Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Faster than a Magmaing Bullet  (Read 477 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Faster than a Magmaing Bullet
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:00:45 pm »

So, how fast IS magma, exactly?

I built a simple little magma pump stack, two hallways etc. anyways, one of my dwarves died shortly after it's completion, leading me to believe he got caught on the wrong side of the hallway at the wrong time. Upon inspecing the trail of blood, I noticed it lead to a hallway flooded with magma. I was like damn, so some go through. I look later and notice the magma was drying up, which was awesome, but when I went down the shaft to the bottom, I noticed that it had just pooled at the bottom of it, filling about 10 zlevels worth of 7/7 magma, in a 4x1 hallway. How fast is magma? How can it possibly have pumped out THAT much into this hallway in the time it took that dwarv to go 'OH GOD HOT HOT HOT.' and shut the door?
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: Faster than a Magmaing Bullet
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:06:22 pm »

If the area of the inlet (down in the magma sea) is clear and unobstructed, then magma can be pumped amazingly fast. The main limitation seems to be how fast magma can flow in from the sides to replace the 7/7 glob that your pump has sucked up.
Never pet a burning dog.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 10:10:35 pm »

Hm. Still, 7/7 in 10 levels in stupid fast, unless the dwarf didn't notice he was burning for a minute.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 12:09:28 am »

Dwarves don't notice that they're burning, they just notice when they're injured.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 02:33:46 am »

Because of dwarfs near constant exposure to alcohol has made dwarfs explosive. It only takes a tiny bit of magma, or a careless dwarf to close to an open flame to ignite them. Combine this with dwarfs second nature, to run towards there friend when there in pain and you result in a spiral o' doom.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 03:07:04 am »

Regular ole magma flowing out of a pipe or the sea moves pretty slowly.  Pumped magma, on the other hand moves incredibly fast because it's not flowing; it's teleporting.  Pumps will output magma just as quickly as they will water as long as you've got a good supply going.  Once you stop the pump and let it flow on its own you'll notice it start moving slowly again.
At last, she is done.