Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: The Touhou thread.  (Read 25054 times)

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
The Touhou thread.
« on: April 20, 2011, 03:02:56 pm »

Speak about Touhou here, whether that be the games, music, comics, etc.

1: NO shitposting, so no 'lolz this game is awesome'. Explain why, and offer your viewpoints to make a intelligent discussion.
2: Don't be a jerk.
3: Keep forum rules in mind.
4: Feel free to post links.
5: Do not give away the endings, as it is a frowned upon thing to do. 
Spoiler: What is touhou? (click to show/hide)
Well. Lets discuss. And I will start.

So, music, what would be your favorite and why? Mine would be 'Deaf to all but the song.' It has a good arrangement of notes, and its incredibly catchy. For a stage 2 boss.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:34:45 am by Ochita »
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: The Touhou thread.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 03:08:09 pm »

Music wise, Orin and Hina's themes are some of my favorites. Though I also like Ran and Yukari's PCB themes for some reason despite those being kinda unpopular.

Kinda random, but I wish Momjij would get a theme. If Tewi could why not her right?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 03:08:47 pm »

It would be hard for me to pick a single favorite Touhou song but I really dig all the classical guitar arrangements of songs you can find on youtube. This arrangement of UN Owen was her? for duo guitar is particularly impressive because the arranger is one of the better ones on youtube and he couldn't arrange it solo. It is indeed a better interpretation of the song than any of the few solo arrangements I've heard.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 03:12:35 pm »

I've heard of this "Touhou" thing many times. Could anyone suggest a starting point so I can actually make heads or tales of all this stuff about kaleidoscopes, cherry blossoms and spell cards?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 03:14:10 pm »

Mine would probably be either U.N. Owen was Her? or Shanghai Teahouse-Chinese Tea. Fairly upbeat songs, nice tunes, and given that I've not played the games yet, kinda intriguing. I really want to know what's happening when they're playing.

'Course, that kinda applies to other songs too, but those two are my favourites.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 03:14:37 pm »

Wow yeah, Hina's theme is good.  I like Flandre's theme a lot too.

EDIT:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 03:16:37 pm by ToonyMan »

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 03:20:25 pm »

I've heard of this "Touhou" thing many times. Could anyone suggest a starting point so I can actually make heads or tales of all this stuff about kaleidoscopes, cherry blossoms and spell cards?
If you want a starting point on touhou games, then I suggest Touhou 8, Imperishable night. Its simple enough, while still showing the core mechanics of Touhou.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 03:23:01 pm by Ochita »
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 03:21:55 pm »

Its 8 man. Iosys made a similar mistake though.

And since somebody will post it sooner or later anyway: Mima-sama will be the final boss of touhou 13!!!

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 03:27:09 pm »

It's hard to pick a favorite, depends on the mood really. Tracks like Capital City of Flowers in the Sky and Fires of Hokkai are neat in-game because of how they're intended to match the pacing of the stage.

Outside of the games, Old World or Plain Asia is probably my favorite to listen to.

If you want a starting point on touhou games, then I suggest Touhou 8, Imperishable night. Its simple enough, while still showing the core mechanics of Touhou.
I think PCB might be a bit better because it's a lot more straightforward in many ways, and the Border Team tends to mess with people in other games because of their deathbomb window.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 03:29:53 pm »

Real men start with UFO anyway :V

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 03:30:55 pm »

Hm. I think the first touhou song that I really liked was Voile, the magic library. Due to me starting off with Embodiment of scarlet devil..

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 03:58:50 pm »

I like the music, but don't really have a favorite right now.
Also, might as well add this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/CrowningMusic/TouhouProject
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 04:01:31 pm »

So I finally broke down and downloading one of the games (Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, because I'm a slave to doing things in chronological order), and I guess I have to ask if there's any advise for someone who doesn't play bullet hells much.

And my favorite song is Beloved Tomboyish Daughter, followed by U.N. Owen was her?. That might change if I heard more songs.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 04:03:47 pm »

I'd skip to the one after, these games are much easier (in my opinion) when you can see your hitbox.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 04:09:02 pm »

Oh hey I just 1CC'd MoF for the first time :D

Next I'll have to try it on normal mode.

And without exploiting gamebreaking bugs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16