Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What was the 2D like?  (Read 1329 times)

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What was the 2D like?
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:02:00 am »

I'm kind of having trouble visualising DF without a Z axis. Did everyone just live above grounds and in the adjacent rock or something?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: What was the 2D like?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 08:12:00 am »

There was one layer, flat outside to the left with outdoors, and a cliff to the right. You can still download and try it, you know? DF 0.23.130.23a (January 18, 2007) is the last 1-z release.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

sinoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sinoth.net
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 08:47:00 am »

If you've never played 2D, I highly suggest trying it.  Link here: df_23_130_23a.zip

While not as complex as the 3D version (no mechanics, among other things) the 2D has its merits.  It has a more obvious goal.  First, you gotta find the river.  Then you find the chasm.  Then the lava.  Then you go across the lava.  Every map you play follows this progression.  I don't really like that better than the current open-ended approach, but it's still very enjoyable.  No more hunting for the perfect spot that has water and lava and a chasm, because you get it every time  :)

[i do not regret]

Sykirobme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 08:55:00 am »

The 2d version also had a very different feel in how the game was (for lack of a better term) "staged."

As you couldn't dump an anvil for cheap points at startup (your first anvil always came with an immigrant smith), you could only take a very limited menu of items with your initial seven dwarves.

So you were very much playing a survival game for the first year: dig into the cliff and find the river (every map had a river, chasm and magma flow), establish your farms and food industry as quickly as possible, or divert the outside stream into your cave to set up a farm.  You also had to get a well up and running quickly as your booze was wont to run out before you could get your brewing industry up.  After establishing your food supply, you could worry about the details of your fort.

You also encountered certain ores in sequence: copper, then silver, then gold, then iron, then adamantine, etc.  Everything in the game was set for constant escalation in value, danger, etc.  All in all, quite a different experience from the 3d version, which I like better as it's far richer in the long run, even if you don't have the built-in pressure from the beginning to feed your dwarves.

ka KenHR on most other fora.

Thingy Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Disemboweld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 08:58:00 am »

I kinda miss the days when if you didn't lock a door or put up a floodgate right you would flood the world... Also elephants being gray wrinkly ninjas not like the gray wrinkly pansies they've become.

I say all who haven't tried out 2d should give Boatmurderd a read, It's a good story and it also shows numerous things you could only do in 2d.

I still have a folder with 2d in it, I play it occasionally.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 11:46:00 am »

Farming was a lot harder in 2d, because you couldn't do it outdoors, and there was no soil indoors.  There's lots of little interface enhancements and gameplay tweaks that we've gotten since 2D.  Technically you can play 3D like 2D, just don't move the camera up or down ;p

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »

3D is alot more advanced, as everyone has said... but it's also ALOT easier. 2D felt less freeform and more linear - you had a series of challenges. The 2D version was really alot more fun in a way, though once you got all the challenges figure out there is nothing much else to do with it (all maps were almost exactly the same).

It also ran alot faster which is a definite plus.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

yeah, seasonal floods.  no outdoor crops or construction. 7x7 caveins.  floodgates and permafloods must have been much harder to understand and deal with, because they are not the topic of every third forum post anymore.

remember that guy who built an all-outdoor fort and just engraved the cliff face?  without all the colors and constructed walls and floors, people got very creative in order to decorate.  

remember Copperblazes and (my own) Sigunlokun?  I think theyre still on the DFMA along with countless other works of art.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 09:58:00 pm »

I remember Copperblazes... I think its still possible to download the save file with the too-deeped Copperblazes on it for exploring.

I have taken to playing the 2D version occasionally in the past few weeks, and to me the games both feel very different.

The 3D version always feels to me more about building monumental buildings and stuff. Not because you have to, its just that its the coolest thing to do.

The 2D version seems more action packed, though. There are just generally more dangers to face (my current game has swarms of Gorilla's outside, then the occasional croc from the river and I'm in my 2nd year and have already had an ambush of about 10 Ratmen from the chasm).

I'm sure when the army arc is released this will change but at the moment the 2D version has far more fighting to do than the 3D version, even taking into account the ambushes. However, the 3D version has a lot more in the way of construction abilities.

I think it would be great if, sometime, a "Dwarf Fortress Classic" mode was made, which would basically be a set map just like the origional and no Z-levels... everything else the same though, cos the actual interface has improved greatly since the Z-axis.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 12:21:00 am »

Nah, we don't need a classic mode.  We just need ambushes from feature critters again.

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 01:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>Nah, we don't need a classic mode.  We just need ambushes from feature critters again.</STRONG>

Seconded.

火族

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »

quote:
We just need ambushes from feature critters again.

Wait, does it mean that all the river/chasm attack tags are useless now?!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 05:18:00 pm »

This thread makes me feel old.

I just realized that someday I'm going to have to say "well son, back in MY day dwarf fortress was 2d and pluto was a planet."

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

I miss having cave rivers, floods, chasm attacks, lava and adamantium demons all on the same map
Pages: [1] 2