Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farm problems, Farmers not planting anything.  (Read 1103 times)

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farm problems, Farmers not planting anything.
« on: April 19, 2011, 10:27:09 pm »

It happened to me before. I asked about it in the small questions thread but was not answered.

Now it's happening to me again. I have several different plots. One for yearly plump helmets, one for 3/4 quarry bushes, one for cave wheat, one for pig tails. The off seasons are usually filled with dimple cups more plump helmets.

Then I have the outdoor farm. Strawberries, longland grass and others I don't remember.

After a while, plots stop working. Farmers began ignoring my main plump helmet plot, standing idly in my meeting hall with "no job" although the plot was empty and seeds were abundant. Then they moved on to ignoring other underground plants. I will mention again that I am overflowing with seeds. There are about 4 barrels full of seeds next to the farms and my Quern has millions.

Right now my 1st aboveground farm plot says "no seeds available for this eason", although I have plenty and my other plots seem fine.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farm problems, Farmers not planting anything.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:37:27 pm »

Did you make sure they have farmng turned on? or did they not build the farm, i had that problem in one of my first forts. Otherwise, I dont know, maybe its a glitch.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:39:19 pm »

Are your seeds forbidden/set to be dumped? I know i sometimes do that when im cleaning my fortress ( i know, its not dwarfy D: )

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:44:36 pm »

Are they behind a door or more generally can a dwarf walk to them? I put mine behind locked doors once, frustrated the heck out of me.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 10:12:15 pm »

No to all questions. The farms are definitely built, the seeds are not forbidden and right next to the farm. I'll take a screenshot sometimes tomorrow.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 10:20:03 pm »

did you manually set each farm for ALL seasons. When using the q cursor on the farm, you have to click a,b,c,d to switch seasons, and set a crop for each season, times each farm. And you definitely have farmers who don't have pesky hauling or anything turned on?

Check kitchen stocks - [z]->[Right Key]->[Enter] for a handy quick list of available seeds, make sure the seeds you want to plant show up in this list.

Try deconstructing and rebuilding the farms.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 10:27:06 pm by Reelyanoob »

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 10:29:45 pm »

If you are farming on muddied rock (instead of soil)... could some Dwarf with a neatness fetish have cleaned up the mud? This causes the farm to stop working, AFAIK.
Never pet a burning dog.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 10:33:26 pm »

Are your farmers in the military? Sometimes I find that my most advanced military dwarves will shut off all their labors after being activated.

Qc Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 02:35:05 am »

If you are farming on muddied rock (instead of soil)... could some Dwarf with a neatness fetish have cleaned up the mud? This causes the farm to stop working, AFAIK.

So far this may be the most plausible cause. I'll have to run some tests.