Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Milling Anything but Dimple Cups  (Read 3700 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Milling Anything but Dimple Cups
« on: April 20, 2011, 09:14:36 pm »

I set up a quern to get some dye made, but my dwarves seem unwilling to do this. They're trying to mill things, just not dimple cups. I set up a stockpile only for dimple cups next to the quern, but this didn't help; they still try to mill other plants.

Is there an easy way to fix this, or will I have to forbid everything mill-able but dimple cups?

Trickysticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Milling Anything but Dimple Cups
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:19:19 pm »

I'd try the forbidding part, if that doesn't work then  :-*

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 06:28:01 am »

If you've got the dimple cups and the quern next to each other then put down a burrow 'jail' just for your miller(s).  That will prevent them going to get other plants to mill from outside their burrow.  You'll also need a bag pile in their burrow as well ;)

It would be better to select which plants are millable or not from the kitchen screen, but since UI improvements are so low priority then it's unlikely to happen.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 07:34:26 am »

You need a stack of bags, and a few dyers using it up so it doesn't overflow the stockpiles. You would get a warning message in your log, about not having bags etc, but in this case you have other millable items which are not being used up, so you never get a "can't mill" warning with the details, because there's always something else they can mill. If you're never getting cancellations, try building an extra mill or two (try for a wind-power millstone - that's way more productive than querns)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 07:59:20 am by Reelyanoob »

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 11:30:59 am »

If they keep milling non-dye items, have your cook prepare some meals.  Everything that is not dye is either flour or sugar.  This will free up the bags, and make valuable meals.  Brewing will also prevent cave wheat, longland grass, and sweet pods from being milled.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 03:35:31 pm »

The problem is that I'm running a 2-dwarf fortress right now, so anything large scale is nearly impossible. Anything that would restrict the dwarves would be troublesome also, as they each do some of everything. I'll probably end up just getting rid of the dimple cups and have them live with colorless clothes; it doesn't make much of a difference, I'm sure they'll burn or drown soon anyway.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 12:51:16 pm »

Workshops will grab the closest item. This means if your sweet pod stockpile is closer to the mill than the dimple cup stockpile, the dwarfs will prefer to mill sweet pods until you run out of sweet pods.

The other option is if you don't want dimple cups at all just disable all dimple cup storage everywhere in the fortress. Do not farm any either. Just let all dimple cups rot away.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 01:04:55 pm »

Workshops will grab the closest item. This means if your sweet pod stockpile is closer to the mill than the dimple cup stockpile, the dwarfs will prefer to mill sweet pods until you run out of sweet pods.

The other option is if you don't want dimple cups at all just disable all dimple cup storage everywhere in the fortress. Do not farm any either. Just let all dimple cups rot away.

Yay for miasma?
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 01:13:59 pm »

Yay for miasma?
Plants don't make miasma. They just wilt, as far as I've seen.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 01:25:39 pm »

Plants just wilt and then vanish. They don't make miasma.