Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Elves buying prisoners  (Read 2492 times)

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elves buying prisoners
« on: April 19, 2011, 07:41:21 pm »

Perhaps elves could buy your captured prisoners as a delicacy, after all the elves accept eating sentient beings (And even seem to prefer it looking at legends). It makes sense that they might want to take a few of your spare blood baloons to keep their kitchens stocked.

It might be against dwarven ethics to butcher someone then eat them, but turning a profit seems to be a dwarves second favorite thing to do right after dieing.

There has been some misconception about what im suggesting.
Im NOT suggesting dwarven slavery.
Im NOT suggesting to turn dwarves into cruel creatures.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 11:55:45 pm by Avo »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Elves buying prisoners
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 07:49:30 pm »

They eat the bodies of the dead, but they don't butcher the living to do that. 

Think of it more like being a vulture that makes sure none of the animal goes to waste. 

They use the dead body because it's there, and it would be wasteful not to use it, but they don't go slaughtering people just for food, either.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 07:50:44 pm »

what about waiting for the prisoner to die of natural reasons, like livestock you don't butcher?

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 07:52:14 pm »

Common misconception.  Elves don't like eating sentient beings.  They do, however, eat enemies they have just killed.  Subtle but appreciable difference.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 07:53:36 pm »

I personally think it would be hilarious, dwarvenly and cruel to dispose of your captured sentients this way but the general feeling seems to be a no.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 08:14:15 pm »

The Dwarvenly Way is not cruelty.  That's just your imagination because you make them do cruel things.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:17:00 pm »

The Dwarvenly Way is not cruelty.  That's just your imagination because you make them do cruel things.
You sir, are an elf. Grow a beard and build something torturous! The dwarven way is cruelty, most dwarf fortress players play cruelly therefore most dwarves are cruel. Since most dwarves are cruel there way is considered cruel.

Do i need to refer you to the mermaid thread?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:19:52 pm by Avo »

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 08:20:51 pm »

Do I need to refer you to:

[ETHIC:SLAVERY:UNTHINKABLE]?

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 08:25:11 pm »

Once again, a discussion of dwarven ethics.

Does selling prisoners to elves really count as slavery?

I think that you should be able to sell prisoners to anyone, think of it less as slavery and more as a privatised penal system, like in the USA.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 08:26:51 pm »

Do i need to refer you to the mermaid thread?

Do I need to refer you to the fact that Toady changed the code in mermaids so you couldn't do that anymore?

Toady specifically did not like the fact that people did that, and took steps to make sure it was not done again. 

Toady's vision of dwarves does NOT have them butchering mermaids.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 08:35:16 pm »

Keep in mind that NW_Kohaku has modded dwarves to have just such tags that allow these kind of behaviors into the Glazing mod.  So therefore I believe Kohaku's opinion on Dwarven ethics holds a bit of weight.  After all, it's necessary to mod Dwarves in order to make them as cruel as many assume them to be.  Don't feel bad, you're not alone in thinking they're evil Avo... but as far as the vanilla game has things set up, that's not the case.

Anyways, back on topic, Elves would not buy prisoners for foodstuffs, no matter what Dwarven ethics were.  They're not cannibals.  They eat enemies they have killed, NOT sentients in general.  And why would they buy, say, Goblins from the Dwarves? After all, we can rightfully assume that they get enough Goblins of their own.  Look at the wars in Legends.  Goblins attack Elves as much if not MORE often than they attack Dwarves.  So they have a steady, renewable supply of Goblins of their own, if they should so wish to have them.  No need to buy them from Dwarves.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 08:39:48 pm »

Keep in mind that NW_Kohaku has modded dwarves to have just such tags that allow these kind of behaviors into the Glazing mod. 

Wait, what?

I didn't mod the ethics of dwarves in the glazing mod.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 08:42:35 pm »

Didn't you? Sorry.  I know for a fact that you modded their religions to include Depravity and Cruelty.  You even marked the lines with "******" to bring attention to them.

I assumed too much.  But your opinion still holds weight on that.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 08:45:21 pm »

Didn't you? Sorry.  I know for a fact that you modded their religions to include Depravity and Cruelty.  You even marked the lines with "******" to bring attention to them.

I assumed too much.  But your opinion still holds weight on that.

That wasn't part of the glazing mod, that was just something I did for the community fortress thing (where I put in the religions of the players, not of dwarves).  If that was a part of the glazing mod, it was by mistake.

Even then, that's not the ethics, that's the religion.  The ethics were still the same.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 08:49:51 pm »

I figured it was accidental, since what does Religion have to do with glazing things, right?
Pages: [1] 2 3