Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod to show location of circus on embark map?  (Read 824 times)

Dragonfel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod to show location of circus on embark map?
« on: April 19, 2011, 06:32:44 pm »

I think the title says it all, I want to build my fort near the circus but I don't want to have to embark in 20 places before I find a good spot. I know you can hit shift+r to see if the building is there, but other than that I have no idea how to see before embarking.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Mod to show location of circus on embark map?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:35:54 pm »

Not possible in the slightest, I'm afraid.

This is not a moddable thing, it would require an external program, and I'm not sure the ones we have are up to snuff on that quite yet.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:30:17 pm »

I think I might have a trick that would work...but it'd be a brute force solution, kinda crude and not really useful if your computer is like mine.

1. Copy the save directory, making a backup of the generated world.
2. Expand your embark location to encompass most or all of the available area.
3. Find the Circus using reveal.  Note its location and judge its suitability. 
4. Abandon, delete save directory, replacing it with the backup you made in step 1.

You now know where a Circus is.  Happy hunting - and I hope you find a better method of looking than this one.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:48:29 pm »

That's exactly why there isn't a program to do it, Talanic.  You need to load the data before you can search it, and you can't load it unless you can load a 16x16 embark area.

Of course, just about everyone should be able to LOAD a 16x16, it just won't be playable.  Doing this and using dfreveal is guaranteed to find the big top, however.

Also it's not necessary to save scum like that.  Just force-kill DwarfFortress.exe with Ctrl-Alt-Del (if you're using Linux I don't need to tell you how to kill a program tho, do I?)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:16:31 pm »

That's exactly why there isn't a program to do it, Talanic.  You need to load the data before you can search it, and you can't load it unless you can load a 16x16 embark area.

Of course, just about everyone should be able to LOAD a 16x16, it just won't be playable.  Doing this and using dfreveal is guaranteed to find the big top, however.

Also it's not necessary to save scum like that.  Just force-kill DwarfFortress.exe with Ctrl-Alt-Del (if you're using Linux I don't need to tell you how to kill a program tho, do I?)

That isn't possible in most worlds.

DF is not programmed for 64-bit memory.  It cannot hold more than 2 gigs of data in memory before it crashes. 

With the multiple additional z-levels, and everything going on in the cavern layers, a 16x16 embark will crash your game to desktop.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:22:12 pm »

Strange.  I could have sworn I loaded a 16x16 on a computer with 2gb of memory, and it was loaded but completely unplayable (7 dwarves with no flows, paused and nothing happening... 10 fps)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 11:29:03 am »

Which version was it?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:48:40 am »

That... I do not remember.  Surely not .31.18 or newer tho.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 02:36:17 pm »

I've been able to load 16x16 embarks in recent versions (.23 or later) without doing any of the usual layer-reducing things. But it takes forever, and 8x8 embarks are much quicker even if you need to load all four of them to find what you're after.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.