Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Defence  (Read 2622 times)

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Defence
« on: April 20, 2011, 08:01:43 pm »

In my current fort I have a an upside down and flipped L for my entrance along with an open area on the right side for refuse and a murky pool right by. I was wondering what I should do to make a killing room/trap for my defense. Any suggestion would be appreciated
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile
Re: Defence
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 08:18:07 pm »

Cage Traps!
But managing the caged unfortunates afterwards and actually maintaining the traps is a bit advanced.

I recommend war dogs tethered by rope or a long corridor of stone-fall traps.
Stone-fall traps use primarily stone in both their mechanism and stone-ammunition.
They are pretty weak, but very very simple to construct. Simply build a long line of stone-fall traps and you should be set.

Another easy method is doors. Unless the enemy has the [BUILDING DESTROYER] tag on them, hostiles will not be able to pass doors when the doors are set to Forbid Passage (though this will prevent your dwarves too). Good for stopping early goblin ambush attacks.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:25:34 pm »

Okay, thanks. I am currently building cage traps, but I'll probably put stone fall traps in and tie some war dogs up like you suggested. I might make a chamber to flood them later but for now that will be good to stop any early attacks.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:30:27 pm »

Dodge-Em Traps are the latest fashion in Dwarven Self-Defense.

Dig a really big pit in the ground... like... REALLY BIG. Try seven tiles wide by nine tiles long by fifteen-or-twenty levels deep. Use a strip of constructed floors (do NOT use a drawbridge) to make a one-tile-wide path across the pit. Put a wall all around the top of  it except for a one-tile-wide entry and a one-tile-wide exit. Wall it off so that anyone entering or leaving the fort must cross that narrow path over the wide and deep pit.

Now totally cover the path with weapon traps, each containing 10 weapons or trap components (Big Spikey Balls, Sharp Slicey things, whatever). It doesn't really matter what sort of weapons you use... even wooden training weapons will do, although deadly weapons are more Dwarfish.

The idea is to use your opponent's own strength against them... like in Judo.

An opponent starts to cross the path. He steps on the first weapon trap. Each weapon in the trap gets three attacks, and there are ten of them in the trap. That's thirty attacks. Per trap... you've likely got seven-to-nine traps on that path. In order to safely cross the path, your opponent needs to get lucky about two hundred and forty times in a row. You only need to get lucky once.

When a unit is attacked, they often dodge one-to-three tiles in a random direction. That will carry your opponent off the path, and out over the fifteen-to-twenty level deep pit. The wall around the pit will make sure that he has no safe place to dodge to... he ends up falling into the pit. A fifteen-to-twenty level fall will usually disassemble your opponents into their component organs.

Note that high-level opponents (Goblin Hammerlords, etc) have better dodging skills, and will dodge (and therefore die) more often.

Include a lever-controlled raising Drawbridge at entrance and exit, so that you can isolate the trap for necessary maintenance (prying corpses out of jammed weapon traps, etc), and another lever-controlled raising Drawbridge at the very bottom of the pit, so that you can send in the Haulers to cart off the splashed innards and the dropped weapons and armor. I also include lever-controlled retracting Drawbridges to cover the pit and turn the whole thing into a safe, walkable surface... in case my Army needs to fight an engagement there (I don't want them falling into my own pit trap).
Never pet a burning dog.

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:33:15 pm »

Dodge-Em Traps are the latest fashion in Dwarven Self-Defense.

Dig a really big pit in the ground... like... REALLY BIG. Try seven tiles wide by nine tiles long by fifteen-or-twenty levels deep. Use a strip of constructed floors (do NOT use a drawbridge) to make a one-tile-wide path across the pit. Put a wall all around the top of  it except for a one-tile-wide entry and a one-tile-wide exit. Wall it off so that anyone entering or leaving the fort must cross that narrow path over the wide and deep pit.

Now totally cover the path with weapon traps, each containing 10 weapons or trap components (Big Spikey Balls, Sharp Slicey things, whatever). It doesn't really matter what sort of weapons you use... even wooden training weapons will do, although deadly weapons are more Dwarfish.

The idea is to use your opponent's own strength against them... like in Judo.

An opponent starts to cross the path. He steps on the first weapon trap. Each weapon in the trap gets three attacks, and there are ten of them in the trap. That's thirty attacks. Per trap... you've likely got seven-to-nine traps on that path. In order to safely cross the path, your opponent needs to get lucky about two hundred and forty times in a row. You only need to get lucky once.

When a unit is attacked, they often dodge one-to-three tiles in a random direction. That will carry your opponent off the path, and out over the fifteen-to-twenty level deep pit. The wall around the pit will make sure that he has no safe place to dodge to... he ends up falling into the pit. A fifteen-to-twenty level fall will usually disassemble your opponents into their component organs.

Note that high-level opponents (Goblin Hammerlords, etc) have better dodging skills, and will dodge (and therefore die) more often.

Include a lever-controlled raising Drawbridge at entrance and exit, so that you can isolate the trap for necessary maintenance (prying corpses out of jammed weapon traps, etc), and another lever-controlled raising Drawbridge at the very bottom of the pit, so that you can send in the Haulers to cart off the splashed innards and the dropped weapons and armor. I also include lever-controlled retracting Drawbridges to cover the pit and turn the whole thing into a safe, walkable surface... in case my Army needs to fight an engagement there (I don't want them falling into my own pit trap).

Approve! Approve!

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 08:39:31 pm »

This is going to sound incredibly stupid, but how do you dig out an entire floor? Sorry but I just downloaded the game a few days ago, and I misunderstood my friend with how to go up and down, until today... So I thought I was going up when I was going down.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 08:46:28 pm »

This is going to sound incredibly stupid, but how do you dig out an entire floor? Sorry but I just downloaded the game a few days ago, and I misunderstood my friend with how to go up and down, until today... So I thought I was going up when I was going down.
Use the c(h)annel designation, just like the mining designation. This causes your miners to remove the wall on the z-level designated (if still present), the floor on that z-level, and, if the wall on the z-level below was still present, turns it into a ramp. Be careful to only do this one z-level at a time, else you'll likely have squares that don't get dug out, caveins, injured dwarves, or some combination of those things.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 08:52:56 pm »

Okay, I know what I'm doing over Easter Weekend SPRING BREAK.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:53:38 pm »

Yes, channel out one level at a time. Make SURE that your trap is positioned over undisturbed rock or soil (all the way down)... channeling down into a level that's already dug out can cause cave-ins, unless you do it very carefully.
Never pet a burning dog.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 09:03:30 pm »

My mechanic just entered a strange mood... but I think I have the stuff he needs already, otherwise its bye-bye Urist McSecret

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 09:07:42 pm »

He created a "Mechanic has created Igestrinal (dot things) a dolomite mechanism!" Don't know what that is but if he's legendary I'm okay with it.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 09:09:10 pm »

If he claims a workshop, runs around grabbing stuff, and then announces "Urist McSecret has begun a strange construction!", then you have everything he needs. Just make sure that nothing interrupts him (like a Kobold Thief, or a flood of accidentally-released Magma).

If he sits in the Workshop without doing anything, then he's missing some ingredient.

If he sits in the meeting area or his bedroom without doing anything, then you haven't built the workshop that he requires.
Never pet a burning dog.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 09:10:39 pm »

He created a "Mechanic has created Igestrinal (dot things) a dolomite mechanism!" Don't know what that is but if he's legendary I'm okay with it.

A Legendary Mechanic is very useful... weapon traps get better to-Hit rolls from high-quality mechanisms. Plus, he works faster.

Save that Mechanism for your deadliest trap.
Never pet a burning dog.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 09:17:39 pm »

Another quick question, how do you get rid of a ghost, a swordsdwarf from the first caravan died somehow or other and now he's haunting my place. He hasn't killed anyone but i don't understand what you do get rid of him. Oh, and his body is in the middle of a lake, so i don't think I can bury him.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 09:20:37 pm »

Also, an elven caravan arrived. Should I kill them, seize the thing or whatever, or just trade with them?
Pages: [1] 2 3