Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Longest you've gone without a casualty.  (Read 1524 times)

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
Longest you've gone without a casualty.
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:46:12 pm »

Like the title says, how long has the longest you've gone in a fortress without losing a single dwarf?

Also, on the opposite end, how short was the quickest you've ever lost a dwarf?

Longest-

Went five years without a single casualty.

Nothing could reach my fortress, thanks to a 2 tile deep and wide moat, and everything was built above ground, so no cave critters to worry about.
(Got VERY lucky with strange mood needs.) Eventually, a goblin siege came and one of their elite warriors flew over our walls on something. I think it was a giant bat, can't remember. Needless to say, we went from no deaths, to quite a few.

Shortest I've gone was embarking on the border to a haunted biome, and having a werewolf slaughter two guys within the first few seconds.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:47:48 pm by DoctorMonch »
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Longest you've gone without a casualty.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:11:45 pm »

Longest: A season. Then some guy jumped into a pool and drowned...
Shortest: A couple seconds after embark, when a bunch of badgers ripped through my guys.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 01:12:31 pm »

Longest: A season. Then some guy jumped into a pool and drowned...
Shortest: A couple seconds after embark, when a bunch of badgers ripped through my guys.

Gotta love them badgers.

Getting enraged when they see any moving object.
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 01:28:14 pm »

Back in 40d, /i think I went about a decade without anyone dying.

I miss 40d military.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 01:45:51 pm »

Nearly 30 minutes since our last 'Argh!!'. Nearly 3 seconds since our last casualty.

Sortest? 30 seconds after embark and a miner froze in the ice behind the wall we were going to dig into.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 02:22:44 pm »

I had an embark in 40d where I embarked next to a river full of carp, who proceeded to frighten my dwarves into the water and devour them.

The longest I've gone without a casualty was my second fort, where I knew exactly how to prevent my dwarves from dying of starvation and failed moods and went on for ~5-6 years. Then I got bored and tried to make a tower of water and everybody drowned when the whole map vanished under a hundred feet of water.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 02:27:11 pm »

I don't normally keep track of length but my last fort lasted four years before one died of being unable to complete a mood project (a bug, IMO, I had all the components, wouldn't build.. Bah..).

The fastest, or among them, would be when we embarked right in front of a couple of werewolves, we were thrashed before we knew what was going on.

-MB

Xorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 02:35:22 pm »

Longest lasting time was 3 years. Then someone thought it would be a FUN idea to stand next a badger. Urist McMason was honored to be the first person in the fortress in a coffin... That he made.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 02:58:07 pm »

Been about 5 years, then there was an incident involving casting ice because I was getting too aggressive in trying to speed up ice casting and got careless.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 03:08:46 pm »

Longest: 60 years. Had a fort in 40d that had such well designed bunkers that anything that came within 100 yards of my fort was riddled with bolts in under 10 seconds.

Shortest: about 5 seconds. Embarked right next to a small cave with a cyclops in it. Guess what happened next.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 03:11:11 pm »

Longest: 7 years. Some guy locked himself in the moat.
Shortest: Embarked at a haunted place. Skeletal horses took us down in seconds.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 04:25:50 pm »

Longest was five years. Went from 120ish dwarves to zero in a single season through a combination of a Bronze Colossus and a pair of FBs that had apparently been hiding in the caverns.

Shortest was probably that time I didn't realize my dwarves had parked on top of a frozen river until it thawed an in-game day later.
くコ:彡

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 10:32:56 am »

My quickest deaths are always mining accidents a few minutes in.

Longest? I dunno.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 11:26:37 am »

Longest ever would be a few decades, with heavily bedding myself in (still technically allowing goblins to come in but they had no chance of getting through my trap corridor) and getting lucky with moods.

Longest in late 40d days was rarely much more than a year. Anyone who migrated in with a pet cat, or sometimes even just anyone who simply had a preference for cats, would be summarily killed in what people would now call a 'danger room', but what at the time I (due to its purpose) tended to call a 'migration office' :P

Shortest is easily a few seconds, and not much longer before the other six followed suit. Embarked all of about five tiles away from a magma pipe. A magma man and some fire imps were very quick to show that my dwarves weren't welcome :(
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 11:30:23 am »

Longest? Two full years, and then i opened the cavern and accidently allowed three forgotten beasts to come in.
Shortest? I tried to reclaim the previous fort. Didn't work out.
Pages: [1] 2