Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cinnabar (33f)  (Read 1584 times)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Cinnabar (33f)
« on: December 17, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »

This may or may not be a bug - I seached this forum for it, but didn't get anything.

Cinnabar.  Its in veins like ore.  Its rough icon is ore.  Its mined version is ore.  Yet it gets piled in a stone (non metal/economic) stockpile and used in workshops as stone.

I'm assuming its supposed to be 'ore of mercury' or somesuch, but its not shown as having any use in its 'k' screen.

***On another note of useless items, my Armorer just went fey and made a copper shoe...

***Edit: after reading some more on Cinnabar, it appears it can also be a dye, and the mercury part of it seems it might be an alchemy workshop item...

[ December 17, 2007: Message edited by: Dwarfu ]

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cinnabar (33f)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »

Dwarves seem to go insane enough without mercury poisoning.  
In my current fortress I found some cinnabar, and some cobaltite too.  I just made a lot of really colorful furniture.  
It might be a bug, but I'm assuming the dwarves have no use for/don't have the tech to smelt some things.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 05:27:00 pm »

Yeah, what if you found a uranium vein? The dwarves wouldn't know what to do, they'd just stand and vomit next to it.

hapes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 08:55:00 pm »

I found some cinnibar too, and my reaction was the same as yours:

It looks like an ore, but can't be made into anything.  Very odd

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 09:14:00 pm »

no vomiting, unless uranium gives off sunlight of course.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 09:35:00 pm »

So it's just rock with a misguiding icon?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 09:40:00 pm »

On the other hand, do you really want dwarves smelting out mercury, and having them make +mercury armor+?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 10:57:00 pm »

Also, did you know that bauxite is, in real life, an aluminum ore? (I imagine the melting point is so high in DF because dwarves aren't supposed to be able to smelt it)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 01:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord:
<STRONG>Also, did you know that bauxite is, in real life, an aluminum ore? (I imagine the melting point is so high in DF because dwarves aren't supposed to be able to smelt it)</STRONG>

There is at least one thread on that subject (that Dwarves should be able to smelt bauxite).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 03:22:00 am »

The reason Bauxite cannot be smelted into aluminum, is because the heat required to smelt it properly is higher than magma.  The Toady One probably just figured that until something hotter than magma comes around, he'd leave bauxite as a rock.

You can find that info inside the raws, by the way.  And yes, there is at least one other thread dedicated to bauxite and its preparation.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 03:41:00 am »

A thread by me, no less. It turned out that even my proposed machinations used to make bauxite into aluminum go out of technological bounds of the dwarves at one point, so until magic and alchemy appears, bauxite will remain a rock. I'd imagine it's less of a hussle with mercury, but seeing as it melts well below room temperature (it's not called quicksilver for no reason), you'd hardly be able to make anything useful out of it. In fact, you'd be quite surprised to see you mercury walls melt out in a glacier winter, because it melts before ice does.

Mercury poisoning is currently impossible in the game, but once arbitrary material contaminants make it into the code, there will be a lot more problems with it than just melting furniture.

[ December 18, 2007: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 12:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DDouble:
<STRONG>Yeah, what if you found a uranium vein? The dwarves wouldn't know what to do, they'd just stand and vomit next to it.</STRONG>

There's already pitchblende. You can't refine it.

Otherwise we'd have what has already been the punchline many many times:
"Urist Boomboom, Metalcrafter, has made Stoutdwarf, an enriched uranium spiked ball!"
"A dwarf has been vaporized. [x200]"
"Your mountain fortress has turned into a level !!XXglowing glass parking lotXX!!."

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 02:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>Otherwise we'd have what has already been the punchline many many times:
"Urist Boomboom, Metalcrafter, has made Stoutdwarf, an enriched uranium spiked ball!"
"A dwarf has been vaporized. [x200]"
"Your mountain fortress has turned into a level !!XXglowing glass parking lotXX!!."</STRONG>

Although to be honest, itd have to be a 14 pound ball (the minimum required for an explosion), and even that's stable when you smash it against things (though it'll get really hot and melt through them).  It has to be compressed a lot before it undergoes a sustained nuclear reaction (a bare sphere of U-235 at 52kb needs to be 17 cm in diameter before reaching critical mass).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_mass

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 04:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>until magic and alchemy appears, bauxite will remain a rock.[ December 18, 2007: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]</STRONG>

Tame dragons.
:D

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 06:10:00 pm »

Yeah, you can take a dragon to bauxite, but you can't make him breathe on it.  :)

Or just stuff it down his throat and see if aluminum comes out of the other end.   :roll:

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: [1] 2