Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any games like Detroit?  (Read 11338 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Any games like Detroit?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 07:33:56 pm »

Well, there is Gangsters. I only ever played the second one and could not figure it out. It was rated very very low in PC gamer at the time (something like 55%), but it does deal with business fronts and bribery and the like.

Ratings mean nothing.  Gangsters was an absolutely hilarious "legitimate business" management game, because there wasn't much you couldn't do.  Gun down rivals, gun down cops, gun down random people on the street, firebomb absolutely anything, order your guys to run people over, even listen in while they break kneecaps for payment.  It's rather difficult to find though.

Hey, an old review that does justice to the good and bad points, from the ancient days when IGN was more than an advertisement directory.  Gives a pretty good description of the game.

There was a sequel "Gangsters 2" but it was more story/squad oriented, like a lot of modern RTS games, and wasn't as much fun on the business end.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 07:41:15 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 07:45:38 pm »

Well, there is Gangsters. I only ever played the second one and could not figure it out. It was rated very very low in PC gamer at the time (something like 55%), but it does deal with business fronts and bribery and the like.

Ratings mean nothing.  Gangsters was an absolutely hilarious "legitimate business" management game, because there wasn't much you couldn't do.  Gun down rivals, gun down cops, gun down random people on the street, firebomb absolutely anything, order your guys to run people over, even listen in while they break kneecaps for payment.  It's rather difficult to find though.

Hey, an old review that does justice to the good and bad points, from the ancient days when IGN was more than an advertisement directory.  Gives a pretty good description of the game.

There was a sequel "Gangsters 2" but it was more story/squad oriented, like a lot of modern RTS games, and wasn't as much fun on the business end.
Are there any other games that do the extortion business well? I remember one game I demo'ed a long while back and liked, but I lost it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 10:30:28 pm »

Oh, you should try Pizza Tycoon.

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 06:37:35 am »

Are there any other games that do the extortion business well? I remember one game I demo'ed a long while back and liked, but I lost it.
Mob Rule is pretty fun, it's like the Settlers mixed with Gangsters.
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/mob_rule

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 08:07:50 am »

I second Pizza Tycoon. Not only is it a great biz sim, it also has great pizza creation mechanic and lot's of mob jobs. Other than DF I think it's the game I have played the most of in the last 25 years.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 02:33:09 pm »

Hmmm, the guys who made the Gamebiz series also made a game called carbiz
http://www.veloci.dk/gamebiz/cb/

I haven't played it myself, but it has a demo and sounds pretty similar to the Detroit series.

If it's anything like Gamebiz, it'll be an addictive way to lose 6 hours.

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 03:19:39 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
I've been getting ideas in the meantime... are there any games that are set in the corporate world but play out like The Guild series? It'd be awesome to explore the depths of corporate ladder treachery, no?

Executive Suite

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 03:20:54 pm »

carbiz is just awful. nowhere near the level of polish in gamebiz
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 03:40:12 pm »

Like I said, I never really figured it out and only played the second one. It seemed really cool, but even when I returned to it as an adult gamer I could not figure out why my guys just stood around all day.

If Gangsters 1 is good I may go look into… Same with Mob Rule. Any more thoughts on that game?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 04:07:33 pm »

Same with Mob Rule. Any more thoughts on that game?

Uhg, I'd avoid it.  I played it for a while, but it's unconscionably boring and overcomplicated.  It's not a "mob sim" by any means, it really is more like Settlers.  Essentially, you have a city composed entirely of abandoned buildings, with only you and the other mobs actually existing.  It's really more of a city-building sim with some slapdash unit-lassoing combat, the entire game is a never ending series of tutorial missions, and no one part of it is actually fun.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 05:22:52 pm »

Ha ha, I had no idea!

Thanks for 'steering' me clear!

Chandos

• Bay Watcher
  • bork bork bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 05:55:43 pm »

Yeah I was excited about it too until I actually played it.
Executive Suite
Ah yes, I remember this one. Couldn't ever get it to work on my prehistoric computer back in the day.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 06:48:45 pm »

Inb4 21 years into game, stock market crashes and you automaticaly lose.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 01:42:20 am »

Been trying Gamebiz but I've just had 0 luck with anything I've tried to do - started over many times, on the easiest settings, and I still haven't gotten a profitable project. Any tips?

I've gone ahead and grabbed the Gamebiz 3 demo and that seems MUCH better in playability, a bit less depth as you can't do engines it seems but frankly I find it far, far more of a fun game, and the interface is much better designed. It's also still being supported and updated fairly regularly with a patch out in March. It also lets you play all the way to 2030 and choose your starting era. I may order this sometime.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:08:35 pm by Tilla »
Pages: 1 [2]