Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newb Question - Training Archers  (Read 1087 times)

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newb Question - Training Archers
« on: April 20, 2011, 06:23:13 pm »

I've been able to figure out how most basic things work, but I have not figured out how to consistently train my crossbowmen.

I can get a melee squad (of 3) together and training (2 minimum) without any problems.

However, I can't consistently get more than one archer to train at a time.  I get a lot of Soldier (cannot follow order).

I have plenty of bolts.
My crossbowmen have crossbows and there are also some spares.
Everyone has a quiver.
No one is holding anything in their off-hand that they shouldn't be.
At this stage, all of them are assigned to use bone bolts in both combat and training.
I've tried several variations on assigning archery ranges (one archery range with 3 targets for everyone in a squad, or even dividing them into squads of 1 each and giving each one their own archery range), or 3 separate archery ranges for a single squad of 3.

Sometimes I can get lucky and get 2 training at a time (at separate ranges), but not often.  Often I end up with nobody training, or only 1 dwarf training.

Does anyone know how I can make this work?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
Re: Newb Question - Training Archers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 06:25:36 pm »

Are the ranges rooms overlapping? If so, don't do that. Is there enough bolts made for all of them, or is there enough bolts assigned in the ammunition screen?
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:29:12 pm »

Are the ranges rooms overlapping? If so, don't do that. Is there enough bolts made for all of them, or is there enough bolts assigned in the ammunition screen?

The assigned ranges don't overlap.  There is a room full of bolts as well as new bolts being continuously made in workshops.  The ammunition screen says that 250 bolts are assigned.
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing Since 2006, One Fortress At A Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 07:13:21 pm »

Have they been assigned to EACH archery range? Set to TRAIN [t] specifically.

Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE that the DIRECTION of each range is right? Sometimes I mix up Down-to-Up with Up-to-Down for example.

Is your SQUAD SCHEDULE set to TRAIN? With sufficient minimum dwarves for each scheduled order too.

Have you assigned them a barracks? I'm not sure on this one but sometimes my marksdwarves will not train without an assigned sleepy-room.

Also, just for completion, try to toggle their Barracks to Train in addition to the Archery Range settings and check if they shoot at the Archery Range. If not, try to toggle them to Train only at the Archery Range. Hey, worth a try.

Also keep in mind that dwarf bolters [and melee dwarves too!] train at their own leisure, though normally they should train more than they rest.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 07:45:00 pm »

Have they been assigned to EACH archery range? Set to TRAIN [t] specifically.

Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE that the DIRECTION of each range is right? Sometimes I mix up Down-to-Up with Up-to-Down for example.

Is your SQUAD SCHEDULE set to TRAIN? With sufficient minimum dwarves for each scheduled order too.

Have you assigned them a barracks? I'm not sure on this one but sometimes my marksdwarves will not train without an assigned sleepy-room.

Also, just for completion, try to toggle their Barracks to Train in addition to the Archery Range settings and check if they shoot at the Archery Range. If not, try to toggle them to Train only at the Archery Range. Hey, worth a try.

Also keep in mind that dwarf bolters [and melee dwarves too!] train at their own leisure, though normally they should train more than they rest.

Direction in each range is correct.  Orders are set to Train, 2 minimum (out of a squad of 3).

I didn't have a separate barracks assigned for them.  Just archery ranges.

Created barracks, put beds in barracks, set them to Sleep and Train in the barracks.  (They are already set to Train in each of the three Archery Ranges as well.)  Now I finally have two archers shooting at archery targets!  Thanks for your help with this.

One more question:  Say that you have one Archery Range containing 3 archery targets.  Can you ever get two or more archers using that archery range at the same time, or will they always look for a separate archery range regardless of the number of archery targets in a single range?  (My archers always seem to look for a separate archery range.)

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 07:51:29 pm »

Created barracks, put beds in barracks, set them to Sleep and Train in the barracks.  (They are already set to Train in each of the three Archery Ranges as well.)  Now I finally have two archers shooting at archery targets!  Thanks for your help with this.

One more question:  Say that you have one Archery Range containing 3 archery targets.  Can you ever get two or more archers using that archery range at the same time, or will they always look for a separate archery range regardless of the number of archery targets in a single range?  (My archers always seem to look for a separate archery range.)

Yw! I'm a genius!

Anyways, Archery Range rooms encompass only the single archery target from which they are designated from. There will be problems when your multiple Archery Range designations overlap so it is a good idea to build a line of walls between individual targets so as to allow an actual "corridor" for each Archery Range designation. In other words, you MUST designate a separate archery range for each target and assign it to the squad in order to achieve multiple-range use. Unlike other Rooms, Archery Ranges do not absorb other archery range buildings that are not the origin building.

Also, was it the Train or Sleep in the barracks that allowed your markdwarves to shoot?

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 08:01:18 pm »

Also, was it the Train or Sleep in the barracks that allowed your markdwarves to shoot?

Activating Sleep but not Train did not fix the issue.

Activating both Sleep and Train did, however.

Just deactivated Sleep at the barracks... and my archers are still training correctly.  Must be Train at the Barracks that does it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:06:10 pm by MenacesWithSpikes »

ThirdSpartacus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 08:14:07 pm »

Activating Sleep but not Train did not fix the issue.

Activating both Sleep and Train did, however.

Just deactivated Sleep at the barracks... and my archers are still training correctly.  Must be Train at the Barracks that does it.

Alright thanks, I will make sure to be gratified by this new information for atleast an hour and then completely forget it after that.
 :D

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 02:40:43 am »

While I was able to finally set training for archers I don't bother with it anymore. One shot uses one bolt, but it gives 6 XP when shot at a target, and 30 XP when shot at a gobbo. If there is a trench before targets then bolts don't get wasted, but many of bolts shot at gobbos can be retrieved too. Hence I just build execution rooms. Otherwise my craftsdwarves wouldn't be able to supply bolts fast enough for more than 1-2 marksdwarves to allow them for any meaningful training. Now I don't need so many bolts and so much time. It's also easier to organize mass extrajudical executions than to resocialize evil humanoids driven to cruelty.