Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I Am Jealous  (Read 1676 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I Am Jealous
« on: April 20, 2011, 08:56:55 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110419/ap_on_re_us/us_capes_for_the_unemployed

I really am jealous of these people's capes. But overall this really highlights terrible government spending and the anger people like me have with it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:00:33 am by Urist is dead tome »

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I Am Jealous
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:41:03 am »

Why are people flipping out about $14,000? You guys paid billions of dollars to bail out banks that just went straight back to making the same mistakes with no chance of them paying back ever.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:42:12 am »

How dare they give people nice, warm ca- OH GOD! I WANT A CAPE, NOW!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 09:42:29 am »

Paru~

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:45:46 am »

I am not amused...
My personality profile.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 09:57:36 am »

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 10:01:05 am »

Shit, let's be superheroes.

To be honest, it was an idea to build people's confidence and get them working. Do we have any figures on how many of our caped crusaders have jobs/are likely to get jobs now? I'd suggest finding them before blasting it. It's a weird idea, but in the grand scheme of things, it's no money whatsoever.

I really wish jobcenters in the UK did this, I'd consider coming off disability benefit to get one.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 10:37:46 am »

Why are people flipping out about $14,000? You guys paid billions of dollars to bail out banks that just went straight back to making the same mistakes with no chance of them paying back ever.

This was overall a bad idea but you're right, we should have never bailed out the banks.

How dare they give people nice, warm ca- OH GOD! I WANT A CAPE, NOW!

I need a cape, especially in this unseasonably cold and super villain infested climate.

Shit, let's be superheroes.

To be honest, it was an idea to build people's confidence and get them working. Do we have any figures on how many of our caped crusaders have jobs/are likely to get jobs now? I'd suggest finding them before blasting it. It's a weird idea, but in the grand scheme of things, it's no money whatsoever.

I really wish jobcenters in the UK did this, I'd consider coming off disability benefit to get one.

In this economy people are indeed going to need confidence to get a job.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 10:54:11 am »

This is the best thing I've heard all week. Sometimes the government gets it right.
Yeah yeah yeah!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 11:14:33 am »

Uh...let's see, 6000 capes at a cost of $14,000. That works out to $2.33 per cape.

Something tells me they didn't splurge on the velvet trim. Seriously, I want to see one of these "capes", since they're cheaper than the shit you get as convention swag.

It's a dumb idea, because really...who is going to wear one of these in public? Or God forbid, to a job interview? Are they even big enough to wear?

But at the same time, the cost is on par with notepads, fridge magnets, and various other things that nobody would have batted an eyelash at. The only reason this is even a story is because it's something peculiar.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 11:19:27 am »

Idiotic idea, but nothing serious, really. A 14000$ dollards budget for a communication campain is nothing.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 11:25:14 am »

Seems like a good idea to me.  It reminds me of something similar we do in Vancouver where once in a while some of the salons do the hair and nails free of charge for a bunch of prostitutes and disadvantaged women in our slums.  Sometimes the little things can make a big difference.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 11:27:42 am »

Found a vid:
http://www.wftv.com/news/27603869/detail.html

It actually is wearable length, although it looks more like Red Riding Hood or bad Dracula B-movie ripoff than Superman.

Of course, the irony of it all is that to get them that cheap, they probably had to be made in China. Imagine being a laid-off textile worker and getting one of those.

But overall...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:31:59 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 11:52:48 am »

No, that's making a molehill out of a mountain. This is completely the other way round.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 11:53:36 am »

Idiotic idea, but nothing serious, really. A 14000$ dollards budget for a communication campain is nothing.

It is only a bad idea if it doesn't help people get jobs. Which it probably isn't.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:57:44 am by Urist is dead tome »
Pages: [1] 2