Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ceramic/Rock nuts  (Read 957 times)

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ceramic/Rock nuts
« on: April 20, 2011, 03:44:06 pm »

Good day!
I have two questions about this great, but difficult game :).
First is how to make ceramics? I have magma kiln and normal kiln too, but all I have in their menu is Collect clay and Make plaster powder and Make pearlash. I have plenty of Clay, workers with Pottery labor, even some kaolinite.

My second grievance is with Rock nuts. My farmer just wont take them from bags and plant them as quarry bushes. I get spammed with Urist McFarmer cancels planting: No rock nuts seeds (or somesuch), but I have plenty of them! Don't really know what could do it.

Thanks for all replies!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 09:10:51 am by aenri »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Ceramic/Rock nuts
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:06:52 pm »

Do you have charcoal for the pottery issue?

Wait nevermind, magma kiln hurf

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 05:14:12 pm »

Has clay actually been collected and turned into units of clay material (it's not just on the floor)? Is the clay accessible from the kiln (no locked doors, severed stairways, raised drawbridges, burrow restrictions)? Is the clay forbidden or marked for dumping? Do you have fuel available (coke or charcoal for the traditional kiln, or magma in place beneath the magma kiln)?

Is your game currently in a season during which quarry bushes can be planted? Are your seeds forbidden or inaccessible? Are you sure you have rock nuts available (you might have already planted all of them and not yet processed the previous crop of bushes to recover the seeds)?

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 05:23:56 pm »

Have you designated a clay collection zone, using the 'i' menu?
Never pet a burning dog.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 01:04:00 am »

For information I'm using newest LNP (9.1), with unmodded 0.31.25 DF (but with invasions, economy, aquifier, exotic animals, turned off from main LNP menu). I'm still new to game :).

Has clay actually been collected and turned into units of clay material (it's not just on the floor)? Is the clay accessible from the kiln (no locked doors, severed stairways, raised drawbridges, burrow restrictions)? Is the clay forbidden or marked for dumping? Do you have fuel available (coke or charcoal for the traditional kiln, or magma in place beneath the magma kiln)?

If by first thing you mean if I have silty clay in my stocks screen under stone, then yes (but that clay is on the floor, too :)). Yes, no doors or obstacles (I have glass furnace working very near). No the clay is not dumped nor forbidden. Magma kiln is red with 7/7 burning magma underneath it.

But I don't think I articulated the problem right - when I use 'a' Add new task at Magma Kiln, I have only 3 options - Collect clay (which works for me), Make plaster powder, Make pearlash. And that's it. I want to know if it is normal, and what keystrokes or what is the recipe for making something out of it. How to queue the job: Make clay jug or whatever is it called.

Is your game currently in a season during which quarry bushes can be planted? Are your seeds forbidden or inaccessible? Are you sure you have rock nuts available (you might have already planted all of them and not yet processed the previous crop of bushes to recover the seeds)?

Yes the game shows the right season for quarry bushes, I have them designated in Farm Plot for this season. The only thing weird is, that everything is called xxx seeds when rock nuts are just rock nuts. I haven't been able to get even one crop. I have two bags full of rock nuts, that I've bought off passing caravan.
I get spammed with Urist McFarmer cancels Plant Seed: Need rock nuts x18, when there clearly are some in the barrels and bags (not forbidden and not dumped)! They happily take other seeds (sweet pods, plumps, etc.).

Have you designated a clay collection zone, using the 'i' menu?

Yep, clay collection works. The only thing is that I don't know what to do with collected clay, how to turn it into jug or craft.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 01:18:12 am »

... I have silty clay in my stocks screen under stone ...

Are you sure it's not Silty Clay Loam? That soil type is not usable for Pottery or Ceramics.
Never pet a burning dog.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 01:34:16 am »

all I have in their menu is Collect clay and Make plaster powder and Make pearlash. I have plenty of Clay, workers with Pottery labor, even some kaolinite.
Wait, something sounds wrong there. The latest version should list all jobs available - in red when there are no mats to do the job.

As for your rock nuts, I assume you haven't messed with burrows which might lock your farmers out of the seed locations?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 01:52:32 am »

Wait, something sounds wrong there. The latest version should list all jobs available - in red when there are no mats to do the job.

As for your rock nuts, I assume you haven't messed with burrows which might lock your farmers out of the seed locations?

So, I will download the latest version again, as you confirmed that something else should be there. Nope, no burrows, but probably it also had something to do with my 'corrupted' version.

Are you sure it's not Silty Clay Loam? That soil type is not usable for Pottery or Ceramics.

Nope, it was lying on the floor as stone. But now I know this wasn't standard fare, so I'm reinstalling DF.

Thanks to all who answered!