Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Star Trek: Birth of the Federation  (Read 1325 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Star Trek: Birth of the Federation
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:25:52 am »

I've recently discovered this little gem, and wanted to make a thread about it. So, discuss discuss discuss! I know some vendors still sell it. It's basically galciv II in the star trek setting.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek: Birth of the Federation
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 07:50:31 am »

I just play GalCiv II.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:49 am »

This is one of those I periodically reinstall, hoping that a fresh eye will uncover some hidden nugget of gameplay that redeems it. Unfortunately, I've kind of hit a plateau where I'm like, "Ehh....it's not bad, but it's not great either."

Space combat is pretty woeful, about as bad as Star Wars: Rebellion but not quite. I like the tech tree, and the race-specific buildings, which definitely try to shape your grand strategy in certain ways consistent with each race's "hat".

I liked the role that minor races played (basically a bonus adder) and the multiple routes you can go to try and acquire them (conquest, diplomacy, or bribery), and the fact that some of the more potent minor races could be worth going to war over. But the diplomacy engine in general was clunky. You'd see declarations of war with no obvious trigger, and the AI just seemed...schizophrenic at times when it came to diplomacy.

Lack of ship customization was a disappointment but given that I tend to auto-resolve combats anyways it was a minor quibble.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 09:44:55 am »

This is one of those games that have great potential, but fail to deliver. The previous poster has a good summary. In addition, I neer understood how AI can research technology so fast and maintain so high tech fleets constantly. There seems to be huge gaps between difficulty levels and increasing difficulty just makes AI cheat blatantly. Meh, that is boring design.