent: Bite me!

*CENSORED DUE TO EXTREMELY GRATUITOUS VIOLENCE*

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 06:57:23 pm »

I can think of a better way to implement dams:

Pressure-sensitive pass-through water wheels.  They'd be like a pump, except instead of requiring power, it would generate power.  And the more pressurized the liquid, the higher amount of power it would generate.

This would make having it at the bottom of a large area of water extremely important.  Having it at the top of a lake or something would simply not do much at all.  On the other hand, blocking off a waterfall, letting it fill up, and then switching the flow towards the lone "turbine" would create tons of mechanical power.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 07:39:29 pm »

But it can be done with DF technology. Just attach a door to a pressure plate, and have it open when the water level is below 2.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 10:36:50 pm »

But it can be done with DF technology. Just attach a door to a pressure plate, and have it open when the water level is below 2.
Except this time it's just combined into one simple device for ease and convenience of use so that you can focus on your more important projects rather than trying to perfect your wiring.

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 01:02:40 am »

This is a great idea! I could totally imagine having a fort where everybody had to swim around in the lower hallways to get around (in a more efficient way than pumping out the water. pumps leave 4/7, correct).

sockless:
It can easily be done by making something like a wall from above.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

or you could just read the thread that Vattic posted, it's essentially the same thing... or completely
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 01:12:25 am »

Edosurist, if you do that, all the water will just flow out until the water levels are equal. It wouldn't work.

Just because there is unrealistic stuff in the game right now doesn't mean we should just keep adding unrealistic stuff in to the game willy nilly.

Caravans will eventually actually have wagons, which will be a lot more realistic and cage traps will be fixed one day.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 12:31:40 pm »

Ask your self this:

Then ask yourself:

Please remember that "before the middle ages" potentially represents a MUCH HIGHER level of technological advancement than "in the middle ages", covering, among many other things, everything from Archimedes to the Roman Empire. Furthermore, i don't  doubt that the proposed feat of engineering would have been beyond Archimedes.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 12:32:31 pm »

Just because there is unrealistic stuff in the game right now doesn't mean we should just keep adding unrealistic stuff in to the game willy nilly.

You are aware that Toady also plans to eventually add magic to the game, right?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 02:04:29 pm »

I think it is a good idea, could just be a new building though, maybe one that requires a floodgate and a mechanisms to be build.
Pages: [1] 2