Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: removing/modifying embark message  (Read 1769 times)

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
removing/modifying embark message
« on: April 20, 2011, 05:43:56 am »

When you press e on the items/dwarves thing a message comes up saying something about mountainhomes. how do I remove that? or better yet modify it?
1024: You brag about your golden goblin ejaculator.

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: removing/modifying embark message
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 06:29:09 am »

There's a thread around here... wtf2txt and txt2wtf... ah-ha!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81831.0
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 07:05:29 am »

There's a thread around here... wtf2txt and txt2wtf... ah-ha!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=81831.0

I can't figure out how to use these tools..

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:21:58 am »

Alright here's a step by step:

open a cmd prompt and navigate to where you installed/extracted the wtf tools. (In my case: p:\games\wtftools)
wtf2txt.exe "<directory info>\fortressintro" (in my case specifically: wtf2txt.exe "p:\games\Dwarf Fortress 31.25\data\announcement\fortressintro")
-This allows you to look at the file first (and make sure you can correct anything missing in the next step)
wtf2txt.exe "<directory info>\fortressintro" <outputfilename> (in my case specifically: wtf2txt.exe "p:\games\Dwarf Fortress 31.25\data\announcement\fortressintro" fortressintro.dwarfless.txt)
-This decrypts and outputs the file you want to change into a file in the wtftools directory.
At this point notepad should be fine (or whatever you have txt files associated with)... fast way to it: start <outputfilename> (in my case specifically: start "fortressintro.dwarfless.txt")
Change:

After a journey from the Mountainhomes into the
forbidding wilderness beyond, your harsh trek has finally

Into (for example):

After a journey from your homelands into the
forbidding wilderness beyond, your harsh trek has finally

Note anything missing (I seem to recall the "earth!" bit missing on the end of my file)Save the file, and close notepad (or whatever you have txt files associated with).
back in the cmd window:
txt2wtf.exe <outputfilename> "<directory info>\fortressintro" (in my case specifically: txt2wtf.exe fortressintro.dwarfless.txt "p:\games\Dwarf Fortress 31.25\data\announcement\fortressintro")

And viola the file has been adjusted. Note however that there are NOT a whole lot of things you can mod in. Mostly standard text. The variables are a crushingly small set. So while you could have you civilization spammed everywhere in it... you couldn't have it say dwarves/magmadrakes/mangamen because there's not a variable (Basing off of "Local_large_creature" being specific to the section that seems to cover the intro in the String Dump).

Anyone wanna chime in and correct me if I'm wrong? I'd really love to mention species, and not just the Parent Civilization...
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Befenismor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 08:44:46 am »

What a dull process. Well, it doesn't bother me that much I guess. Thanks anyway.