Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave civs?  (Read 1565 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Cave civs?
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:26:55 am »

So I had a swallow man civilization...Atleast they showed up on the civ screen. When I opened up the cavern they were all dead so I took the liberty to grab all their stuf. The civ screen also show that there are two more underground civs somewhere. Is there any way to give them gifts or something so that they don't attack me? the civ screen says that there are no offerings YET. So...

Also, why were they all just dead?

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Cave civs?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 12:31:35 am »

Something in the cavern probably wiped them out. They face the same danger as you do, a few days ago I met a antmen civ that was in the procces of beeing wipped out by a necrosis causing forgotten beast contaiment.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 12:32:31 am »

As far as I understand cavern civs can only be eliminated, and as thi said, something probably wiped them out.
Hello Hunam

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:45:53 am »

Oddly enough, if a member of a cave civ manages to kill a forgotten beast, they'll become "friendly" rather than "hostile".  At least, that's how it used to work...
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 12:58:33 am »

Asax the Cave-Swallow man, killer of three forgotten beasts. With nothing but a fungiwood spear too
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 04:30:26 am »

If I were you I'd wall up that cavern mighty quick. Have a look at the area around their corpses. Any blood? Extracts? And are all of their weapons accounted for?

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 05:20:14 am »

Wall up the cavern and leave any cave civs alone. In my current fort my local serpentman civ has killed 2 forgotten beast so far and they've only lost 3 of their number! Not bad considering they only have fungiwood spears/shields.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 05:28:12 am »

One would think that mushroom wood would be quite soft, and light.

Using a fungiwood spear would be like jabbing someone with a blunt stick.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:24:37 am »

Oddly enough, if a member of a cave civ manages to kill a forgotten beast, they'll become "friendly" rather than "hostile".  At least, that's how it used to work...
I saw this once in 31.18 and also once in 31.25

I never knew why one became "friendly". Thanks for explaining this, I was a mystery to me.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:09:44 am »

Does the individual or the civ become friendly?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 01:07:55 pm »

Individual. There's a friendly cave swallow spearman and a friendly olm spearman at Craftgates, but the rest of their groups are hostile, as is the other olm man tribe who lives there.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 02:20:04 pm »

Back in the old 2D versions, frogmen/lizardmen/snakemen would occasionally emerge from the cave river and ambush you; likewise, ratmen/batmen/antmen would emerge from the chasm. This was supposedly to have been brought back with version 0.31.xx's underground civilizations, but there are seemingly some bugs that prevent them from sieging/ambushing you.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Xorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 02:38:08 pm »

A few fortresses ago I checked to see what creatures were about on the 'u' page, to find a ratmen civilization and an redead undead dragon. I think the ratmen killed it. I never did find them though...