Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why did my Sheriff murder someone? Also, stuck Dwarf.  (Read 3293 times)

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Why did my Sheriff murder someone? Also, stuck Dwarf.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 03:41:13 pm »

If you give the sheriff a crap weapon like a wooden sword most fatal injuries will be to the head. If you assign a uniform with a helmet to everyone it will vastly reduce fatalities.

I just have a uniform for my guards that only has a wooden training sword... they go about their business thumping on dwarves but it doesn't ever seem to do much.

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 05:33:15 pm »

Do give them SOME sort of ineffective weapon though. Unarmed they tend to turn into legendary wrestlers/fighters and will end up punching your poor craftsdwarf's skull through his brain...

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 06:06:08 pm »

Do give them SOME sort of ineffective weapon though. Unarmed they tend to turn into legendary wrestlers/fighters and will end up punching your poor craftsdwarf's skull through his brain...

To be fair the recidivism rate is very low with that system.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 06:54:37 pm »

Building cells for justice, with chains not cages, will keep virtually all your "criminals" alive.  Even if you don't create food/booze stockpiles in the cells (which I'd recommend you do, but even if you don't...) they'll still probably get fed and watered, since dwarves still bring food and water to other healthy dwarves, periodically, for no discernable reason.  That should include prisoners, most likely before they die of dehydration.

The exceptional cases will be criminals who actually committed violent crimes, due to unhappy thoughts.  Being imprisoned gives another unhappy thought, so there's a chance some of these will go insane.  But there's also a chance they'll calm down and go on their way when the sentence has been served.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 09:41:15 pm »

The exceptional cases will be criminals who actually committed violent crimes, due to unhappy thoughts.  Being imprisoned gives another unhappy thought, so there's a chance some of these will go insane.  But there's also a chance they'll calm down and go on their way when the sentence has been served.
Building your cells so that you can restrict access, and stocking it with nice things to look at, a good bed to sleep on, good food and good drink should eliminate or offset unhappy thoughts. This may be enough to save your dwarf.

Put three different items (statue, weapon rack, armor rack, a bed, and two 2x1 stockpiles (1 for food and another for drink) and you should be set for justice purposes. Multiply by the number of cells you have.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 10:00:08 pm »

You know, I wonder how the Dwarves [ETHICS] settings affect punishments.

Is failing a mandate considered Treason? If so, changing their ethics on treason to PUNISH_SERIOUS or PUNISH_REPRIMAND would stop Sheriffs from killing those who fail them.

Or would it be OATH_BREAKING?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

lukasrygh23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 05:01:38 am »

You know, I wonder how the Dwarves [ETHICS] settings affect punishments.

Is failing a mandate considered Treason? If so, changing their ethics on treason to PUNISH_SERIOUS or PUNISH_REPRIMAND would stop Sheriffs from killing those who fail them.

Or would it be OATH_BREAKING?
Perhaps it would be BAD_LUCK, considering the sheer amount of impossible demands i get. i'm always asked for something i never have and it really annoys me.
Never appoint anyone who will do justice. or maybe do it the same way people treated the hammerer in previous versions (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Hammerer) and so they cant do beatings?
i dont tend to spoiler my text, i tell ppl the truth. how can u have spoilers in a sandbox(ish) game?

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 06:14:05 am »

You probably could mod out mandates altogether. The noble position definition raws (in entity_default) have tags that define how many mandates a noble can make at one time, so if you removed those or set them to 0 for every noble, no mandates should occur. Maybe compensate by increasing the number of demands? Demands cause unhappy thoughts in the noble, but not justice.
Oooh, that is good news. I have to check out this file, even though I found the perfect person for baronship in my current fortress. He only likes bismuth bronze, yaks, some colour, and some food and drink - in other words, his only mandates would be about bismuth bronze, and I happen to have plenty of that.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 07:08:46 am »

I wonder - What will happen if i assign crossbow to justice serving dwarf?

Will he try to shoot poor dwarf with steel bolt, or will he attempt to beat him with -featherwood crossbow-?

This could be potentionally usefull if he would be usefull against invaders (shooting bolts) but gentle against fellow dwarves.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 02:43:10 pm »

I know that when VANDALISM and TORTURE_ANIMALS are acceptable, the corresponding acts are no longer crimes under the dwarven justice system.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

andunuial

• Escaped Lunatic
  • umm yeah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 06:41:17 am »

Ahem. Am I missing something here?

I have seen the behaviour that the sheriff goes and kills people for not meeting mandates, ok.
You can even look this up under the 'z' menu, heading 'justice'.
So then I picked a room, put some chains in it and assigned them to justice.
Afterwards, people got some number of days in the stocks/chains for their 'crimes'.
No one starved and the place was even a favored hangout for some dwarfs.

More so in my current fortress.
Even though though it is much smaller than my legendary banquet hall, it is packed with dwarfs.
And there's nothing to see, because I even meet all mandates.
Pages: 1 [2]