Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seven ambushers  (Read 737 times)

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seven ambushers
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:00:13 pm »

I realize most people have known about this for quite awhile now, but I thought I'd try it out recently.  You need to be willing to have your seven dwarves' other skills start lower than proficient, or at least lower than their ambusher skill, but it's possible to start with 7 sets of leather armor, 7 crossbows, 7 quivers, and 7 bundles of bolts, which seems a bit 'exploity' to me, but a nice way to give a quick boost to a starting military.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Seven ambushers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 07:03:02 pm »

I normally make my two "miners" as 1 point ambushers upon embark; mining trains quickly enough, and soil gets dug in no time regardless of skill. While the free crossbows are nice, I think it's even nicer to have the doctors to keep them alive and the smiths to keep the bolts and better armor flowing.

So in my mind, the 7 ambusher approach is a fair trade.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Trickysticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 07:05:43 pm »

Doesn't ambushing = hunting? If so, then they can't hunt goblins. Well, they can, but you can't butcher their scaly meat :(

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 07:07:54 pm »

It's not really much of an exploit if you have to sacrifice valuable supplies for it. With low skills, the dwarves can't use their equipment that well anyway. I can see the usefulness of this in very dangerous biomes, though.

freeze

• Bay Watcher
  • nominal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 12:59:45 am »

Big proponent of the no skills/no items start here. It's not all that hard once you make the adjustment, and, I've recently started giving myself 5 point doctors, weapon and armor smiths. Feels like cheating ;)