Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: O God! Flood!  (Read 676 times)

Tshiknn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Moron Next Door
    • View Profile
O God! Flood!
« on: April 19, 2011, 07:51:20 pm »

I'm pretty new to the game (obviously), so I flooded a room from a brook thinking that I could later block it off with a wall... I was wrong.  You can't put walls on tiles that are already flooded  :'( .

So yeah, now I'm pretty much "up a creek without a paddle", so to speak.  What should I do?

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: O God! Flood!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 07:55:18 pm »

This is a lesson you are now learning.

Plan 3 steps ahead.  Never leave anything to chance, and don't ever assume you can "do it later".  Also, never play with water (or magma) unless you have a floodgate at it's source.

Try blocking off the spread of the water "downstream".  It's your only hope.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 07:56:58 pm »

try to put a stop to the damage, build walls even if it's far from the room just to limit the damage, that's your best chance

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:49:48 pm »

I'm pretty new to the game (obviously), so I flooded a room from a brook thinking that I could later block it off with a wall... I was wrong.  You can't put walls on tiles that are already flooded  :'( .

So yeah, now I'm pretty much "up a creek without a paddle", so to speak.  What should I do?

Honest approach: wall it off far enough from the source that you can get the wall built without being flooded out in the construction process. Learn valuable lesson about water.

Cheaty McCheaterpants approach: use dfliquids (part of dfhack; google it) to make an obsidian plug and block it off.

Tshiknn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Moron Next Door
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:37:44 pm »

Luckily enough, it was on a lower level of my fort (which I had just started), so it won't cause any damage.  I've decided to use the "drain with an offshooting channel on a lower level".  I'm praying for the best... if it works, it'll work quickly since the water's only 1/7 for the time being.

EDIT: No dice.  I guess I'll just wall off that layer of the fort and call myself an epic fail for the time being.  Once I get access to lava, I'll flood it with lava and make an obsidian mine xD
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:49:10 pm by Tshiknn »

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:52:35 pm »

bringing magma up is really painfull, easy way: build a screw pump or 2 to drain the water coming fom one way for just enough time so you can wall the part that dried

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 10:25:57 pm »

bringing magma up is really painfull, easy way: build a screw pump or 2 to drain the water coming fom one way for just enough time so you can wall the part that dried
Expanding on this, have the pump drain the water back into the source. It'll keep the area dry long enough for a dwarf to place a floodgate to block the source. Also, pump the water into a 'tunnel' made from constructed walls, I had an unfortunate accident where the water overflowed and washed the pump operator into the river :/
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Tshiknn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Moron Next Door
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:09:58 pm »

Alright, screw it.  I'm learning the basics before I take up pump stack operating.  Until then, I'll just leave it there.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:14:15 pm by Tshiknn »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 12:11:02 am »

Lots of pumps on and just before the area you want to wall or floodgate off. Pump the water off the map or something

Lord Aldrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 12:19:04 am »

You don't need lots of pumps or a pump stack. A single pump moves water RIDICULOUSLY fast. Faster than it flows naturally. See: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Stupid_dwarf_trick#Moses_Effect

So. Just build a single pump up by the brook inlet, pump out the water there, then wall it off while the tiles are dry. Then you can later find a way to drain or pump out your room without it refilling from the brook.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 02:02:36 am »

Your first goal now should to be to set up some walls to temporarily seal the water in. Remember, water can move diagonally. You can drain water off map by smoothing/fortifying a wall that's adjacent to the map edge. Using this and a well placed cave in (It needs to fit exactly in the hole) you can stop the water flow. Before you start it up again remember to put flood gates in and link them to a lever!

Tshiknn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Moron Next Door
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 06:10:40 pm »

Wow! Fast response, but I'm good for now =D