Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do megabeasts ever leave?  (Read 1372 times)

krescent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do megabeasts ever leave?
« on: April 20, 2011, 04:01:40 am »

A roc just flew in and I am totally not prepared to handle it...however it did finish off two stuck trolls that had me locked in 'siege' mode :)

will it go away on its own? or do I need to wait several years for my army to train up?

also...can it fly over my walls and into my fortress..?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
Re: Do megabeasts ever leave?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 04:07:34 am »

cough
a roc just FLEW in
can it fly over my walls?

the answer is yes. it can. obviously unless your walls have above them ground, in which case he can't. But if you leave an open space which lead to your fort yes, it can, and it will.

as far as i know they won't leave. slaughtering merchants and the like until you go and kill him. try to start hitting the first cavern level. It should help you with the trees and the brewing in case of siege. oh, careful for the FUN of the first cavern.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

krescent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 04:44:00 am »

right, i figured as much...however it HASNT yet which I found remarkable (i have dwarves chillin in my exterior statue garden), although it attacked the trolls almost immediately after showing up.

....ha! an ambush just killed it. well that's cool.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 09:17:09 am »

there tend to also be beasts who do not attack unless provoked, or unless a dwarf decides to bring the fun! to your fort by grabbing a Sock near the creature and then running back to the fort. >.>
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 01:46:15 pm »

Or you could just set up a cage trap over the entrance and have a new war roc.
Memento Mori

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 02:01:02 pm »

They never go away, i typically shut my doors and let the sieges handle the fire breathing mooses, powder oozing ticks and the like.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 03:15:06 pm »

In my current fort I have a platinum colossus that spews flesh rotting dust on a continual basis, causing an extremely contagious and 100% lethal flesh rotting disease. Also its made out of platinum, so I can't even kill it with ranged attacks by puncturing vital organs with bolts. Its pretty much indestructible.

Right now its locked up in the caverns.

I suspect it will remain locked up in the caverns for the indefinite future. :(

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 03:59:05 pm »

Cave in a hollow square of wall to trap it. Then drop the roof on its head.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 04:01:39 pm »

I generally create a cave in trap in a safe place, bait it with a worthless statue or something and then dig out to let the FB in. A cave-in will kill anything.  :)
Memento Mori

vassock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 04:05:31 pm »

Are ground tiles adjacent to wall tiles below them form an airtight barrier? I know that enemies and dwarfs can walk through horizontally diagonal walls:

XXXXX
X00000

can be passed.

XXXXXX
X00000

is airtight.

What about diagonally?

Is:

WWWWWWW
WFFFFFFFFW
WFFFFFFFFW
WFFFFFFFFW
WWWWWWW

airtight or do I have to build a floor tile (F) over each of the wall tiles (W, one z-level level down)?

FFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFF

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 05:56:15 pm »

Is:

WWWWWWW
WFFFFFFFFW
WFFFFFFFFW
WFFFFFFFFW
WWWWWWW

airtight or do I have to build a floor tile (F) over each of the wall tiles (W, one z-level level down)?

FFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFF
You do not need to build floor on top of walls to seal out rocs.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.