Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to make humans carry better stuff?  (Read 299 times)

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
Any way to make humans carry better stuff?
« on: April 20, 2011, 03:38:27 pm »

Currently they carry bronze, and only bronze. Or was it copper? I don't know, whatever it is, it sucks. Is there any way to get them to carry better things?

Maybe via modding? I'm not certain of the flexability of changing the game.

EDIT: By carry, I meant sell. Things like iron, and steel.

EDIT EDIT: And I mean so that I can buy in adventure mode.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to make humans carry better stuff?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:48:35 pm »

Modding can do heaps. You need a world regen. Many changes will work though if a save itself has the raws modded (each save game propagates it's own copy of the raws as they were when that world was create), the changes I outline are NOT of these type - so new world only.

The civ definitions are in the entity_default.txt file . There's a list of the stuff they carry. Keep a backup vanilla file, but you can delete lines for e.g. toys / instrucments from the human trade goods. Which would get you more % of all other types of stuff they bring. You could also ban their reaction for bronze i think, which would make other metals more common.

open DF\raw\objects\entity_default.txt, search for "human", then page down, here's the type of tag you'd remove to stop humans creating/trading a type of thing :-

[TOY:ITEM_TOY_PUZZLEBOX]
[TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_KNIFE_CARVING]

Removing too many of these types of things could have some sort of adverse affect, but I've removed all useless-seeming tools, toys and instruments without any seeming problems.

For the bronze reactions, try removing the lines :-

[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_MAKING]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:BRONZE_MAKING2]

One uses bars and the other uses ores. You could maybe add these reactions to humans if you like, they don't seem to have them :-

[PERMITTED_REACTION:BISMUTH_BRONZE_MAKING]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:PIG_IRON_MAKING]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:STEEL_MAKING]

I've had the odd crash or wierd stuff from playing too much with the Dwarf civ entity though, so there's limits in what works (can't tell you the EXACT limit though, so play around)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:07:19 pm by Reelyanoob »

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:06:49 pm »

The way Dorf Fort is set up, everything's procedural, so almost nothing will have just one effect, so giving humans iron will mean they'll sell it, use it, wear it, everything. What you need for humans to have iron to do with as they wish are the following permissions added to their entity entry:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Humans are [ENTITY:PLAINS]. Bear in mind, the computer is just as hard up for metals as we are right now, so it is perfectly possible that a human civ or two might have no metal ores or flux, but you can mitigate this expanding the number of sites available and civs used in the world gen parameters, as well as setting mineral abundance way up. It's really only an issue if you play smaller, less lively worlds.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:10:40 pm »

Hold on - I believe there's a bug/feature where civs get any material they have a reaction for - giving them the STEEL reaction will give them loads of steel, even if they have no iron, probably even if they don't have the PIG_IRON reaction.

So give them nothing but the STEEL reaction and you should get mostly steel stuff, plus whatever they have in "native" metals, which is world-specific and not set in the entity_default.txt.

Funny enough, you should also be able to create a custom "make iron" reaction which takes an iron bar and makes another iron bar. Given the civ reaction "glitch" this could be permitted for civs and become an inifinite source of iron for civs lacking iron. But this is just speculative as this would cut into the amount of steel they bring.

The completion of Toady's Caravan Arc might change this, but that's a ways off.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:25:51 pm by Reelyanoob »